News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

YouTuber attempts to fast charge his Tesla Model 3 Performance during winter storm at -14°F

Started by Redaktion, December 29, 2022, 23:34:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

In addition to a significantly shorter range per charge, the Supercharger experiment with the Tesla Model 3 Performance illustrates another weakness that EV drivers may have to deal with in super cold winter temperatures, although this particular scenario is quite unlikely to happen during regular usage.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/YouTuber-attempts-to-fast-charge-his-Tesla-Model-3-Performance-during-winter-storm-at-14-F.677419.0.html

cingcong

for anyone who is ready for his car to break down in the middle of the road, of course, buy an electric car

NikoB

From countries with a cold climate, electric cars will never be profitable for ordinary people who honestly work to earn a living.

Norway does not count - the population there simply lives on oil and gas rent. They essentially do not work productively, but are dependents.

not_anton

I live in Finland and drive an EV. It is super profitable, was 5 times cheaper than gas but dropped to 3.5 times cheaper with more expensive electricity recently. Our gas price are ridiculous from added taxes, gas cars are never cheap, and they too eat more fuel in winter.

EV charges just fine overnight with a slow 1.5kW charger cable, and 2/3 of max range is enough for everyday commute. For long distance journeys one would obviously rent a gas car anyway.

NikoB

In, in, a typical representative is the hope for rent and that electricity will not rise in price. )))

Norwegian

Quote from: NikoB on December 30, 2022, 13:35:58From countries with a cold climate, electric cars will never be profitable for ordinary people who honestly work to earn a living.

Norway does not count - the population there simply lives on oil and gas rent. They essentially do not work productively, but are dependents.

I am Norwegian and live in Norway. I also work 50-60 hours a week. Cost of living is high.

I own a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Winter is not an issue at all, neither is charging. The range is shorter if it's very cold. It wasn't an issue with my BMW i3 either.

Pffft...

Quote from: cingcong on December 30, 2022, 10:15:57for anyone who is ready for his car to break down in the middle of the road, of course, buy an electric car

Lol, literally every fossil feuled car I have owned has broken down in the middle of the road at some point.

I guess that makes me ready to try electric.

BobMm

Wait, you're saying 90 minutes is "performed pretty well"? Definitely a bit of wishful thinking there. If I had to sit there for an hour and a half I'd be ready to give it away.

Mark Schaffer

The test is unrealistic when it comes to superchargers on a trip.  Any normal person puts in the destination and the Tesla preconditions the battery for fast charging by the time you reach the next supercharger.
No one cold soaks a Tesla at a supercharger under such conditions. Instead you leave it plugged into a destination charger overnight where the Tesla will maintain a more optimal set of conditions.

Porter

Very interesting observation with real world consequences if one decide to purchase an EV vs Petro. I'm convinced there is more work to be done in the area of battery technology beforehand. I'm convinced a straight up EV is a less productive vehicle all around in extremely cold weather terrain. Right now as a consumer; a hybrid EV is the future for individuals living in extremely cold weather climates. Brilliantly written article with researched based open air observations. Thank you for sharing.

NikoB

The gasoline engine gives independence in movement from the authorities at a considerable distance from the starting point of movement. Especially with pre-made intentional stocks. Electric enslaves and limits as much as possible, therefore it is supported in every possible way by the authorities of most countries - it is beneficial for them. Therefore, they deliberately destroy more mobile and autonomous means of population movement.

Electric cars are just bringing the electronic global concentration camp closer. And the owners of electric vehicles have already experienced all this more than once in their own skin - they do not actually drive the car, but its manufacturer and beneficiaries who are at the helm of the company. And behind them and the authorities associated with them...

Da Fuq

Da Fuq did you even just say??

Quote from: NikoB on January 02, 2023, 14:49:29The gasoline engine gives independence in movement from the authorities at a considerable distance from the starting point of movement. Especially with pre-made intentional stocks. Electric enslaves and limits as much as possible, therefore it is supported in every possible way by the authorities of most countries - it is beneficial for them. Therefore, they deliberately destroy more mobile and autonomous means of population movement.

Electric cars are just bringing the electronic global concentration camp closer. And the owners of electric vehicles have already experienced all this more than once in their own skin - they do not actually drive the car, but its manufacturer and beneficiaries who are at the helm of the company. And behind them and the authorities associated with them...

Mugen

I just love to watch all these know it alls when it comes to battery powered vehicles.  Batteries are for flashlights and dildos not real cars!  The gasoline powered vehicle will never be replaced by a battery powered snow job.  Global warming is a natural occurrence and not man made.  Too many people buy into the fake news media.  Suggestion, stop being brainwashed by fake news media!  Stop watching it all together n you'll be just fine!

Joe

That kind of weather is hard on everything. It's been years since I've lived in a climate like that, but I remember losing 15-20% of my range on any gas car I drove. Some of them were fickle about starting at all. Winter sucks.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview