News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSD gets another massive price cut on Amazon

Started by Redaktion, March 26, 2023, 18:31:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The lightning-fast NVMe SSD with 1TB of storage capacity was still hovering around the US$100 just a few months ago, which makes Amazon's current deal for the sought-after Samsung 980 Pro absolutely noteworthy.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-980-Pro-1TB-SSD-gets-another-massive-price-cut-on-Amazon.703695.0.html

NikoB

After the global scandal with their quality, nothing is surprising.

Earning a reputation as the highest quality SSD supplier on the planet is extremely difficult. Losing everything is easy and fast...

And this is immediately reflected in prices. If there is no difference, why pay more for Samsung?

Triples

Op didn't mention certian 980 pro m. 2 drives have a hugh issuse depending on what firewaee they have out of box. This issuse can and will 100% for ur drive into read only mode in time. You will not be able to add anything to drive after that. Samsung does have tools u can run to get fw, and update fw of said effected drives. Once done you won't have issue of drive failure.. I bet this is a hugh reason for the sale on said drive/stock. Quick Google search on Samsung 980 pro issuses and it will be very apparent. Op could have worte a article just on that fact and sale dumping stock of items onto customers with no warning.

Enrico Frahn

Quote from: Triples on March 27, 2023, 04:57:08Op didn't mention certian 980 pro m. 2 drives have a hugh issuse depending on what firewaee they have out of box. This issuse can and will 100% for ur drive into read only mode in time. You will not be able to add anything to drive after that. Samsung does have tools u can run to get fw, and update fw of said effected drives. Once done you won't have issue of drive failure.. I bet this is a hugh reason for the sale on said drive/stock. Quick Google search on Samsung 980 pro issuses and it will be very apparent. Op could have worte a article just on that fact and sale dumping stock of items onto customers with no warning.

"OP" has mentioned this potential issue in the third paragraph and even embedded a video that discusses this type of failure ;)

asl97

Half the speed at almost 4 times more TBW (1TB/2200TBW) warranty at a slightly cheaper price or the 2TB/4400TBW model at about 65% more expensive or this.

Personally I go with more TBW, mostly because my computer only support gen 3 anyway and who knows, by the time I buy a newer computer, gen 5 or 6 could be out and this would just become my portable SSD like my old SATA SSD, where the TBW should hopefully means it will last a long long time.

Triples

Ah, seems OP did mention failure of drive,as for vid never saw it as no vids or ads display in my viewing experience. As for the writing portion, didn't mention why a clear update was required. Premature failure rate could be anything, it's like telling someone to update a program just to realize a other update is needed to fix what was broke from update. Not a mess up in the firmware cause the drive to error out and forcing it into read only mode. That's a very important reason to update.Also important part why these drives could be on sale. People came to read not watch a video, so that important info on why a update should be applied would be benfical in the writing.

MichOutdoors

Quote from: asl97 on March 27, 2023, 07:07:25Half the speed at almost 4 times more TBW (1TB/2200TBW) warranty at a slightly cheaper price or the 2TB/4400TBW model at about 65% more expensive or this.

Personally I go with more TBW, mostly because my computer only support gen 3 anyway and who knows, by the time I buy a newer computer, gen 5 or 6 could be out and this would just become my portable SSD like my old SATA SSD, where the TBW should hopefully means it will last a long long time.

What is half the speed and 4 times more TBW? You didn't reference any brand or model you are talking about.

asl97

Quote from: MichOutdoors on March 27, 2023, 21:04:20
Quote from: asl97 on March 27, 2023, 07:07:25Half the speed at almost 4 times more TBW (1TB/2200TBW) warranty at a slightly cheaper price or the 2TB/4400TBW model at about 65% more expensive or this.

What is half the speed and 4 times more TBW? You didn't reference any brand or model you are talking about.

Half the speed means gen 3 and there is only one brand that gives such high TBW, I admit 1TB 2200TBW doesn't give clear results, even bing chat failed to find it, but bing has no issue finding 2TB 4400TBW

imgur.com/a/skSa342

It's Transcend 220S

NikoB

Quote from: asl97 on March 28, 2023, 05:43:41It's Transcend 220S
Anyone versed in SSDs is well aware that Transcend of this series has a memory bus narrowed to 16 bits, and everyone already knows how they cheat with the declared write resource on their website and for distributors who regularly rewrite this resource from there to their online catalogs. Their real resource is 5-6 times lower than the amount recorded for it on marketing site and the fall of the resource counter in % of 100% declared according to the results.

Transcend also known scammers with the declared size of flash drives - for example, they indicate 64GB on the package, i.e. 64,000,000,000 bytes available to the user in total, but in reality there is 60.6GB or 60,600,000,000 bytes. And they also like to deceive customers by changing the type of NAND chips without a declaration on the box in the series, when all the reviews (old) assure otherwise.

As a result, one person buys their flash drive with MLC chips and it stores data for more than 3 years without loss of read speed, and the other buyer takes a larger capacity flash drive from the same series, where there are already TLC chips and where the recorded data drops in read speed by 10 times per 3-3.5 years. At the same time, a more capacious flash drive is 2 times slower than a less capacious one of the same series on MLC in terms of write speed. Ordinary inhabitants do not notice all these dirty tricks when buying, and such swindlers successfully breed them.

NikoB

220S is the cheapest series in our stores and no one wants to take it, because. all buyers are already aware of what it is according to professional reviews. Therefore, the series is cheap, at the level of little-known Chinese manufacturers.

980Pro, thanks to Samsung's old good reputation, is 3-3.5 times more expensive for the same capacity...

asl97

Quote from: NikoB on March 28, 2023, 16:21:48220S is the cheapest series in our stores and no one wants to take it, because.
sound to me like you are a unofficial third party reseller, the average price of reseller are 2x in my area compare to the official online store listed on their website during sales, ever consider that might be the reason?

Quote from: NikoB on March 28, 2023, 16:21:48980Pro, thanks to Samsung's old good reputation, is 3-3.5 times more expensive for the same capacity...
technically you should be comparing it to the 970, but anyway I don't really believe you saying your price being 3x-3.5x more, unless you are telling me you are selling 1TB 220S for US$25, in which case I gladly take 1 or even a few if you include an enclosure to be used as an external ssd

Quote from: NikoB on March 28, 2023, 16:14:29Transcend also known scammers with the declared size of flash drives - for example, they indicate 64GB on the package, i.e. 64,000,000,000 bytes available to the user in total, but in reality there is 60.6GB or 60,600,000,000 bytes.
All of them brand has size differences, it about the 1000bytes vs 1024bytes, samsung also fudge up the numbers on their phone recently, it's the same old dumb misconceptions and some brand does stupid things about how they shows the number

Quote from: NikoB on March 28, 2023, 16:14:29changing the type of NAND chips without a declaration on the box in the series,
Pretty sure Samsung done it too, the shortage causes whole bunch of brand to change internal parts

Quote from: NikoB on March 28, 2023, 16:14:29where the recorded data drops in read speed by 10 times per 3-3.5 years. At the same time, a more capacious flash drive is 2 times slower than a less capacious one of the same series on MLC in terms of write speed.
speed doesn't magically drop, TLC means you get only 1/3 available for SLC cache (speed) compare to 1/2 of MLC, it get more noticeable as you fill the drives up and depending on the model and how they handled after running out of SLC cache space, the drives might take it's time to compact the data and free up cells for SLC cache too

And it's fairly common knowledge MLC would be faster than TLC

Just need to read the specs sheet, HDD also has similar nonsense with CMR and SMR mix within the same model at different capacity

Mikke

Who Will buy it? This thing can Heat to 100 degrees. It many more better ones

NikoB

Quote from: asl97 on March 28, 2023, 17:15:34All of them brand has size differences, it about the 1000bytes vs 1024bytes, samsung also fudge up the numbers on their phone recently, it's the same old dumb misconceptions and some brand does stupid things about how they shows the number
Are you sure you read what I wrote? Because you write complete nonsense. Where do I write about GiB? We are talking about GB - degree 10, not 2(GiB). Transcend are well-known scammers. Although such tricks with deception by the size of flash drives - there really are still some brands.

By the way - thanks to this deception - they are easy to hand over at any time under warranty to the seller. After all, a simple quality check (and even more so a forensic examination) will immediately detect forgery on the part of the manufacturer - with what is written on the package and what is actually available to the buyer.
For example, I easily handed over such flash drives, the sellers could never refuse me, realizing that they would lose the case 100% in court. Therefore, they simply had no arguments, and their relationship with the manufacturer does not bother me at all, these are their personal problems.

Quote from: asl97 on March 28, 2023, 17:15:34Pretty sure Samsung done it too, the shortage causes whole bunch of brand to change internal parts
I have never heard of Samsung's memory type scam. There are already many problems with the quality, but not with such deception. Here at other manufacturers, I really read about such a deception, and an obvious one. Or implicit, as I wrote above - a flash drive of the same series, but with a smaller volume on MLC, and with a large one on TLC with sharply worse characteristics, but because the packaging does not say about the type of memory, this can be considered a buyer's problem. But they write the exact size of the flash drive and blatantly deceive. And for example, in their SSD they do not have such a deception. If 1TB is written, then you will definitely get at least 1000000000000 bytes available to the user. From the point of view of the size in their SSD, they have nothing to complain about legally.

It should also be understood that a cheap 3D MLC grade can be worse than the AA+ 3D TLC grade in terms of quality and data storage time without updating cells. I encountered this on a LiteOn SSD with 3D MLC.

Quote from: asl97 on March 28, 2023, 17:15:34I don't really believe you saying your price being 3x-3.5x more, unless you are telling me you are selling 1TB 220S for US$25, in which case I gladly take 1 or even a few if you include an enclosure to be used as an external ssd
Prices vary everywhere. We have 220S costs about $75, and 980Pro $210-220 for 1TB.

Quote from: asl97 on March 28, 2023, 17:15:34speed doesn't magically drop, TLC means you get only 1/3 available for SLC cache (speed) compare to 1/2 of MLC,
You again write some nonsense, as if you are dyslexic and unable to understand what is written. And I wrote that on (3D)TLC memory, the loss of charge in 3-3.5 years, even with minimal wear, reaches such a value that the reading speed drops by almost 10 times. Given that on the same flash drive, the same series but with (3D)MLC - the speed drops at best for the same series flash drives time by 5-10%, no more. Feel and realize the difference...do you still want to use 3D TLC flash drives to back up your data for a long time?

I definitely don't want to. But we are left with no choice - today it is almost impossible to buy an MLC or SLC flash or SSD. And even at the cost of reducing the size of the flash, manufacturers do not give buyers the right to reformat the disk in MLS or SLC mode. The firmware can easily do this and work in this mode. But we are deliberately not given this.

What's stopping you from selling 1TB SLC drives today instead of 4TB QLC? Nothing but the unwillingness of manufacturers to sell such disks and the unwillingness to switch the entire volume of the disk to permanent SLC mode in the QLC firmware of disks, which is done elementarily, because. all drives have SLC cache.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview