News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Meteor Lake and Arrow Lake leak suggests the 14th gen CPUs focus on better efficiency while the 15th gen chips could bring an up to 34% IPC uplift

Started by Redaktion, November 15, 2022, 08:45:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

According to the latest report from Moore's Law Is Dead, the company is preparing the 14th gen Meteor Lake to improve upon the performance of the Raptor Lake CPUs while also being more power efficient. Furthermore, the 15th gen Arrow Lake could come with an even bigger leap in horsepower compared to Meteor Lake.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Meteor-Lake-and-Arrow-Lake-leak-suggests-the-14th-gen-CPUs-focus-on-better-efficiency-while-the-15th-gen-chips-could-bring-an-up-to-34-IPC-uplift.668447.0.html

Anonymousgg

QuoteSimilarly, the Skymont E-core could also bring a healthy upgrade over the 14th gen Gracemont core.

Skymont over Crestmont.

It will be interesting to see the evolution of E-cores. If they are getting smaller IPC increases, then they need to be shrinking.

NikoB

Until laptop processors stop consuming more than 15W in turbo mode, having a performance of at least modern 45W series, there will be no progress in reality. Neither in autonomy, nor in the noise level, i.e. noiseless solutions. Today, what Intel and AMD are doing is not even a vicious circle. A vicious spiral of degradation.

88&88

QuoteUntil laptop processors stop consuming more than 15W in turbo mode, having a performance of at least modern 45W series, there will be no progress in reality. Neither in autonomy, nor in the noise level, i.e. noiseless solutions. Today, what Intel and AMD are doing is not even a vicious circle. A vicious spiral of degradation.

I agree with you! Same Nvidia, just compare RRX 3060 with GTX1080Ti, same number of cores, with different bus but with higher GDDR6 and slightly difference TDP but performances are the same. Really doubt that after 3 years of generations there is a different architect, meanwhile I suppose that they added rt cores and implemented AI.

kek

Quote from: NikoB on November 15, 2022, 13:07:24Until laptop processors stop consuming more than 15W in turbo mode, having a performance of at least modern 45W series, there will be no progress in reality. Neither in autonomy, nor in the noise level, i.e. noiseless solutions. Today, what Intel and AMD are doing is not even a vicious circle. A vicious spiral of degradation.

If you knew your way around, you would know disabling Turbo does this, at least on TigerLake.

Just disable Turbo and ta-da, your 15W peak power usage CPU is there. I tested this on a 1185G7. I would assume the same would apply to those H-series CPU.

NikoB

Quote from: kek on November 15, 2022, 18:59:29Just disable Turbo and ta-da, your 15W peak power usage CPU is there.
This directly contradicts my assertion that productivity stays within the same range, which is what true progress means. =)

Sylvain

Ceux qui veulent desactiver le turbo vous etes au couran que en mode eco du centre de mobilité windows il est pratiquement desactiver et ne se mets que lorsque on veut ouvrir des fichier ou efectuer de breves action ?
A desactiver totalement le turbo boost tu perd juste ton temps

boe

How about adding more PCIe lanes - is that too much to ask for?   After the nic, drives, sound, wifi etc. there should be at least 32 PCIe lanes free when you turn on your PC.  Sure you could buy a server type motherboard and pay more for the processors and get a more expensive motherboard with obsolete tech or Intel could go crazy and just give us more lanes.

Every major PC motherboard vendor has at least 2 PCIe 16x slots - many have 3 PCIe 16x slots.  But try to put in a good video card, good raid controller and a good network card and you don't have nearly enough lanes.  Oh but the motherboard comes with a nic - is it 100gbps?   Oh but it doesn't need a raid card - I know plenty of people besides myself who store all their movies there.    Well then you should just buy a server board - again avoiding the better solution...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview