News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Slowing RTX 4090 sales and smash hit RX 7900 XTX could cause Nvidia some concern as report claims last-gen GPUs dominate sales

Started by Redaktion, January 31, 2023, 12:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Serial hardware leaker Tom of Moore's Law is Dead (MLID) has published a video claiming that although the RTX 4090 continues to sell well, the sales are losing momentum. The leaker also alleges that the RX 7900 XTX cards are moving quickly. However, the real MVPs are last-gen RTX 30 and RX 6000 boards which are priced equal to or less than MSRP.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Slowing-RTX-4090-sales-and-smash-hit-RX-7900-XTX-could-cause-Nvidia-some-concern-as-report-claims-last-gen-GPUs-dominate-sales.688200.0.html

RobertJasiek

"last-gen boards with discounted or MSRP rates"

Except that, in Germany, most cards by far have not reached their initial MSRPs yet. Discounts below MSRPs for them are unheard of.

Jimmy

Show me where to buy a 4090 FE at MSRP. I don't think they've even been on sale since 2022 sometime.

Dale

Honestly this is a ridiculous statement. Go buy a 4090 right now. Try, go ahead, I'll wait.. Oh, you're back, couldn't find one? Because they are ALL SOLD OUT. Slowing down? Lol. Is that why I've been trying for months to get one but can't?

Pointless

Moore's Law is Dead is a well known AMD shill who makes up stories/rumors to get clicks. Every one of his videos has a pro-AMD spin to it, and more than half of his content is made up. Thus any rumor he puts out is entirely worthless at face value, since even in the rare scenario that there's some truth in his claims, the commentary around it will be completely biased in favor of AMD.

I'm curious what the SEC would find if they checked his trading activity and video post times.

Ameubius

Just checked, and there's at least 10 different models of the rtx 4090 available through norwegian retailers. Only the most expensive (Strix) was currently sold out. This has been the picture for a while now...

The lowest price (Gainward GS Phantom) was 22300 norwegian kroner (incl 25% VAT), which translates to around 1800$ ex VAT. Traditionally the MSRP gets a 10-15% mark up her i Norway, so this is basically equal to what we would call MSRP over here I guess...

Andy

S.Yu

Quote from: RobertJasiek on January 31, 2023, 14:17:36"last-gen boards with discounted or MSRP rates"

Except that, in Germany, most cards by far have not reached their initial MSRPs yet. Discounts below MSRPs for them are unheard of.
I'm shocked to hear that. Nobody deserves to be in a market like that. It's intensely skewed either because of residual effects of the crypto fever or something else I'm not aware of.

RobertJasiek

It is the maintained greed of especially Nvidia and the retailers, presumably also the distributors but currently also the OEMs only for specific, usually the OC and exaggerated design, models.

Samantha Smith

Quote from: Dale on February 01, 2023, 06:27:49Honestly this is a ridiculous statement. Go buy a 4090 right now. Try, go ahead, I'll wait.. Oh, you're back, couldn't find one? Because they are ALL SOLD OUT. Slowing down? Lol. Is that why I've been trying for months to get one but can't?
Plenty of 4090's available now where I live (I counted 10 brands), when zero were available just a few weeks ago. For 7900xtx, only XFX version is available.
Lots of 4080's and 4070's available too. What color do you want?

In South Africa, the exchange has the ZAR/$ pegged at 18, but with exchange rate/transport/duties and VAT, our real $ conversion is 23. So anything we have here can be divided by 23 to get back to the actual $ price.
For us, 4090's sell below MSRP, 4080 sells below MSRP and costs THE SAME as an Rx 7900xtx, whilst the 4070 is almost at MSRP.

Guess that kinda confirms what Moore's Law is Dead has been saying, at least in South Africa anyway.

S.Yu

Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 01, 2023, 15:28:58It is the maintained greed of especially Nvidia and the retailers, presumably also the distributors but currently also the OEMs only for specific, usually the OC and exaggerated design, models.
Has to be the retailers, I don't think Nvidia itself has hold over stock like that. Major retailers would have to form a trust and limit stocks together, sounds like overregulation because in a more liberal market smaller players would seek to undercut them. Something's given the corporations too much power over the distribution channels, resulting in skewed prices. From what are author says here, you should seek to import from a place like South Africa.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: S.Yu on February 03, 2023, 16:34:56Something's given the corporations too much power over the distribution channels,

OEMs also ought to sell directly to retailers to skip additional manipulations by distributors, and directly to endconsumers from shops in the target countries to skip additional manipulations by distributors and retailers. A few OEMs do, but they tend to act as their own scalpers (selling to endconsumers far above MSRPs of the models), such as Asus in Germany.

systemBuilder22

In Silicon Valley, our main computer store now is central computer with 5 locations.  At Central Computer the 4080's have been sitting on the shelves since November - no shortages.  The 4090s have been harder to find.  There had been Zero AMD 7900's until recently - not even XT models! 

Recently I got my first stock alerts for 7900 xtx models starting at $150 over retail.  The new AMD cards put a noose around the 4080 with prices of $900 and $1000.  Despite what NVidiabigots will tell you, if you want a card that was exactly as fast as the 4080 performance it would cost $950.  So the discount against the 4080 is compelling!

Also, ever since Raj Koduri left AMD in 2018 and moved his "bad driver support, incorporated" brand management to Intel, AMD cards have been a lot easier to use!

S.Yu

Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 03, 2023, 17:50:15
Quote from: S.Yu on February 03, 2023, 16:34:56Something's given the corporations too much power over the distribution channels,

OEMs also ought to sell directly to retailers to skip additional manipulations by distributors, and directly to endconsumers from shops in the target countries to skip additional manipulations by distributors and retailers. A few OEMs do, but they tend to act as their own scalpers (selling to endconsumers far above MSRPs of the models), such as Asus in Germany.
That last trick can only work if all their other distribution channels fall in line...or unless their volume has fallen enough that they can afford to sell solely through their own site. Either case buying grey imported is the way to go, buy from whereever they don't have power.

RobertJasiek

Asus has been doing it for 2.5 years now by also selling via Ebay, Amazon or their own site and could do so because the German Ampere prices of most cards have never fallen below 110% initial MSRP. Germany has very strong laws for customer protection, therefore grey imports are a great loss of customer rights and involve big postage, some tariffs and other trouble.

I have bought lots of music CDs from all over the world to minimise prices because there the risk is minimal. Buying expensive electronics, however, is a completely different animal.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview