News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The demise of HDMI over USB-C (Alt Mode) and more power in cables

Started by Redaktion, January 11, 2023, 13:42:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

True USB-C to HDMI adapters are no longer going to be a thing. The HDMI Alt Mode is more or less history, and DisplayPort has won. Notebookcheck spoke to HDMI LA and the USB-IF about it. Furthermore, there is hope that more devices can be powered directly over HDMI in future.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-demise-of-HDMI-over-USB-C-Alt-Mode-and-more-power-in-cables.680552.0.html

NikoB

It is the greatest stupidity to refuse this mode, because DP cables from 3 to 10 are shorter than HDMI cables. And there are many laptop models that have TB4 ports but no HDMI output. What would you order their owners to do if they need to connect a 4k TV and want to watch a movie or series or show on it? For example, on a projector with a 10m long cable in the seat?

NikoB

The industry is already 5 years old, it's time to switch to optical cables! Where the bitrate is not limited by anything, and the cable length can reach 50-100m! When will we finally be able to put noisy PC and laptop cases in the back room or other room and sit in complete silence, even with 100% load on the processor and discrete graphics card? The capitalists deliberately limit the progress of civilization and the comfort of people for the last 10 years. Capitalism, with its greed and greed, in a mad search for profit wherever possible, crossed the fatal line and became the chains on the feet of mankind.

johnzena

Which non capitalist companies are using what you suggest? Plus aren't fiber optic more fragile to use?

LL

NikoB is convinced that with whatever dictator family, he would get in present what was not developed in the past...

WL

Interesting... I had thought the Microsoft USB-C to HDMI adapter was a native adapter?

Anyways, it's not a huge loss as everyone will just have to buy an active USB-C to HDMI adapter. (and maybe that's what's everyone been doing that this whole time?)

Gene Y.

My brand new Nreal Air AR glasses use UBC-C altmode as several other AR glasses. It was a real PITA to find an adapter that supports it and allows charging my phone at the same time. It still has its uses for many devices.

Bil Danielson

@niko, just for the record the ONLY reason you have the insanely fabulous tech you are playing with presently is capitalism. That it is constrained and bastardized by government intervention and cronies notwithstanding. We need more free markets, not less!

NikoB

Pure capitalism is not possible because greed and greed eventually win out over the ability to bring progress to everyone.

When technologies that have already been developed intentionally worsen or deliberately disable functions that are already in the system and for which you paid anyway, and this is generally immoral.

Of course, not everyone can understand this, the majority of the population has a veil before their eyes.

Capitalists are not angels (like the majority of the population, as events since 2020 have proven to us), without regulation of their actions, they are reborn into imperialists.

For example, the patent system has long been a brake on progress. It should help start-ups, but limit the rights to own patents of TNCs, but everything is just different...

Optics, on the other hand, require just a careful approach and at least the ability to wash your hands. In 2020, it has also become easier...

Bob Cymbalski

I'm surprised by this article.  I just bought a USB-C to hdmi cable at Amazon.   It worked fine for my Dell ultrasync monitor but did not work for my Samsung Odyssey G6 monitor.

JMRM the First

Quote from: Bil Danielson on January 12, 2023, 14:54:37@niko, just for the record the ONLY reason you have the insanely fabulous tech you are playing with presently is capitalism. That it is constrained and bastardized by government intervention and cronies notwithstanding. We need more free markets, not less!
Let's see, computers, the Internet, and the graphical web browser are all products of government funding and research.

The government also split the atom, put men in orbit and on the Moon, and sent probes to the ends of the solar system.

Private industry invented seat belts, but refused to put them in every car until the government required them to.

It's time to stop the propaganda that the modern world would exist without the government.

RobOrd00

I use these USB-C to HDMI adapters all the time with Intel NUC Bean Canyon computes all the time over the last 4 years, so to say that they don't know of a single adapter that's been produced is truly ignorant.

Brent

I realize this is Notebook chat, but Usb-c is also used by many other devices including phones, and Android does and has supported such "non-existent" HDMI adapters for years.

NikoB

Quote from: Brent on January 14, 2023, 14:13:59I realize this is Notebook chat, but Usb-c is also used by many other devices including phones, and Android does and has supported such "non-existent" HDMI adapters for years.
You, like most readers, are confusing direct hdmi alt mode with an active adapter from dp alt mode to hdmi. Such adapters have a special DP to HDMI converter chip inside. And what is very bad - if a laptop supports HDMI 2.1 48Gbps natively, these chips do not support this mode today. And besides, the output of DP2.0 (2.1) today on usb-c does not exist in nature. Thus, it is impossible to get 4k@144Hz output with HDR(30bit) on such laptops if there is no direct hdmi 2.1 from usb-c ports. And only the native HDMI Alt Mode allows you to transfer native hdmi 2.1 via usb-c in passive mode bypassing converter-chips, which still do not support it today.

Therefore, the abolition of such a standard (moreover, more long-range than DP) is complete nonsense on the part of the industry.

Alexnado

I use usb-c to HDMI câble on my surface tablet every day to display 4k60p on my tv. This is very common. Only costs a few bucks on Amazon.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview