News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD strikes back: Ryzen 9 7945HX beats Intel Core i9-13980HX despite much lower power consumption

Started by Redaktion, March 01, 2023, 15:36:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD's Zen 4 CPUs for laptops have finally arrived and the new Ryzen 9 7945HX shows an impressive multi-core performance in our initial benchmarks. Intel's Raptor lake Core i9-13980HX is beaten, even though AMD's new CPU consumes significantly less power.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-strikes-back-Ryzen-9-7945HX-beats-Intel-Core-i9-13980HX-despite-much-lower-power-consumption.698349.0.html

Rib

Since when does a CPU drawing over 120 watts is considered a "mobile processor"? Not while ago that was desktop enthusiast class... I'm wondering where this power inflation will lead us.

Anonymousgg

Quote from: Rib on March 01, 2023, 16:13:06Since when does a CPU drawing over 120 watts is considered a "mobile processor"? Not while ago that was desktop enthusiast class... I'm wondering where this power inflation will lead us.

Blame Intel. Intel put desktop CPUs into laptops, starting with the "Alder Lake-HX" i9-12900HX and i9-12950HX.

AMD has simply taken the same concept and made it better.

Techdream

Quote from: Rib on March 01, 2023, 16:13:06Since when does a CPU drawing over 120 watts is considered a "mobile processor"? Not while ago that was desktop enthusiast class... I'm wondering where this power inflation will lead us.

It's not TDP number, it is max power usage measured when cpu was fully loaded.

sauce

Quote from: Techdream on March 01, 2023, 18:47:54

It's not TDP number, it is max power usage measured when cpu was fully loaded.

Well, yeah, and that's basically desktop wattage from just a few years ago. Battery life would be abysmal for these processors when doing any real workloads. Not really my definition of "laptop," more like "mobile desktop."

Mr Majestyk

Have you heard of a power point. These are mostly for mobile workstation users, that would normally plug their laptop in, but can have a very powerful laptop on the go. Also Intel's max power limit on thjs HX is 157W vs AMD's 120W. You could run this in the 35-75W range and it would beast Intel HX by an even larger margin and get decent battery life.

S.Yu

Quotebut we also have to wait and see if there will be a sufficient number of laptop models with the new CPUs
Yes...very intriguing but the question is whether the Team Red reaches the right products...Zephyrus Duo is a good place to start but this model is generally severely overpriced for people who don't really need that second screen but want the specs anyway, and there's no guarantee the specs in this model will be seen in other premium Asus...

ArsLoginName

Andreas,

Great that you tested everything at lower power levels. But can you go a little lower to 35 W and compare the Dragon Range 7945HX to the Macbook Pro 16 M2 which scores 14787 according to your testing? A 16 core Ryzen on 5nm should beat the 12 core M2 on the same node. But by how much? Lower TDP estimates were with 12 core 7900X on reddit (dragon_range_may_be_more_powerful_than_apple_m1)

Andreas Osthoff

The information with 35W will be published in the Apple M2 Pro/Max analysis, which will be published tomorrow. But yes, the 7945HX is a bit more efficient at 35W compared to M2 Pro

Ayoh

I Hope this will not be based on cinebench analysis as that is not well optimised for ARM processors and favours x86. Geekbench or SPEC are more suitable. Any efficiency conclusions for an ARM chip drawn from cinebench test are not really valid

Quote from: Andreas Osthoff on March 02, 2023, 23:23:53The information with 35W will be published in the Apple M2 Pro/Max analysis, which will be published tomorrow. But yes, the 7945HX is a bit more efficient at 35W compared to M2 Pro

Bruce

Quote from: Ayoh on March 02, 2023, 23:58:50I Hope this will not be based on cinebench analysis as that is not well optimised for ARM processors and favours x86. Geekbench or SPEC are more suitable. Any efficiency conclusions for an ARM chip drawn from cinebench test are not really valid

Quote from: Andreas Osthoff on March 02, 2023, 23:23:53The information with 35W will be published in the Apple M2 Pro/Max analysis, which will be published tomorrow. But yes, the 7945HX is a bit more efficient at 35W compared to M2 Pro

Cope. R23 is perfectly fine for comparisons. On the contrary, Geekbench is silly for anything other than smartphone benchmarking. Very lightly threaded and bursty tests make no sense for processors like M2 Pro and 7945HX, as they are often used for heavily threaded workloads that run for long periods.

Written by a ChatGPT Bot.

Quote from: Anonymousgg on March 01, 2023, 17:58:05

Blame Intel. Intel put desktop CPUs into laptops, starting with the "Alder Lake-HX" i9-12900HX and i9-12950HX.

AMD has simply taken the same concept and made it better.

I'd say more just blame x86 in general. Intel kind of became irrelevant years ago after Zen 2, so they shouldn't even be compared to or benchmarked against for efficiency.

Even though progress has been made with x86, the 10 hour battery life we are getting in todays devices were in arm devices 10 years ago. And it's still not enough. Even the most TDP limited throttled mobile x86 cpu still produces more heat and takes more power than the worst arm cpu on a samsung node.

It's no secret that when Apple switched to arm M1 SoC's there was a massive leap in efficiency and they were already considered industry leading in terms of battery life / heat / noise levels in laptops.

We should really just switch to arm for gaming already, I don't know why it hasn't been done. Games are already optimized for the switch so should be too difficult to port. Would help for the sustainability of the planet in general, using less energy and having to use fans less would reduce overall failures in general.

FARHAN

70-80W should be the maximum upper limit for laptop cpus, wattage. cant call any thing laptop if that pull over 100w.
If amd can deliver same performance then it should be appreciated in laptop stand point.
for me 45watt is an 8 core 14nmn chips wattage, 35w should be for 8 core 4nm chips and 70w is for 16 cores.

informatic

The bet for the future is AMD with AMD ZEN 4 Phoenix = DDR5 + RDNA 3 + PCI 4.0 + USB 4.0 + HDMI 2.1 + Artificial intelligence with XDNA architecture developed by Xilinx and make the most of ChatGPT, Games and everything related to artificial intelligence, also AMD processors are 4nm vs Intel 10nm
AMD Phoenix CPUs will surpass the Apple M2 in performance and efficiency thanks to the artificial intelligence that incorporates the new AMD ZEN 4 Phoenix and that is what the portable public expects. ZEN 4 Phoenix if you want to know more simply write in your search engine AMD ZEN 4 Phoenix

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview