News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Core i5-13400F desktop CPU in review: Economical and inexpensive 10-core processor for gaming and working

Started by Redaktion, January 21, 2023, 09:50:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Intel is gradually expanding the current CPU line-up of Raptor Lake processors without the K suffix. The Intel Core i5-13400F offers a total of up to 16 threads, which are divided into 6P and 4E cores, which strongly resembles an Intel Core i5-12600K at first glance. You can find out what the new CPU can do in this review with numerous benchmarks.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-13400F-desktop-CPU-in-review-Economical-and-inexpensive-10-core-processor-for-gaming-and-working.683539.0.html

Rim

It looks like notebookcheck forgot to add a ryzen 5 7600x but didnt forget to add a 7700x in the CPU charts... It's funny to add it manually and check that the ryzen 5 7600x has a small upperhand in single core and some loses and wins in multi when compared with the cheap i5 13400F...

Saurav

As someone who bothers to upgrade his system every 5-6 years only, I do not keep up with intermediary tech developments. What is new to me is this dual mode TDP, 65/148W in this case. I have a 6700K, with GTX 970, this looks like a proper upgrade. 6700K had a fixed 95W TDP. So I am not sure about the power consumption of this new models with their double TDP readings. I do not want a system which will consume more power than my 6 year old one. Please let me know.

I am an amateur, please don't use tech jargons which I won't understand.

RobertJasiek

PL1 is the lower (but not necessarily minimum) limit, PL2 is the short spike upper limit. There might also be a yet high upper limit for CPU-only use if there is also a GPU. If you want low values, choose a low PL2, such as 45W or lower, and no extra value stated for CPU-only use. For every limit, ranges are possible but most notebooks set some fixed value within a range. Besides, you might choose U series for low PL1 and sometimes H or HS series for not quite as low PL1. Y series or the like, however, might be so low that the system is too slow.

Anonymousgg

Quote from: Saurav on January 22, 2023, 08:23:37As someone who bothers to upgrade his system every 5-6 years only, I do not keep up with intermediary tech developments. What is new to me is this dual mode TDP, 65/148W in this case. I have a 6700K, with GTX 970, this looks like a proper upgrade. 6700K had a fixed 95W TDP. So I am not sure about the power consumption of this new models with their double TDP readings. I do not want a system which will consume more power than my 6 year old one. Please let me know.

Intel was getting annihilated by the press and users for their TDP values not matching reality. So with 12th gen (Alder Lake) they split it into 2 numbers: base TDP and turbo TDP.

The base TDP is the maximum you *might* get if every core is running at its base clock (E-cores have lower base/turbo clocks than P-cores). The turbo TDP is roughly the maximum the processor can use, as long as it's not being user overclocked.

It's going to be limited by cooling capability and what the system manufacturer wants. So when you see that the Core i3-1235U has a base TDP of 15W, and a maximum of 55W, it's very unlikely that a laptop using that chip is going to hit/sustain 55W, but the same chip in a Mini-PC with good cooling might be able to.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor_Lake

QuoteBy default Raptor Lake CPUs are configured to run at Turbo Power at all times and Base Power is only guaranteed when P-Cores/E-cores do not exceed the base clock rate.

Max Turbo Power: the maximum sustained (> 1 s) power dissipation of the processor as limited by current and/or temperature controls. Instantaneous power may exceed Maximum Turbo Power for short durations (≤ 10 ms). Maximum Turbo Power is configurable by system vendor and can be system specific.

Anondo

Quote from: Saurav on January 22, 2023, 08:23:37As someone who bothers to upgrade his system every 5-6 years only, I do not keep up with intermediary tech developments. What is new to me is this dual mode TDP, 65/148W in this case. I have a 6700K, with GTX 970, this looks like a proper upgrade. 6700K had a fixed 95W TDP. So I am not sure about the power consumption of this new models with their double TDP readings. I do not want a system which will consume more power than my 6 year old one. Please let me know.

In brief, 13400F won't consume more power than 6700K in everyday workloads. This is probably one of the few processors where power consumption is the last thing you should worry about.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview