News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Long Tesla Supercharger lines after Arctic blast range drop spell the need for V3 stalls and a queue system

Started by Redaktion, February 05, 2023, 14:07:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The big Supercharger queues formed by owners who found their Teslas' range drop by up to 40% in the cold snap raise a call for a dedicated Supercharger queue system. Tesla makes some of the most energy-efficient electric cars in terms of cold weather battery consumption increase, yet little could prepare owners for the Arctic blast temperature and consequential range drops that formed in the last few days.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Long-Tesla-Supercharger-lines-after-Arctic-blast-range-drop-spell-the-need-for-V3-stalls-and-a-queue-system.690461.0.html

kek

Until someone dies frozen inside a Tesla, maybe then some people might see what an incovenience EV are.

Mind you, EV work when they dont involve a battery, as seen on electrical trains.

But battery implementation is terrible. Too hot or too cold becomes an issue.

Racinjason88

Nobody is dieing from the inconvenience of waiting to charge their EVs. Most EV owners charge at home. ICE struggle in this extreme cold as well. But I will agree, as an EV owner in the states and occasionally get hit with range reduction from the cold weather, EV battery tech is not ready yet for countries like Canada and their winters. Once solid state batteries arrive in next few years these issues will be much less of a problem.

MJ

Quote from: Racinjason88 on February 06, 2023, 13:43:27Nobody is dieing from the inconvenience of waiting to charge their EVs. Most EV owners charge at home. ICE struggle in this extreme cold as well. But I will agree, as an EV owner in the states and occasionally get hit with range reduction from the cold weather, EV battery tech is not ready yet for countries like Canada and their winters. Once solid state batteries arrive in next few years these issues will be much less of a problem.

What do you mean ICE struggle in cold too? I stop at a gas station for 5 minutes, fill up and I'm gone.

PhevHevMevMhevBev

Quote from: Racinjason88 on February 06, 2023, 13:43:27Most EV owners charge at home. ICE struggle in this extreme cold as well.

Making wrong claims to prove EVs are better than car with ICE(including PHEV, HEV and MEV) is always irritating to see. Cars with ICE consume about 10% more in the first 5-10 minutes from cold start. By then the engine is warm enough to also heat  the inside of the car. And when needed, to fuel the car takes max 5 minutes. I like EVs but just don't like when people can't be objective when arguing or trying to prove a point.

JS

Meh. Bunch of stubborn old men here.  Gas cars won't start all the time in the bitter cold, and starting a cold car does damage to the engine that adds up over time.  EVs are indeed more reliable in subzero temperatures, they always start, and if you know what to expect the range loss is easily anticipated and managed.

Oh, and I'm glad you can fill up in 10 minutes.  Sounds frustrating to have to stop all the time to fill up.  I haven't been to a gas station or a charger in over a month despite commuting 30 minutes each way daily.

Take your "I know best though I've never owned an EV" armchair knowledge somewhere it's appreciated, like a flip-phones-only club.  Yes, I remember when people like you over-my-dead-bodied smartphones until you bought one and liked it.

Martin Winlow

Seriously!  What on Earth are all these people doing that they even *think* about going for a long drive in such extreme weather?

Martin Winlow

And to qualify my comment (before some halfwit replies in a very silly way), apparently 20 people a week die in cars in Canada due to the cold and I betting they are *all* ICEVs.

Martin Winlow

I would also be interested to learn what proportion of range loss was down to the drivers of there EVs whacking their cabin heater up to max and being completely unaware of the fact that because they are no longer driving an ICEV and thus throwing away fully 75% of their fuel due to the hopeless inefficiency of the internal combustion engine, that using cabin heat actually *costs them money* by using energy from their battery pack.  They are probably all dressed in T-shirts and shorts - which might, of course, explain why so many motorists die of cold when their ICEV conks out in the middle of nowhere in -40 weather!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview