News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lousy RTX 4080 sales allegedly prompting Nvidia to constrict RTX 4090 stock to push people towards the US$1,200 offering

Started by Redaktion, February 20, 2023, 09:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Adding to his previous leaks about the sales of the RTX 40 GPUs, Tom from Moore's Law Is Dead now claims that the RTX 4090 boards may become harder to come by as Nvidia is reportedly constricting the supply of the cards in response to poor RTX 4080 sales.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lousy-RTX-4080-sales-allegedly-prompting-Nvidia-to-constrict-RTX-4090-stock-to-push-people-towards-the-US-1-200-offering.696049.0.html

RobertJasiek

LOL @ Nvidia. People do not burn money at 4080 but choose other options.

- One might buy 4080 if it drops to its appropriate price €950.
- If 4080 remains overpriced, one considers 4090, 4070TI or waiting for the next generations.
- If 4090 is unavailable or priced above MSRPs, one considers 4070TI. If also this is priced above MSRPs or perceived as overpriced, one waits for a later available and not overpriced generation.

Zarathustra

Maybe the sales wouldn't be so lousy if the price wasn't so high. At that price point you might as well get the big daddy the 4090.

NikoB

Hyperinflation launched through the fault of Western countries leads to higher prices, especially in high-tech, where the chains of labor division and the most advanced products are the most complex and where there is the least competition for the same reason.

Therefore, this is not a problem of producers - it is a problem of consumers. You will not go anywhere and will pay. Who wants to have advanced gadgets. If you don't pay, prices will initially rise even more due to falling demand, and then bankruptcy if the beneficiaries of the high-tech company consider that the profit does not pay for the costs and does not reflect their interests in the final profit, i.e. The industry will simply collapse. Or it will not go bankrupt, but simply a leader will be replaced who will be able to reduce costs. For example, at the cost of a drop in the quality of a product and progress in it. And the world will fall into the dark ages.

The reduction of the middle class during a recession (or its deliberate destruction, for the sake of easier control of the crowd by powerful kleptocrats) leads to the fact that the high-tech industry suffers.

Namely, the destruction of the middle class in the West is now taking irreversible forms for the sake of the survival of kleptocratic, parasitic circles. I mean useful, progressive, really hardworking and creative part of the "middle class". These are obviously not speculators and the trading class, but scientists, mathematicians (there are very few of them!), engineers, software developers, teaching staff, and highly qualified technical personnel. There are fewer and fewer of them (and the required return from them in terms of short-term productivity is increasing, despite the fact that they receive pennies compared to morons football players, hockey players and other basketball players who do not carry anything to the progress of civilization, but only parasitize on the base passions of the stupid majority population), but it is they who are the key driver of this civilization, everything else is just ensuring the success of this layer, otherwise civilization will fall into a dead end. And the way out of the impasse, if this layer does not find a solution, is always to reduce the excess population. If it does not work out in a civilized way, then by barbaric methods (as always).

Just now, the Chinese Academy of Sciences made the whole educated world laugh by saying that they lack human capital (and of course money for basic research - but this is a common cry) I quote their statement to the press, the key phrase:
"We should encourage those scientists who pursue the goals of original development and refuse from the primitive and monotonous following of other people's ideas."

And their call directly contradicts the totalitarian thinking and the way of thinking that is formed from the nursery in the Chinese, Russians, etc. same countries. And already decent time in the West, including in the USA.

So the price of NVidia video cards is the tip of the iceberg of those tectonic faults and problems that have been going on around the world for decades in the modern history of mankind.

RobertJasiek

Inflation: The US inflation of 15% during Ampere is the excuse, while the Taiwanese inflation (TSMC site) has been much lower. What may matter more is the increase of TSMC wafer prices, which explains ca. €60 - 70 but definitely not the up to more than doubled Nvidia graphics cards prices, especially when taking into account Nvidia's cheating with card naming in wrong tiers.

Macroeconomic context: ok.

Number of paid mathematicians: ~100,000 world-wide.

Geeks On Hugs

NVIDIA are such assholes. Stop trying to strong arm the market and instead sell people products they want at fair prices.

The 4080 (which really should be more of a 4070 TI) would sell fine if it wasn't egregiously overpriced.

Stop being scummy NVIDIA. You have wrecked your reputation.

James Midgley

They want a strong arm people into buying the 4080 I'll just settle for the AMD offer that's cheaper and better.

Noddy

People need to wake up and stop buying extremely overpriced products. The only reason for these prices is exactly the amount of people buying gpus at whatever cost. Honestly at this moment the only gpus worth buying are some of AMDs last gen gpus just because they had a huge price cut.

NikoB

Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 20, 2023, 14:38:56Number of paid mathematicians: ~100,000 world-wide.
Fewer than 4,000 mathematicians are officially employed by U.S. institutions and firms, according to BLS data for 2020.

The cards will be sold at a price that suits manufacturers. If they can cut the price, they will. If they can't, they won't cut it. Do you see a reduction in MSRP price? Me not. It is ahead of the "official" inflation in the US and Taiwan, but you and I know that the official inflation needs to be multiplied by 2 times ...

Secondly, as I wrote many times, high-tech reacts most strongly to the destruction of complex chains of the global division of labor. Therefore, it is meaningless to compare processes and "official" inflation. Everything is much worse there.

The US and Western countries deliberately dispersed inflation in order to burn the already unsustainable debts in its fire in 10-20 years. This is their goal. Everything else is a cover for this goal.

The task of ordinary inhabitants is to keep up with the nominal prices of their incomes, while maintaining their usual purchasing power.

A recession always clears the labor market from parasites workers in companies. Only the most valuable personnel remain. It is they who retain old purchasing power. Everyone else loses it. But their fault.

Quote from: Geeks On Hugs on February 20, 2023, 17:23:41sell people products they want at fair prices.
A "fair" price is a price that suits both the buyer and the seller. This is a mutual deal.

Quote from: James Midgley on February 20, 2023, 19:25:32just settle for the AMD offer that's cheaper and better.
AMD does not do charity work. Which they officially recently confirmed in January 2023, stating at the management level that they do not specifically increase the supply of fresh series of processors that the market needs in order to keep high prices for both them and the previous series, which are sold with difficulty. Nothing personal, it's business...

As usual, everything will be available only to those who are a valuable worker and their purchasing power remains unchanged, adjusted for real, and not "official" inflation.

Jeremy

As a buyer, I just won't game anymore. I would rather buy some Aluminum Racing heads for my 79 Mustang rather than pay the ridiculously inflated prices of GPUs. They'll just start losing consumers. We were sitting pretty during Trump Administration. GPUs were finally cheaper things were prospering. Now we have a Tyrannical Government with a Treasonous Geriatric Commander & Chief hell-bent on destroying America from within. A real WEF puppet that is bought and paid for. 

Technocrafts

Hmmm, let's see. Instead of adjusting the price of a product where it should be, the green giant would rather kill the goose that lays the golden egg??? Wow! For one, those who own a higher end of the 30 series already, any decent AIB flavor of an RTX 3090, or 3080 ti (Asus RTX 3080 ti ROG Strix LC in my case), any brand of RTX 4080 offers little to no upgrade in a practical sense, other than fancy benchmark posts for bragging rights. I tried three of them, after a friend infected me with un upgrade rash, and I couldn't resist. I was a happy camper running Flight Sim 2020 wit a HP Reverb G2 with great results, powered by the RTX 3080 ti mentioned above. The RTX 4080 was said to be 35-40% faster than the flagship Ampere based predecessor, so I was itching to try one, to see if the claim holds true. The last of the three 4080s I tried, was the fastest one on the market, and the most expensive. The Asus RTX 4080 ROG Stix OC, is actually $50 below the price of the cheapest available RTX-4090 based big brother! So, how did the 4080 ROG Stix stood up to my 3080 ti ROG Stix LC? The benchmark results were astonishing across the board, I was melted. That is, until I fired up the sim, and took a VR flight over Paris, with slightly higher settings that the 3080 ti was running at. Disappointment is an understatement!!! I spent several days trying various settings, but nothing helped the second best Ada to put it over the top! At best, there were some flights that showed a meager 4-5% improvement, the rest were all the same what my older hardware produced. I ended up returning the 4080, and was lucky enough to find a Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC to exchange it for. Now, that's un UPGRADE! Solid 35% increase in performance, even at the most demanding flights! So, if Nvidia believes restricting the supply of these monsters will force anyone to buy their 4080 at the price what should be of a 4080 ti, they very much mistaking! The 4080 is the 3080 of the 40 series, nothing more! Increase the memory bandwidth from the measly 256 bits, enable another SM and for that kind of money, increase the 16GB of RAM to 20GB! Then you can charge the price of an RTX 4080 ti, when you offer one! The RTX 4090 based cards at the current price are very enticing, but if their price spike due to supply constrain, than simply just not worth upgrading from the 30 series! And the vast majority of the consumers won't take that to the bank!

Jimmy

The video card people want, the 4090FE, hasn't been available for a couple months now. People who want a 4090 aren't going to settle for a $1200 overpriced alternative.

NikoB

Along with the reduction of the middle class in the West and the overall reduction of the "golden billion" on the planet, the number of buyers of top-end cards and other high-end gadgets will gradually decrease, prices will rise. Then there will be a collapse in the industry without sufficient competition and fundamental backlogs in technical processes. It is physically impossible to increase consumption further. Without a multiple increase in speed at the same TDP, no one will take new series.

Now in all product groups calculated on these layers there are sales failures. They will expand further and prices will rise. Because it is so designed to burn the debts of Western countries to their creditors, by depreciating debts in their currencies.

You need to come to terms with these global processes. And think not about price increases, which corporations will still index to the level of inflation and costs that they deem necessary, but about the fact that your income does not keep up with inflation and the devaluation of the purchasing power of key currencies in the world.

In order to simply remain in place now in the new world, according to your usual purchasing power, high inflation, you have to "run" hard, strain yourself. To become richer in terms of purchasing power, you need to "run" 2 times faster than the rest of the ordinary inhabitants ...

Pointless

More garbage clickbait articles, courtesy of "leaks" from Moore's Law is Dead. This site is about to enter by newsfeed's blacklist.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview