News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Tesla owners pay 74% higher premium as insurers often total new EVs with battery 'going straight to the grinder'

Started by Redaktion, March 21, 2023, 14:21:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Teslas are the most expensive EVs and the second priciest car brand to insure with only the maker of Dodge Charger commanding higher premiums. It costs 74% more to insure a Tesla than the US national average since insurers often write the whole EV off as damaged rather than deal with impossible battery repairs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla-owners-pay-74-higher-premium-as-insurers-often-total-new-EVs-with-battery-going-straight-to-the-grinder.702429.0.html

youngCRV

neblogai

Quote from: toto1234 on March 21, 2023, 15:21:22it's getting obvious that EV are a scam, just like all the rest of that "green" bullshit energy

Yeah, that is why the prices of battery electric cars are about to become lower than cars with internal combustion engines, pushing ICE ones out completely.

LL

They are not scam, but we are only now start to know the real cost. I thing only in 10-20 years we will have enough feedback.

Anti-propaganda man

They are a scam. Not "green" either. Require 10x the amount of materials to be extracted and processed in manufacture than real cars (ICE). Carbon dioxide is plant food. EVs are beneficial in cities for air quality due to no local exhaust emissions. That's it. Not really environmental, but human health benefits. They are not suitable anywhere else. There's a reason they have subsidies and are being pushed on people, with bans on real cars. Let the market decide, some people will prefer them (maybe 10% of the population).

LL

I don't care about CO2. Like you says it is plant food and the climate change  always existed - so an anti scientific declaration in itself since cannot be falsified- The thing is fashion(virtue) and multigenerational economic card shuffling  and one more step in incrase of power in political system in the path for a totalitarian democracy , but that do not make the electric cars useless or a scam.

Strategically it is important we increase redundancy of fuel necessary for transportation, the best for that is electricity that can be produced in many ways some we might don't even know for the future.
While with fuel-gasoline we stuck with only one method and it is much less abundant geographically.

anan

Carbon footprint of manufacturing and running an EV is not that higher than an ICE car. This has been counted many times over. Even in states that primarily get their electricity from coal an EV manufacture/running carbon footprint is offset in 5 years (with average US use). There is other non carbon pollution that is associated with mineral mining. That pollution stays within the country of origin. China is the primary source of these rare earth minerals and they pollute a lot to mine them as cheep as possible. These pollutants are not counted in EV production charts as they are impossible to gouge (not provided by China).
EVs on average are better for the environment. But at the moment their production generates a lot of pollution that might cause serious problems in the future.
Those EVs that are written off by insurers get resold, fixed and sold in other countries. Insurers still get a lot from those sales.

BHH

My TESLA S (2016) costs ~$150/month insurance. But also, I have had $0 in repair costs (except for 1 accident (rear ended while stopped at a light) and $0 in maintenance costs apart from new tires since purchasing the car. I also charge the car primarily with solar panels at home. The cost of running this car has been far below even our Toyota Prius. And to those of you who "don't care about CO2," our grandchildren will be the ones to suffer the (already manifesting) climate disasters stemming from this attitude.

Lawrence Jolicoeur

I've had my model Y for 5 months , my insurance is $200 cheaper than the insurance on the Ford Escape we had before . Maybe you should do a little research first . But I have a feeling you did none

LL

Take care to read carefully about scientific method BHH and climate history, how do you explain year 1540 in Europe ? It is not enough having a science or scientist tag in it.
Climate have been changing since ever do to solar system, planetary and earth changes and other factors we don't know se we can't give weights. Plus even by itself since climate is also a cumulative process, past climate influences todays climate, how do you measure that?  It is impossible. There are things that are impossible for us to know, even if the educational complex tries to sell it otherwise.

TBH

Perhaps the self professed environmentalists should stop tell us the world will end in 5 years. Now they have zero credibility, make everyone question their 'science' , and create serious roadblocks for anyone who may have a genuine environmental argument.

LG

I love when you read comments from EV owners bragging about no maintenance and how they can charge their cars at home for $7. But they don't tell you that they had to buy a charger and have their garage rewired or their insurance costs more. As my 20 yo vehicle approaches 300K miles, I will gladly pay my $300 biannual insurance payment and my $100 monthly gas bill knowing that I can fill up in under 5 minutes and drive from coast to coast  without using an app to find "fuel" at 2am

Sheila

Untrue. My auto insurance for my Tesla Model Y was a few hundred less expensive than my insurance for my Audi A4, on Geico. So get Geico and enjoy the safest car in existence.

Michael Feierman

Simply not true.  My insurance cost for my Tesla is only minimally more than that for my Honda SUV. Also, all the talk about the environmental costs of batteries ignores the fact that the fossil fuel industry is BY FAR the single most polluting industry on earth from extracting, refining and, of course, MAJOR environmental oil spills throughout the world.

Ramy Habib

Hello there, I disagree with some of the information here. First I got a 2022 Model Y 6 months ago, my insurance went down $60 cheaper than my traditional Infiniti Q70 over 6 months. EV insurance is cheaper than traditional cars due to the amount of safety and security features. Im not the only one but i asked around and this is what i was told before i buy my Model Y. Im not sure about the relationship between the battery in used electric cars and insurance companies as to fix a battery if the car is non operational will fall into warranty coverage rather than insurance claim not sure and haven't heard of it. Tesla are one of the safest cars on the road therefore insurance premiums are less than traditional cars. That is my understanding

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview