News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Tesla charging system analysis proves it superior to CCS connectors

Started by Redaktion, November 20, 2022, 15:48:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Tesla charging port and cable connector solution, collectively called the North American Charging Standard, has been dissected for visual comparison with the Common Charging Standard plug that other EVs use. The NACS system proved lighter, more compact, and, overall,  the more elegant solution without skimping on specifications.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla-charging-system-analysis-proves-it-superior-to-CCS-connectors.669555.0.html

Joe D.

"It was found to be lighter, more compact, and more efficient than the CCS port and connector combo"

As an engineer it is absolutely laughable to me this doesn't address things like maximum amperage, lifespan of the connector, or anything else. This basically argues for form over function on a *charging* standard. Its hard to take articles like this seriously when they read like Tesla press releases rather than applying even a ounce of critical analysis

ricegf

"... this doesn't address things like amperage..." 1 megawatt at 1,000 volts would be 1,000 amps.

But I too would like to see performance, reliability, and safety comparisons. In particular, the impact of the CCS mechanical latch on its reliability compared to Tesla's design with no moving parts would be fascinating.

eNgiNeER

"As an engineer"... LOL. They've done testing and much more engineering than you have im sure. Every single time someone or group says that Tesla or SpaceX or whatnot was inferior, tesla is batting a 1.000 average of being superior. Northrop Grumman thought the same and got smacked. And they have limitless amounts of resources.

Born Yesterday

@Joe D what nonsense are you on about? You say you're an engineer, but you're upset the article didn't state the amperage, even though it gave all specifications to very simply calculate it for yourself. You say you're an engineer, but the article failed to touch on long term wear comparison between NACS with no moving parts, and CCS with moving parts. You say it reads like it's purpose is to be pro Tesla for the sake of it, but you sound like the usual anti-Tesla nutter, frothing at the lips, ready to lunge at anything and anyone who says anything positive about Tesla, even if it's literally a professionally made technical comparison between two technologies, just because you're mad the clearly better tech happens to be made by Tesla. I doubt you could engineer a paper clip. You apparently can't work a calculator. 

StanP

I agree with John D
1MW at 1KV is only relevant if 1MW was rated at 1KV. In that case yes, it will be 1KA. However if its been rated at 2KV, then the cable can safely handle 500A at any voltage up to 2KV. You cant run 1KA at 1KV.

MWF

Quote from: Joe D. on November 23, 2022, 03:04:00"It was found to be lighter, more compact, and more efficient than the CCS port and connector combo"

As an engineer it is absolutely laughable to me this doesn't address things like maximum amperage, lifespan of the connector, or anything else. This basically argues for form over function on a *charging* standard. Its hard to take articles like this seriously when they read like Tesla press releases rather than applying even a ounce of critical analysis

Could have just said "As a member of SAE I suffer from not invented here syndrome"

Aldrich Bautista

May 25, 2023 Update:  Ford is North American Charging Standard (NACS).

"Starting early next year, Ford EV customers will have access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, in addition to the over 10,000 DC fast-chargers that are already part of the BlueOval Charge Network. This will give Ford EV customers unprecedented access to fast-charging

Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence

In 2025, Ford will offer next-generation electric vehicles with the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector built-in, eliminating the need for an adapter to access Tesla Superchargers"

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview