News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

SO-DIMM RAM laptop form-factor to soon be replaced with Dell-developed CAMM standard

Started by Redaktion, January 17, 2023, 18:20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

JEDEC is looking to replace the venerable SO-DIMM standard with a new form-factor called CAMM that allows better scalability of up to 128 GB per module and increased data transfer speeds beyond DDR5-6400. Furthermore, CAMM would allow for thinner and lighter laptop chassis, as well as user-replaceable LPDDR modules.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/SO-DIMM-RAM-laptop-form-factor-to-soon-be-replaced-with-Dell-developed-CAMM-standard.682337.0.html

kek

With how much s*** Dell gets for their consumer stuff lol, when they put in effort, they actually come up with some pretty good stuff.

"Another advantage offered by CAMM is that LPDDR modules can be replaceable instead of being soldered to the mainboard, which would add the much needed upgradability factor for thin and light notebooks."

This is like the biggest advantage it will bring to consumers.

Anonymousgg

Quote from: kek on January 17, 2023, 23:44:43With how much s*** Dell gets for their consumer stuff lol, when they put in effort, they actually come up with some pretty good stuff.

"Another advantage offered by CAMM is that LPDDR modules can be replaceable instead of being soldered to the mainboard, which would add the much needed upgradability factor for thin and light notebooks."

Unless this turns out to be cheaper than soldered somehow, we're going to continue see most laptops using soldered memory. Even if it was, OEMs might not be able to resist the soldered upsell. Spend hundreds of dollars just to get another +8 GB and bigger SSD.

What it does do is prevent the death of SO-DIMM from becoming the death of all upgradeable/replaceable memory. But it might only catch on in enterprise, workstation, and some gaming laptops.

Overall, CAMM is a good thing, but I would stay pessimistic.

kek

Quote from: Anonymousgg on January 18, 2023, 00:22:16
Quote from: kek on January 17, 2023, 23:44:43With how much s*** Dell gets for their consumer stuff lol, when they put in effort, they actually come up with some pretty good stuff.

Unless this turns out to be cheaper than soldered somehow, we're going to continue see most laptops using soldered memory. Even if it was, OEMs might not be able to resist the soldered upsell. Spend hundreds of dollars just to get another +8 GB and bigger SSD.

What it does do is prevent the death of SO-DIMM from becoming the death of all upgradeable/replaceable memory. But it might only catch on in enterprise, workstation, and some gaming laptops.

Overall, CAMM is a good thing, but I would stay pessimistic.

I'm gonna give a pass for soldered stuff for OEMs like LG (where weight is everything on those Gram Laptops) and maybe Dell (because they at least wont scam you with certain upgrades + not all their laptops are like that). But yeah, I doubt Apple will jump on this anytime soon.

I would say having this on Business laptops would be a great win, since those are better made than the consumer grade stuff and tend to get cheap in the long run.

NikoB

They get cheap fast because the reality is they're made like crap. I recently burned out (the power circuit of the motherboard burned out, despite the fact that it never overclocked) a Thinkpad 12 years ago, despite the fact that a gaming laptop from MSI 15 years ago is still working ...

No one wants this crappy "business" overpriced rubbish. If the product is reliable, it is highly valued - business solutions have long become worthless rubbish in terms of reliability, in which the price is greatly inflated initially, which proves the fall in prices later.

And CAMM modules are just an attempt by Western capitalists to cynically change the rules of the game when conventional modules have become too cheap and do not bring them profit. And nothing more. There will be no progress there. Moreover, distant chips on such a block will have greater delays than those closest to the connector. This is a priori an idiotic decision, made only in order to change the rules of the game and throw into the trash all the stocks of conventional DDR4/DDR5 accumulated in the world.

The AMD 7945HX has 28 pci-e 5.0 lanes, each link is 4GB/s. 28 x 4 = 112Gbyte/s. The memory of the 7945HX does not even reach 100 GB/s. At the same time, it is empirically known that in order for the system to respond normally and everything to work easily without lags, the speed of RAM is 8-10 times greater than the load from peripheral devices on the system buses requires. So the memory speed for the 7945HX should be at least 900GByte/s-1TByte/s. The question is - what kind of RAM is capable of providing such a data transfer rate today? Only HBM memory! Which is installed in top-end video cards. And it should already be in EVERY modern laptop! Even on ordinary i3-i5, because the speed of RAM has long been a bottleneck in the system! This is easily proved by the sharp growth of L1-L3 caches in processors. =)

Obviously, HBM memory with a 512/1024 bit bus requires very complex connection sockets at the processor level or direct wiring on the motherboard.

Therefore, CAMM modules are complete nonsense and will not give any real progress.

NikoB

Moreover, with today's topological standards, HBM memory will require the same cooling as processors and discrete video chips with their own soldered memory. With huge heatsinks and cooling coolers. Those. you will have to add 2 more heat pipes to the system, a minimum and a cooling radiator with a third cooler!

By the way, I'm giving the engineers a hint - If you're still soldering GDDR6X/HBM memory for video chips on laptop motherboards, then damn it, make a direct connection to this processor memory! When will this obvious improvement come to the stupid on their own?

You need a direct connection of the memory controller to the HBM / GDDR6x memory chips, at least in laptops, without the participation of the pci-e brake bus! In this case, when the video chip is not used (for example, when the built-in is working) - the processor and the video build-in will receive super-fast 16-20GB HBM / GDDR6x memory for system needs! This is just a super solution, but not a single development department has come up with its own mind yet!

Eric

Love the Idea but want to see this put to a real test using something like Leica Register 360 or Cyclone running GIGS of Point Clouds. No one really creates a good Point Cloud Ready machine. I am excited to test this CAMM idea myself...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview