News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Liquid cooling box laptop review: Uniwell Technology GM7AG8N runs quieter than expected

Started by Redaktion, October 13, 2022, 21:21:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The external water cooler is able to do most of the heavy lifting even when set to its quietest level. It's clunkier for sure, but it's not necessarily any more cumbersome than an external GPU docking station.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Liquid-cooling-box-laptop-review-Uniwell-Technology-GM7AG8N-runs-quieter-than-expected.660057.0.html

LL

RobertJasiek

How does Uniwell Tongfang with watercooling compare to Schenker XMG 17 Neo M22 with Oasis? What maximum dB values does the latter achieve in different modes? Can Oasis fan speed set to low, too?

SyCoREAPER

Can someone ELI5 why one would watercool a laptop?

A) You might as well just get a desktop, nothing portable about that with the pump.

B) A massive amount of heat could be dissipated by simply using an eGPU (yes you'd still carry a big box but at least there's no liquid to worry about)

I think the whole thing is goofy. The whole problem starts with game developers who are making games more demanding than the average consumer PC.

Laptop, game on lower settings. If you want to max it out get a desktop.

Lucas

Sycoreaper, I have the Schenker laptop with liquid cooling. It works very well with just air. Sometimes I even forget to turn out the liquid cooling. So to travel you just unplug the liquid cooling unit. It's god if you use your laptop 90% of the time at the same desk, for instance.

Aiman

An external water pump is a crazy solution for cooling a gaming laptop. Not only is it clunky with its cables and tubes, but it also makes transporting a huge hassle. It essentially anchors the laptop to the desk and discourages travel even more so than an eGPU docking station.

Quote from: SyCoREAPER on October 14, 2022, 21:54:09Can someone ELI5 why one would watercool a laptop?

A) You might as well just get a desktop, nothing portable about that with the pump.

Couldn't agree more! I don't get it why you should buy an external device which makes a laptop into a desktop.

Quote from: SyCoREAPER on October 14, 2022, 21:54:09Laptop, game on lower settings. If you want to max it out get a desktop.
Unless you want to play in 4K and/or with Ray Tracing, which is even a heavy challenge on high-end desktop GPUs, laptop GPUs are respectably capable. What I dislike is the trend for thinner and thinner designs which makes air cooling harder to dissipate the heat. The 27mm on this model are okay, but I would prefer even a bit thicker chassis over an external (ugly) plastics box all the time.

Emzy

In case anyone is looking at this in 2023 and considering the new models...

Quote from: SyCoREAPER on October 14, 2022, 21:54:09Can someone ELI5 why one would watercool a laptop?

Well, I'd tell a five year old that most of the time you'll be sitting in one place. You're not typically a jet-setter, and the computer is serviceable when you are.

Quote from: SyCoREAPER on October 14, 2022, 21:54:09B) A massive amount of heat could be dissipated by simply using an eGPU (yes you'd still carry a big box but at least there's no liquid to worry about)

eGPU are unusably limited by PCI bandwidth; they are the goofy solution.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview