News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Starlink ends its unlimited satellite Internet data policy as download speeds keep dropping

Started by Redaktion, November 05, 2022, 19:34:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

North American Starlink satellite Internet users have started getting messages that their data allotment is no longer unlimited. Not only did Starlink move its faster download speed tiers from the residential to the business options, but it is now capping them to 1TB of usage per month before throttling kicks in.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Starlink-ends-its-unlimited-satellite-Internet-data-policy-as-download-speeds-keep-dropping.666667.0.html

Elon Suck

This sucks because the policy will outlast the speed issues.
One day the constellation will be built out so that there will be fewer issues with download speeds dropping due to peak usage but the data cap will stay to milk more money.
Still unbelievable how Elon's fans praise him as savior of humanity no matter how many shady corporate moves he (already) copies.

Emanuel Crisp

Ethereum freaks complaining that continually utilising over 3Mbps (24/7) is not enough to keep their Ponzi scheme going! Yet another reason why the collapsing cryptocurrency scam can get in the sea. Pay for a wired connection if crypto is such a bottomless pit of wealth creation. You can afford it!

NikoB

The Internet, which is not controlled by local authorities, becomes very dangerous for maintaining the necessary order among the serfs. Most likely, someone like the DPRK (by the hands of Eun) will carry out the fresh idea of сhinese scientists to detonate a thermonuclear bomb in the atmosphere (or something similar) and completely eliminate the Starlink network and the like. Before the world plunges into a new dark and gloomy Middle Ages with a sharp decline in population (this is already absolutely guaranteed), any signs and possibilities of globalization will be destroyed. The world is rapidly turning into closed concentration camps...

DG

This is why people must be allowed to own guns. Authorities and their police are going to be much less keen on subjugating the populace if it can defend itself.

NikoB

Quote from: DG on November 06, 2022, 19:13:17This is why people must be allowed to own guns. Authorities and their police are going to be much less keen on subjugating the populace if it can defend itself.
In the US, almost the entire population is armed (there are more guns, including automatic weapons and even machine guns, than the population), the Republicans are almost 100% armed. But this did not prevent the authorities from brazenly trampling all laws and the constitution in 2020 by banning and forcing fake vaccines. Where was the population in arms against frankly insolent officials and local authorities, forcing them to give lethal injections and limit their lives? And how many people died due to heart disease, seizures and depression, how many lives were destroyed? Millions? People are divided and behave like social animals, not like free people, the majority.

Therefore, weapons, as the events of 2020-2021 clearly proved, are a completely useless thing in the hands of stupid and cowardly sheep with a slave mentality. A weapon is just a small component of the success of countering the criminal thoughts of authoritarian and totalitarian authorities in any country in the world. A larger part of the success of resistance is civic courage and courage as responsibility, good outlook, education, critical thinking and common sense, which allow you to behave as efficiently as possible and go for a deliberate confrontation if necessary, and not stick your head in sand.

And how many such people are left in the United States, compared with what it was at least 150-200 years ago? Or in Europe?

I'm afraid the current population of the United States would already be able to build the same America as it once did in the past. They would simply slide into the same totalitarian slavery as in Russia or China.

The process of globalization is destroying nation as states and destroy calls for "patriotism" as the last resort of power rascals.

Today, states represent protectionist zones that by force ensure the advantage of some social groups over others on the entire planet, while the world is essentially turning into one big village without borders and where some group of the population would no longer be able to significantly stand out from others in standard of living without real merit and effort, as it is now.

SyCoREAPER

Saw this month's ago. Musks ventures cannot be trusted. He starts off wild and full of promises and slowly scales them back after he suckers enough people in.

Jakexzccvb

Quote from: Elon Suck on November 06, 2022, 08:46:10This sucks because the policy will outlast the speed issues.
One day the constellation will be built out so that there will be fewer issues with download speeds dropping due to peak usage but the data cap will stay to milk more money.
Still unbelievable how Elon's fans praise him as savior of humanity no matter how many shady corporate moves he (already) copies.

Why do you insist on immediately calling everybody that doesn't agree with you like some sort of Fanatics and extremist isn't it possible that people can disagree with you without you vilifying them? I don't think Elon is my savior, but I live in the fucking Woods dude. For Better or For Worse Starling is the only way I could watch a fucking Netflix movie. Am I bummed that they're going to start capping s***? Yes I am. But you know what I'm also not I'm not some cryptocurrency parasite who was blowing out the system that fucked the rest of us.

Jakexzccvb

Quote from: SyCoREAPER on November 07, 2022, 01:34:04Saw this month's ago. Musks ventures cannot be trusted. He starts off wild and full of promises and slowly scales them back after he suckers enough people in.
do you think it's possible that this is happening because of people abusing it and using it for their cryptocurrency bullshit

abc

I can get 200GB month on low signal 4G mobile phone and price increases. DVD qulity, HD resulotion.

Jefferson

It would be a little ignorant to think that this limitation was not entirely planned. From the very beginning starlink was very aware that people would be exceeding normal usage and that a limit would need to be put in place. And here it is. There should be no surprise.

Jefferson

Quote from: abc on November 07, 2022, 12:07:50I can get 200GB month on low signal 4G mobile phone and price increases. DVD qulity, HD resulotion.

But you can't do that in the middle of the woods. What exactly about StarLink or the limitations of terrestrial data transmission do you not understand?

Laird Popkin

Quote from: Elon Suck on November 06, 2022, 08:46:10This sucks because the policy will outlast the speed issues.

This isn't a data cap, which would mean that after 1 TB people are cut off. Their policy, which is quite common for all ISPs, only applies when the network is congested, meaning that usage exceeds capacity so they have to pick which traffic to not deliver. Either the routers randomly drop traffic that doesn't fit in the pipes, or they have a rule, and pretty much all ISPs have a rule, such as dropping p2p file sharing traffic, or dropping traffic of extremely heavy users, in order for the rest of the users to have reliable service. All networks have some congestion, because every so often a bunch of heavy users are all active at the same time, but usually congestion is local (e.g. users in the same neighborhood fiber loop, or on the same satellite) and is only for a short time (e.g. a few percent of the time). Most importantly, even if you're deprioritized, that's only for the time and location of the congestion - as soon as the congestion clears (e.g. traffic drops down to normal levels, or you switch to another satellite) your traffic is fine. This is all quite routine - the only reason anyone's talking about it is that Tesla is great 'click bait' and people love to get excited about them.

And for context, 1 TB/month is _very_ much outside of the range of normal usage. I had a family of five on fiber, all streaming video like crazy, and we never came close to 1 TB/month. To hit that limit, you're likely running a heavily loaded server, such as using a p2p app running 24/7. And in order to not destroy everyone else's network. So you're talking about well under 1% of users, whose traffic needs to be deprioritized in order to protect the network for the over 99% of users with more normal usage patterns.

NoNameSkeptic

Quote from: NikoB on November 06, 2022, 22:42:51
Quote from: DG on November 06, 2022, 19:13:17This is why people must be allowed to own guns. Authorities and their police are going to be much less keen on subjugating the populace if it can defend itself.
In the US, almost the entire population is armed (there are more guns, including automatic weapons and even machine guns, than the population), the Republicans are almost 100% armed. But this did not prevent the authorities from brazenly trampling all laws and the constitution in 2020 by banning and forcing fake vaccines. Where was the population in arms against frankly insolent officials and local authorities, forcing them to give lethal injections and limit their lives? And how many people died due to heart disease, seizures and depression, how many lives were destroyed? Millions? People are divided and behave like social animals, not like free people, the majority.

Therefore, weapons, as the events of 2020-2021 clearly proved, are a completely useless thing in the hands of stupid and cowardly sheep with a slave mentality. A weapon is just a small component of the success of countering the criminal thoughts of authoritarian and totalitarian authorities in any country in the world. A larger part of the success of resistance is civic courage and courage as responsibility, good outlook, education, critical thinking and common sense, which allow you to behave as efficiently as possible and go for a deliberate confrontation if necessary, and not stick your head in sand.

And how many such people are left in the United States, compared with what it was at least 150-200 years ago? Or in Europe?

I'm afraid the current population of the United States would already be able to build the same America as it once did in the past. They would simply slide into the same totalitarian slavery as in Russia or China.

The process of globalization is destroying nation as states and destroy calls for "patriotism" as the last resort of power rascals.

Today, states represent protectionist zones that by force ensure the advantage of some social groups over others on the entire planet, while the world is essentially turning into one big village without borders and where some group of the population would no longer be able to significantly stand out from others in standard of living without real merit and effort, as it is now.

There is only one way to respond the absolute tin hat foolery that is this post... Ur dumb. Please revisit this crap in a couple years and evaluate it versus what actually happens and then realize you likely need help sorting out the issues that brought you to this place in life. Don't be like the doomsday cultists and Q fanatics that just kick the bucket down the road. Just admit you were duped, that you don't understand how to apply skepticism appropriately and fix the part of you that made it so easy for this crap to pollute your mind. I will revisit it as well to see if I am off base. Seeing as these sentiments in one form or another have been perpetuated since the dawn of rational thought, I'm going to assume these things will not be transpire as such. Get help and be well my friend.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview