News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple clarifies lack of high-definition Bluetooth codec support for AirPods Max and AirPods Pro 2

Started by Redaktion, November 24, 2022, 23:07:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

While the AirPods Max and AirPods Pro 2 have been heralded as offering excellent audio quality for their class, neither support high-definition Bluetooth audio codecs. Instead, both peak at 256 kbps over AAC, or SBC if you are not using an Apple product. Finally, an Apple engineer has commented on why the company has elected against supporting LDAC, aptX or equivalents.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-clarifies-lack-of-high-definition-Bluetooth-codec-support-for-AirPods-Max-and-AirPods-Pro-2.670484.0.html

opelit

While the newer codex doesn't bring much better quality, then it still improves how wide the signal is.  Makeing it more detailed at 20hz or rly high like 20khz +.

Old codec, however does perfectly fine in the hearing freq. so yeach apple is right. But if someone actually has rly good hearing then they lose a lot from these lows and high freq quality.

ValdikSS

AAC is definitely better than aptX. aptX require higher bitrate because it is very simple complexity-wise, that's a codec from 1990, designed for low-end devices of that time, while AAC has a complex psychoacoustic model and require a factor more computations.

My guess is that aptX license just costs less than AAC, that's why it is more widespread with headphone manufacturers.

All these codecs could technically be replaced with high-bitrate SBC. Nobody is interested in that because it won't yeild any money to anyone.

Fahad Ayaz

Ascariss

Quote from: Fahad Ayaz on November 25, 2022, 15:42:07In other words, they're working on their own propriety version but it's not ready yet.

This.

Then they will release a new model with the new codec support but not update the older headphones because they "lack' the tech. Ah apple, screwing customers one innovation at a time.

Gus K

Can't believe their "engineers" making the call if higher codec bandwidth would sound better. They need a group of reputable hi-fi enthusiasts to evaluate.

I have various wired and wireless cans and my LDAC headphones at the highest setting definitely sound better as long as the recording was decent and digitised properly.

S.Yu

They're right, in a sense, because Earpods have laughable sound quality, so AAC is enough, and that IMO is better than many equally laughable earphones with the deceptive "Hi-Res" sticker.

Louis Alley

Apple makes some good products, but sometimes as a company they make these weird decisions, and even worse, they dig in.  Remember when they removed the escape key and replaced it with a touch bar?  Remember when they removed all the laptop ports and left only usb-c?  Remember when they turned their pro machine into a trash can?

My airpods pro 2 have had a horrible interference problem when talking on the phone.  I believe the interference problem is ultimately rooted in something about my iPhone 13 Pro.  I think they announced the usb-c version of airpods pro 2 will support high def audio.  A mixed bag.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview