News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel NUC Pro Chassis Element in review - Modular barebone for many purposes

Started by Redaktion, November 20, 2022, 09:12:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The NUC pro chassis element is primarily just an empty case and only comes to life with a compute element. We took a closer look at the device and analyzed the performance of four different compute elements. These rely on Intel's latest Alder Lake-U processors in the latest version.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-NUC-Pro-Chassis-Element-in-review-Modular-barebone-for-many-purposes.669492.0.html

davidm

This is badly overpriced, the U chips are pointless for this purpose, more of a gimmick, "Oh look we put a chip designed for a laptop in a desktop." Why not compare it to something like the ASRock Mini PC offerings? They can use a much more powerful desktop class chip for less money. And they've included boringly standard features like USB-C for years.

Calling this "sustainable" is a gimmick, and I am surprised the reviewer played along. A used module after an upgrade still needs a chassis so its zero sum at best. What contributes more to sustainability is maintaining the same socket design and user replaceable chips for years. The parts can progress through different use cases, with the exact components they need.

I guess there might be some advantage if you can take an outdated compute element from a series laptop and use it in a desktop chassis, like Framework's offering (where the shell is much less expensive), but reviews don't really spell this out, and the economics just don't add up.

I wasted a lot of money on a Lenovo X series with an Intel chip after reading a review here, realizing the serious deficiencies of the device were between the lines in the review.

I really like this site for its consistency and thoroughness in some classes of reviews, but sometimes it should call a dud a dud, rather than trying to highlight the positive. Sometimes you need to override the calculated score with human to human -50 "but ultimately this is an overpriced stinker, sluggish, with terrible battery life and the fan is always on," in the case of the X I quickly sold. This is another such case (literally, though maybe that doesn't translate). There is nothing great about this overpriced plastic shell with a few outdated ports.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview