News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

8 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD drops below US$100 on Amazon

Started by Redaktion, April 20, 2023, 21:45:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Available on Amazon for almost five years, the 8 TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive reached its all-time high price of US$224.99 in early April 2019. Camelcamelcamel reveals an average price of US$140.69 based on the last 50 changes, with the lowest value being the current discounted price of US$99.99.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/8-TB-Seagate-Barracuda-HDD-drops-below-US-100-on-Amazon.708940.0.html

TruthIsThere

I would rather trust writing on water before I would ever have another SeaSickness drive in our home for anything.

kek

This is a SMR drive, and a slow one at it. It's not worth it at any price point. It will be a huge pain in the a** to use later on when it gets filled

Codrut Nistor

NikoB

It is very slow for backup purposes, just when you need to fill in a huge amount of files of different sizes very quickly - it is in such a situation that all SMRs get into a stupor.

Moreover, its read/write error rate is 10 times higher than that of the Toshiba MG series, for example. And the recording resource per year is only 180TB, instead of 550 for MG.

Codrut Nistor

When I say backup I mostly think about "drop a few huge archives on it and refresh them from time to time", not daily/weekly scheduled data writing-intensive backups. I have a Toshiba MC04ACA400E in my desktop PC and it works like a charm. 67k power-on hours and counting, 0 raw read error rate...

Crowfather

I signed up just to comment this.

Dont buy these drives. They're SMR drives which means they're Slooooooooooooooow.

The Werewolf

Sorry, but a cheap unreliable hard drive isn't a bargain.

With one exception, all the drives I've owned that have failed catastrophically have been Seagates. I've had one WD drive fail ever and it was a SAFE fail (onboard diagnostics warn of an impending failure) so I had lots of time to get my data off the drive.

I've even bought Seagates that were DOA and had to get the seller to replace them. Again, never happens with WDs.

I have 20 HDs online and 15 offline for backups running for over 10 years, for context.

asl97

People clearly don't know the right way to use SMR drives, it's meant for backup like Codrut said.

Few huge archives is fine but daily backup works better with a proper backup system like whole disk image and snapshot using RoW, where all changes since last backup is all in one file image.

Codrut Nistor

Quote from: The Werewolf on April 21, 2023, 18:57:59Sorry, but a cheap unreliable hard drive isn't a bargain.

With one exception, all the drives I've owned that have failed catastrophically have been Seagates. I've had one WD drive fail ever and it was a SAFE fail (onboard diagnostics warn of an impending failure) so I had lots of time to get my data off the drive.

I've even bought Seagates that were DOA and had to get the seller to replace them. Again, never happens with WDs.

I have 20 HDs online and 15 offline for backups running for over 10 years, for context.
The only DOA drive I ever got was a WD. An Enterprise drive, to make the matters worse. Also, I had one WD die all of a sudden, a few months after its warranty expired. This doesn't make me say that WD is a bad brand, only that I had been unlucky with WD drives.

NikoB

The first rule of buying an HDD (the most fragile item on the planet) is never buy it remotely. Only at the local store. With a mandatory check at the time of purchase, for vibration, noise and surface quality, for example in HDAT2.

Buying such a product remotely is a belief in chance, at random. Like buying from a local store without checks.

I act in this way - weeded out a lot of clearly defective (probably somewhere along the way that were hit) HDDs in stores.

But even a disk that is ideal in tests, later, due to hidden mechanical defects, may well suddenly fail. Therefore - a guarantee, strictly 5 years.

And these are only series like Toshiba MG, because. WD costs significantly more than the corporate sector. For old times' sake, I prefer not to get involved with Seagate.

Codrut Nistor

@NikoB, I only have a minor comment: I think the most fragile item on the planet is a woman's ego. :)

NikoB

My experience shows that this is not so - women are the most cruel creatures on the planet and certainly not fragile.

Codrut Nistor

Well, it's easy to hurt their ego. What happens to the perpetrator after that, it's another story. :D

Targaid

You think it's not a bargain in the US? Here in the UK we're still being charged £230 for it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview