News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus Zenbook Pro 16X OLED review - Extreme laptop with a special trick

Started by Redaktion, December 16, 2022, 12:32:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

is the Pro 16X with an Intel Core i9-12900H and a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060. Supplemented by a 4K OLED screen, touchscreen and stylus input as well as an Asus Dial, the notebook is aimed at demanding users from the creative industry. But it can also double as a slim gamer or workstation.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zenbook-Pro-16X-OLED-review-Extreme-laptop-with-a-special-trick.674434.0.html

NikoB

Let's smear the new Asus on the wall with a thin layer. Let's start:

The wild noise is 8x louder (+6dB 2x2x2 (+18/6=3x 6dB) to the ear) than the Legion 5 2022 at 12700H (according to the review), with only 30% more consumption and the worst of possible performance for 12900H. He even loses to 12700H in Legion 5!

Going further, despite the top-end memory controller in the i9, this product miserably loses in terms of memory speed to the Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro laptop with the younger 12700H (notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-Slim-7i-Pro-X-laptop-review-Elegant -creative-laptop-with-Nvidia-GeForce-RTX.672828.0.html)

The memory is not expandable up to 64GB.

i9 speed is worse than i7 solutions (notebookcheck.net/The-fastest-Core-i7-12700H-laptop-you-can-buy-Lenovo-Legion-5-15IAH7H-review.669755.0.html). Waste of money...

Let's spread it further. As can be clearly seen from the macro photography of the subpixels, the real color resolution does not correspond to 4k, i.e. it loses with IPS panels in pure color resolution.
And once again I emphasize the old truth - as everyone can see from the review - the author once again could not calibrate the panel hardware to dE less than 2. At the same time, almost all IPS screens with NTSC 72% + are easily calibrated to greater color accuracy. And this is not counting the wildly glaring matrix (the elimination of an unnecessary touchscreen on a 16" will not help in any way) and a sharply smaller panel resource compared to IPS panels. Finishing the screen theme with a monstrous 60Hz PWM (this is a really "extreme" version for damage to vision and the nervous system!), you can immediately send the screen of this model under the bulldozer. RIP.

There are few ports, which forces you to immediately buy a docking station for TB4. However, since the buyer did not feel sorry for 3000+ euros, he would somehow scrape together a normal docking station for 300-400 euros...

The laptop consumes a lot at rest, which does not fit in with its battery life. The author's figures do not correspond to the battery capacity of 96Wh. 96Wh/11.1W x 60 ~ 518 minutes at full rest! How the author got 763 minutes at rest and 532 minutes in surfing, let's leave it to his conscience about the method of measuring consumption and calculating the time of work ...

You can't even mention a keyboard without a numpad for 16 ", so a trifle, against the background of other shortcomings, this is clearly a model for "creative" people. They obviously do not need to enter a lot of complex text and formulas...

The same mindless monster as the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme G5 (notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-G5-Laptop-reviewed-Flagship-ThinkPad-with-more-CPU-power.672968.0.html)

If there were those who wanted to buy it for 3300(+400 for good TB4 doc station in mind) euros?

LL

Another system unable to cool the extreme CPU that is only there to increase the price.

Ednumero

Quote from: NikoB on December 16, 2022, 23:31:44As can be clearly seen from the macro photography of the subpixels, the real color resolution does not correspond to 4k, i.e. it loses with IPS panels in pure color resolution.
It is still a full RGB matrix and proper 3840(RGB)x2400, just in a different arrangement compared to what's common in IPS panels.

Putting aside the slight offsets in the runs of blue dots surrounding the dead spots, which I haven't found to be super visible in practice (using a similar panel), you can still draw square boxes in full resolution that each contain their own RGB components: one red, one green, and two blue dots per.

I do agree that other OLED devices (especially phones), which do use incomplete matrices, are a raw deal for consumers.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview