News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Preliminary Ryzen 9 7940HS performance figure fails to impress as AMD's flagship "Phoenix" APU trails behind Core i9-12900H

Started by Redaktion, February 03, 2023, 18:49:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Ryzen 9 7940HS is AMD's next-generation Phoenix-HS APU featuring the company's latest Zen 4 CPU cores and an RDNA 3 iGPU in the form of a Radeon 780M. Rumors had it that the Radeon 780M would be slightly faster, if not equal, than the Radeon 680M. The latest performance showcase from Bilibili makes the Radeon 780M appear measurably ahead of its predecessor.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Preliminary-Ryzen-9-7940HS-performance-figure-fails-to-impress-as-AMD-s-flagship-Phoenix-APU-trails-behind-Core-i9-12900H.690087.0.html

NikoB

Quote from: abhi on February 04, 2023, 10:17:1112900H is a 20core chip vs 7940HS which is a 16core chip.
7940HS is 8 core SoC with 16 threads. Only 8 full cores, no e-cores.
12900H is 6 full cores and 8 e-cores SoC with total is 20 threads.

And where is the result of i9 when running on battery with 25-35W? Everything is bad...

Who prevents to put 65W on 7940 and wipe Intel's nose?

Moreover, Intel does not support 256GB of memory, but the 7940 does. The i9 (including the Raptor) doesn't have built-in TB4 ports, the 7940 does 2 ports with direct connection to cores.

I'm sure the 7940 laptop, as before with Zen3+, will be much quieter and more battery-powered than Raptor Lake laptops.

Sinocelt

So, if I read this properly, the 7040HS is less power-efficient than the old 12900H? And so a lot less than the M1?

RobertJasiek

Quote from: NikoB on February 04, 2023, 11:22:07I'm sure the 7940 laptop, as before with Zen3+, will be much quieter and more battery-powered than Raptor Lake laptops.

7940HS uses 54W TDP. How can this be much quieter and enable much longer battery durations?

NikoB

I don't believe in these tests that a "4nm" TSMC chip can lose to 10nm+++++ Alder Lake, it's a priori impossible, unless AMD drastically worsened the IPC in the new series. But then it business is bad...

The Zen3+ has clearly proven that it outperforms Alder Lake when running on battery, both in terms of battery life and processor speed, and when running from outlet, it is much quieter in medium load (and this is the main thing), albeit weaker 1.5 times with the same peak TDP.

Dudexx

Have you even looked at the link you posted for 12900h 3DMark Time Spy CPU benchmarks??

None of the laptops has a boost below 91W (the Schenker pl1 =pl2 is incorrect) .

Orion

This article compares apples with bananas and concludes that the bananas win because they are more yellow!

HS series is made to run on a medium power envelope (35watt) and should be compared with the Intel P series!

You can put 150watt if you can on the HS and it will never catch up with Intel H.

Intel H and HK series should be compared with AMD HX series which both have more cores on a higher power envelope!

Either the author is clueless or on a blue payroll.

Coldby

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview