News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple MacBook Pro 16 2023 Review - M2 Max challenges GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

Started by Redaktion, February 14, 2023, 20:02:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The new MacBook Pro 16 2023 with the M2 Max is Apple's most powerful mobile device. Both the CPU and the GPU performance have been increased and even the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti can be challenged in some tests.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-16-2023-Review-M2-Max-challenges-GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti.694175.0.html

NikoB

The memory subsystem was not checked again.

Where are the promised 512 bits of memory bus controller and 400GByte/s?

LL

I see when convenient the comparison with Windows laptops is done, when is not ie: Blender GPU test for example it is hidden. The title is misleading.

wutwutwutwut

Battery life looks pretty stellar but that display is garbage for gaming and with Raptor Lake + Nvidia 4000 series GPUs out, M2 doesn't stand a chance in real world performance. Better luck next year Fruit logo lol.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: wutwutwutwut on February 15, 2023, 04:08:57that display is garbage for gaming

The reaction time implies 12Hz. This is even extremely unsuitable for video watching or editing, something that Macs are advertised for.

h4

Under light load (WiFi v1.3) it has twice the battery life of Intel, but under heavy load ("Load" condition) it has half the battery life of Intel. This is interesting, although there is the question of what they are doing under "Load" conditions.

In my case, I often put a relatively heavy load on my PC when I am out and about, and as a result, the I feel that Macbook Pro does not have such a long battery life compared to Windows machine with 12th gen.

RobertJasiek

Light load Intel has WiFi battery durations up to 15:47, AMD up to 16:48 so both in the league of MBP 16 M1 Pro. Stop spreading the myth that Apple would have twice the duration! This only applies if you compare MBP to bad Windows notebooks.

LeshaKimberely

km

RobertJasiek
Light load x86 might be comparable, sure.
But the thing is that under load MBP runs for 8-9 hours without throttling the CPU where Intel and AMD would throttle like mad or will cut the battery life by 50%.

You are missing the point here. It's not about Apple vs Intel or AMD, it's about ARM vs x86 architecture.
You don't see x86 cpus in phones (also mobile device) for a reason.

Chris Jones

h4

Quote from: km on February 15, 2023, 14:51:14RobertJasiek
Light load x86 might be comparable, sure.
But the thing is that under load MBP runs for 8-9 hours without throttling the CPU where Intel and AMD would throttle like mad or will cut the battery life by 50%.

You are missing the point here. It's not about Apple vs Intel or AMD, it's about ARM vs x86 architecture.
You don't see x86 cpus in phones (also mobile device) for a reason.

I do not believe it is a difference between x86 and ARM for the following reasons

- The Surface Pro X was slower than the Intel CPU and had a similar battery life (about 6 hours) even when using only ARM native apps, under MS Office-like load.

- In Chromebooks, x86 has gained significant market share despite it's proximity to Android and affinity for ARM. intel had publicly stated that Jasper lake would be "the last Atom-only CPU", but due to its popularity in Chromebooks, ADL-N was newly designed. It was first tested by Google and is believed to be at Google's request.

- According to the "Intel Alder Lake-U Review" on this site, the MT power efficiency of the Ryzen 7840U is expected to be comparable to that of the M2; limiting the 13900K or 7950X to 60W will give power efficiency close to that of the M1 Ultra.

From these, the following can be deduced.

- The advantage of M1 is mostly attributed to the advantage of N5. If Comet lake had been manufactured on N5, the M1 would have been less impressive and the SQ1/2 would have been garbage.

-The second advantage of M1 is due to its high IPC and low clock orientation: while Intel and AMD raise it to 5 GHz in ST operation, M1 keeps it at 3 GHz, making it more power efficient. x86 also lowers it to 3 GHz or lower in MT operation, then the efficiency of M1 and x86 become to be similar. Especially in high load, the M2 Max Macbook Pro lasts only 1 hour, whereas the ADL-H+GeForce combination lasts 2 hours.

In addition, the following is expected.

- Theoretical values ��show that if ADL-P is kept the same design and the same clock, the power consumption will be reduced by 40% just by manufacturing with Intel4 and by 65% with Intel 20A. Consequently, it is more efficient than M2.

- Both Intel and AMD are oriented toward high IPC and low clock designs.

Perhaps, but I expect the 2024 holiday season to be a showdown between M3 and Arrow/Lunar, with Intel winning in both power efficiency and absolute performance.

kek

I always love how they post a misleading title of "challenging" and then you read the price of 5000 euros 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The moment Apple pulls the plug on Rosetta, that's when they will isolate themselves like the PowerPC days....

Orion

Apple has removed the capability from their laptops to run any operating system other than mac OS.

In essence they removed the right of the owner to use HIS device the way he finds best. You buy a mac but Apple decides how you can use it. Can someone sue them please!

The only compelling reason for me to buy a mac in the past was to combine the high quality hardware with my need to run Linux and open source compilers/software.

Not any more... Hard pass

JZ999

All MacBook rating from 91~94%.
All Windows laptops rating less than 91%.
Really interesting. You should have changed your website name to MacbookCHECK.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview