News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Nvidia GeForce MX series is struggling against the AMD Radeon 680M

Started by Redaktion, January 24, 2023, 02:43:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With a TGP range as low as 35 W, the mobile GeForce RTX 4050 may effectively kill the aging mobile GeForce MX series for good. There's very little reason to prefer a discrete GeForce MX when an integrated AMD solution can offer faster performance in a smaller and more efficient package.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Nvidia-GeForce-MX-series-is-struggling-against-the-AMD-Radeon-680M.684159.0.html

Highpriceever

First, you should compare to mx570

Second,
It costs is too high, (In my country, in which the costs of elctronics are high-even sky breaking) when I looked for AMD Radeon 680M bearing CPU,
The laptop cost start from 2,000$ usd for models with only 8gb of ram and without OS, and one with 16gb as well as windows 11 cost starting from 2750$ usd

A laptop with 16gb as well as windows with MX GPU (450 and up) can be found starting 1750$ (usd)

Anonymousgg

IIRC laptops with RTX 4050 are going to start at $1000 (in the United States, not whatever horrible country the other guy lives in). So if Nvidia abandons the MX series, they are effectively pulling out of the "low end", unless they continue to make previous-gen laptop GPUs on older nodes for a lower price.

Quote from: Highpriceever on January 24, 2023, 03:16:42First, you should compare to mx570

Radeon 780M is coming soon. Should counter most of the gain MX570 brings and still leave Nvidia's MX around the performance of the best APU.

But yeah if AMD's best APUs are more expensive and in shorter supply than MX-equipped laptops, that's a problem. At least they are producing another round of 680M APUs, under the 7035 series branding.

996forever

Quote from: Anonymousgg on January 24, 2023, 03:52:54IIRC laptops with RTX 4050 are going to start at $1000 (in the United States, not whatever horrible country the other guy lives in). So if Nvidia abandons the MX series, they are effectively pulling out of the "low end", unless they continue to make previous-gen laptop GPUs on older nodes for a lower price.

Quote from: Highpriceever on January 24, 2023, 03:16:42First, you should compare to mx570

Radeon 780M is coming soon. Should counter most of the gain MX570 brings and still leave Nvidia's MX around the performance of the best APU.

But yeah if AMD's best APUs are more expensive and in shorter supply than MX-equipped laptops, that's a problem. At least they are producing another round of 680M APUs, under the 7035 series branding.

Amd's latest apus can strike a Neptune landing and still be utterly worthless until they increase the number of laptops using them but no dGPU by tenfold and the supply of them by 20-fold.

Ngreedia

Well Nvidia actually got only little to worry about because it's hard to find 680M powered laptops and if I find some at all they're horribly priced. I can find RTX 3060 equipped laptops with last gen CPUs or MX550 + current gen CPU for less money than even the cheapest Ryzen 6000 laptops without dGPU.
I don't think it's the competition that's killing the MX series but rather Nvidia wanting to sell higher priced products. MX series and RTX xx50 class share the same GPU dies so why sell it for cheap MX price when you can sell for higher RTX prices ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eugene Swanson

Ben Flanagan

Quite tragic that 50 series now positioned to eat this segment, only because NVIDIA decides to confuse customer with different TGP. MX lines was always the go to for a GPU that performs higher than iGPU, yet doesn't eat too much power. Still enough to fire up work-related apps that needs GPU acceleration to at least view the file on the go (not necessarily to render). Before MX, these class always been a 40 series or lower and an MX name appears on Maxwell (GT 940MX). The boundaries was clear up to Pascal (MX150 vs GTX 1050) until they decided to introduce Max-Q BS.

heffeque

Anonymousgg

Quote from: heffeque on January 24, 2023, 18:03:26Personally... can't wait for 780M on a NUC-like HTPC.

You'll have to wait... forever.

You can get Beelink with 680M now for about $600.

I can wait for Strix Point with more cores and RDNA3+.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview