News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dismal AMD RDNA 3 refresh rumor suggests all RDNA 3+ RX 7000 SKUs have been canned

Started by Redaktion, January 23, 2023, 10:34:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Launch reviews of the RX 7900 XT/XTX found that the GPUs weren't performing as well as AMD had advertised. This disparity between the marketed and the measured performance sparked speculation that the Navi 31 GPU might be suffering from bugs. Later rumors suggested that a revised Navi 31 could be in the works. Also called RDNA 3+, reports now claim that the possible RDNA 3 refresh has been canceled.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dismal-AMD-RDNA-3-refresh-rumor-suggests-all-RDNA-3-RX-7000-SKUs-have-been-canned.684174.0.html

neblogai

Has this 'All the Watts' person proved himself to be a reliable leaker at all? Or is this just a new profile by Greymon55, after unsuccessful 'leaks'? Some of 'All the Watts' claims are very hard to believe- like Phoenix2 having 2 normal Zen4 cores and 4 dense Zen4C cores. And some of the things are already known to be wrong, like 7640HS specs from him.

OneMinus

@neblogai: The author Fawad Murtaza has often not done any fact checking and has reported based on wrong leaks and questionable sources on many occasions in the past. RedGamingTech is more often than not wrong about leaks so your high level of skepticism is absolutely justified here.

Mig86

@neblogai It's definitely greymon being butthurt for missing all predictions, there's no hw bugs in rdna3, just wrong leaks and misleading marketing.
Performance is actually fine and a big leap when you consider that it's their first chiplet design and the 7900xtx has just 4 more CUs compared to the 6900xt, expecting doubled performance was just silly.

deksman2

Quote from: Mig86 on January 23, 2023, 12:59:48@neblogai It's definitely greymon being butthurt for missing all predictions, there's no hw bugs in rdna3, just wrong leaks and misleading marketing.
Performance is actually fine and a big leap when you consider that it's their first chiplet design and the 7900xtx has just 4 more CUs compared to the 6900xt, expecting doubled performance was just silly.

While its accurate that RDNA 3 didn't have hw bugs, some of the reference gpu's did launch with a manufacturing problem (quality control if you will) in the form of there not being enough liquid for the vapor chamber which did produce inconsistent performance.

But otherwise, I agree that RDNA 3 did have a pretty good leap in performance (pretty much the same as RTX 4xxx series experienced over its own RTX 3xxx series) and AMD also managed to integrate AI into its compute cores (but we'll have to wait and see if software devs actually make use of this technology by using for example open source features like Vulkan, D3D12 and HIP/ROCm - and the level of support AMD will provide for these).

tek-check

Quote from: deksman2 on January 23, 2023, 14:48:50But otherwise, I agree that RDNA 3 did have a pretty good leap in performance (pretty much the same as RTX 4xxx series experienced over its own RTX 3xxx series) and AMD also managed to integrate AI into its compute cores (but we'll have to wait and see if software devs actually make use of this technology by using for example open source features like Vulkan, D3D12 and HIP/ROCm - and the level of support AMD will provide for these).
I do not understand so much press stating "disappointment" in 7900XTX. It's ~50% better than 6900XT and ~60% better than 6800XT. Quite good. True, 4090 is in its own league, but 7900XTX is $1000, so there's nothing too much to complain about, apart form those owners who have vapour chamber issues and need to get replacements.

santa23

i love these rumors, but it pretty stupid if you think about it, amd spend millions making designs/dies, and then they cancel all of them? by that logic nothing really exists

this is more FUD and false rumors than real ones

vertigo

I've also been wondering lately about all these leakers and how they continue to get press coverage. These "news" stories, first that a leaker says something, then another "news" story that they changed their minds and say the first thing they said was wrong. It's like they're just making up whatever random thing they want and saying it to get coverage, then getting more coverage by saying they were wrong, only it doesn't even report it that way. This is the second time I've seen something like this here in the past week or so. I generally avoid stories about leaks because they may or may not be right, so they're already not really news, but to have this back-and-forth crap being reported as news both times is a bit much.

Quote from: santa23 on January 23, 2023, 21:20:26i love these rumors, but it pretty stupid if you think about it, amd spend millions making designs/dies, and then they cancel all of them? by that logic nothing really exists

this is more FUD and false rumors than real ones

It wasn't saying they were canceling anything, just that they were improving on it and releasing future products with those improvements. And now, it turns out, guess not, they got it wrong, whoops.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview