News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Starlink satellite Internet download speeds in the US and Canada drop by double digits again

Started by Redaktion, November 30, 2022, 20:29:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

As Starlink's customer base grows dramatically, its download speeds have once again dropped on a quarterly basis. The number of US counties with at least 10 unique Starlink satellite Internet subscribers has increased 200% year-on-year, resulting in slower overall speeds.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Starlink-satellite-Internet-download-speeds-in-the-US-and-Canada-drop-by-double-digits-again.671846.0.html

NikoB

There is nothing better than an optical cable to the house. But it turns out that there are a lot of people, even in California, who are still sitting on outdated DSL 75/15Mbits for monstrous money...

JJS

Yesterday, midday, I downloaded 84gb and it was topping 200Mbps the entire time.

Not sure where and how you get your numbers, but in my experience, it is not accurate.

NikoB

All this in this gloomy world is inaccurate and foggy. Right now easy I can buy a tariff for 500Mbps via cable to home+3 SIM cards and shared 2500 minutes for calls for all country cell and ground operators, plus 150GB of mobile shared traffic (now I have unlimited cell traffic for 3G/4G, but the tariff is slightly different but cheaper) and all this for $20 in month...

And what I wrote is the real complaints of California residents. Imagine - there are a lot of places in the USA where fiber has not been installed and people are massively sitting on antique DSL, just like in Europe, for example, in some parts of Germany ...

Wayne Newton

Quote from: NikoB on November 30, 2022, 22:42:25There is nothing better than an optical cable to the house. But it turns out that there are a lot of people, even in California, who are still sitting on outdated DSL 75/15Mbits for monstrous money...
Or DSL with 20 / 1.5 !  That's my situation in rural AZ ... all I hear about is money for Broadband but the dollars follow the population. This is expected for pure commercial deployments , but in terms of govt subsidies it should be more agnostic to population density.

NikoB

Quote from: Wayne Newton on December 02, 2022, 15:46:23Or DSL with 20 / 1.5 !  That's my situation in rural AZ ... all I hear about is money for Broadband but the dollars follow the population. This is expected for pure commercial deployments , but in terms of govt subsidies it should be more agnostic to population density.
People need to understand that Starlink, like other similar systems within a certain geographical location, is always a network topology "hub" with a shared bandwidth resource, and not a fastest "switch".
Therefore, the more users of such systems near you, the slower the connection will be in both directions. Physics cannot be deceived and miracles do not happen.

Starlink, of course, is trying to recoup the costs, but as I wrote earlier, this is more of an "emergency" network and a network for communication opportunities for professionals in the "field" , as well as for the ability to break into the network for opposition circles in totalitarian and authoritarian countries, if you can secretly bring equipment.

Whenever possible, you need to pull fiber optics to your settlement as the fastest and most stable source of network access.

Someday, with scientific and technological progress, phones may learn to communicate directly with satellites at high speed, although this requires simply devilish sensitivity on the side of the satellites, because high radiation is dangerous for the owner of the phone, as well as high consumption quickly draining the battery.

In any case, Starlink as a long-term way to provide a stable and fast connection is initially a bad idea with an increase in the number of users. And the sky littered with satellites begins to annoy not only astronomers ...

NikoB

The state, the local administration, performing its key social functions, should contribute to the stretching of optical fiber almost everywhere on shares with private companies that are not interested in independent laying of infrastructure, within reason. To ensure that even small villages have access to a powerful backbone network.

Fast and cheap Internet allows the local population to be included in the digital knowledge economy if there are no other jobs nearby.

In the United States, only 1.6% (excluding seasonal illegal immigrants from Mexico) of the active part of the population from 18 to 65 are employed in the agricultural sector and about 8% in various industries (although this is more likely due to the unpleasant dependence of the United States on the greedy transfer of the business of this very industry to Asia in the pursuit of maximum profit on poorly paid Asian workers, which served as the degradation of many regions of the United States and Europe into industrial self-sufficiency).
The rest of the people have no choice (as in most developed countries), how to engage in some kind of service, including remote work. Bringing a stream of money to your settlement, followed by merchants of goods. And the fast Internet contributes to the development of the local community.

With the acceleration of automation and robotization (although now this will apparently be over), an increasing part of the population will be forced to engage in services and creativity in order to survive without some kind of basic income, like a tax on capitalist automated factories.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview