News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro Gen 7 laptop review: Ryzen 7 6800H or Ryzen 9 6900HX?

Started by Redaktion, October 29, 2022, 20:56:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo has upgraded the CPU from AMD Zen 3 to Zen 3+ and the 140 W TGP GPU to 150 W for this latest 16-inch refresh. The new model is faster, of course, but let's find out by exactly how much.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Legion-5-Pro-Gen-7-laptop-review-Ryzen-7-6800H-or-Ryzen-9-6900HX.664472.0.html

NikoB

The lack of support for TB4.0 (USB40) against the background of what Legion 7 2022 with AMD USB40 has it and is Lenovo's marketing stupidity, if the author is not mistaken with the conclusions. But this is another secret plus in favor of Intel..

Unfortunately, if believe the reviews of this site for Legion 7 on AMD and Intel and L5Pro on AMD (which was the last hope in spite of the Intel version), only L7 2022 on AMD can be recommended for purchase, because, the Intel version (L7) is also noisy, although it is faster in terms of processor and ram.

Alas, Lenovo did not work on the problems in 2022 with the L5Pro series, and its scourge is still the same - an increased noise level in surfing and office work, where it should not be at all even in the maximum performance profile with an average load of cores in the region no more than 25-30%..

George

I have the same laptop but with 150 W 3070 (not Ti) and 16 GB RAM (82RG machine type). I can confirm that it has USB40.

NikoB

Quote from: George on October 30, 2022, 08:36:59I can confirm that it has USB40.
Did you manage to check the eGPU ability and connect two 4k monitors at the same time, as required by TB4.0?

Mezthecreator

This laptop has USB4, I have this exact model and why the battery here was not so great is the refresh rate was on 165hz while the Asus ROG m16 automatically switches to 60hz once unplugged with bigger battery capacity. They could have used the legion 7 speakers but just want to differenciate them. The performance is great and outshine some RTX 3080ti in other laptops.

ddssavfaX

rtx 30 series is getting a bit long in the tooth now. this laptop is basically a 2021 laptop refreshed.
ryzen 6000 series cpu is barely improved and consumes more power than 5000 series.
Sure, it gets ddr 5 and pcie 4, but i wouldn't bother buying one when next gen 7000 is on the way and more importantly next gen gpus are on the way, both from nvidia/amd with huge improvements.

mystiq

NikoB

Quote from: mystiq on November 17, 2022, 04:01:38the USB4.0 is just on ryzen 6000H series ? both legion 5  pro and legion 7 ?
No, L5Pro for AMD version has no USB40(TB4.0) port (this is purely a marketing ploy to make the L7 series look better in the eyes of the buyer. In the same way, and extremely shameful, Lenovo marketers ordered engineers not to install a 1080p webcam in the L5Pro 2022, although the L7 has one. And the most embarrassing thing is that the lower Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming 2022 series in both 15.6 and 16" versions got a 1080p webcam! It's just beyond understanding how marketers could screw up like that! The Legion 7 HAD to have a 1440p@60Hz webcam, no worse than in top smartphones!And then everything would fall into place.. I would fire those who made such a stupid decision with the Legion 5 Pro..).. Only Intel version L5Pro have TB4.0. L7 have USB40(TB4.0) for both version Intel/AMD.

Andy Turfer

As a Linux user, I'd love to see an option for one of these without the dedicated GPU. I have the L5-gen5, and still love it (running Arch Linux). The biggest problem I have it I can't attach an external monitor without powering on the dedicated GPU.

NikoB

In the next branch, people, on the contrary, complain that their laptops freeze external 4k monitors when connected from the built-in video card, since the speed of the system memory is several times lower than the allocated vram. But this problem disappears when working from a discrete video chip when switching via MUX. Therefore, a video chip of the 3050 level is still needed in any case, or the built-in one must have an independent buffer video memory of the GDDR6x level for 2-4 GB.

I would also like to buy a cheaper Legion version with 6800h/6900HX+32GB (minimum or one 16GB stick from the factory)+GTX3050 and without parrot body lighting (let them add an optical spdif output and a second, spare audio output on the other side for the saved from carved parrot backlight money), but unfortunately, Lenovo does not sell such, and the demand for a current solution for home and office would be huge.

However, Lenovo already sold out almost all copies with AMD 6800H+6700M at a price of around $1700 everywhere. Although many do not need such a powerful and expensive discrete video chip, but the 2022 series itself, many people liked it without taking into account the video part, as a universal working and multimedia laptop...

Replying

I'm skipping this one despite great price (r7-6800h/165hz ips/3070ti/1tb/16gb/pro 1400 (with all imports to my village it will be plus 400usd but still much cheaper then buy from locals)). Will stick with my r7-5800h/3060/165hz/1,5TB/16GB for some more time.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview