News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Nvidia's TDP values for the RTX 4050, 4060 and 4070 Laptop do not matter for gaming

Started by Redaktion, March 01, 2023, 10:39:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Nvidia's new mainstream laptop GPUs convinced with improved efficiency and performance during our review, but we also noticed that the TDP values of the new laptop GPUs do not really matter above 100 Watts, since even the RTX 4070 Laptop only consumes ~100W during gaming.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-s-TDP-values-for-the-RTX-4050-4060-and-4070-Laptop-do-not-matter-for-gaming.698161.0.html

More please.

Would like to see how the RTX 4060/4080/4090 scales with TDP as well. Or could you only do it with the RTX 4050/4070 because they were tested in similar laptops with same cpu?

Tolga

By looking at the gap between 4080 and 4070, and then this article. I started to think if Nvidia put a cap 4070 and below on purpose.

jblaze53

The 4050, 4060 and 4070 seem to be voltage limited and so are unable to boost beyond a certain frequency, leading to the low tgp

S.Yu

Quote from: Tolga on March 01, 2023, 13:58:46By looking at the gap between 4080 and 4070, and then this article. I started to think if Nvidia put a cap 4070 and below on purpose.
That would be the immediate reaction, but I can't help but think an artificial cap meant to differentiate could've been done more subtly, like a rigged driver that results in inefficiencies. The (real) 4080 and 4070ti are also two different chips, so naturally the wider design should be faster at the same TGP, as 140W is halfway up the efficiency curve...or was it actually slower than expected at this TGP? Then in that case it still shouldn't prevent more models from offering the (real) 4080, because instead of boosting the assumed-to-be-inefficient chip further up the curve, the other chips are limited to lower down the curve, which means there aren't additional cooling requirements for the (real) 4080 compared to the 4070ti.
This also doesn't explain the same 4070ti being faster in, for example the Blade 16 compared to the Lenovo...whatever it was, as neither should be cooling-limited at 100W.

Xender hacks

Win a jackpot electric Honda
Came across a site that won me an electric Honda,well won't be using it so I don't know how much I could sell

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview