News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Sony's big bet on open source PS5 M.2 PCIe4 SSDs is paying off against the XBox Series X expansion card

Started by Redaktion, October 07, 2022, 03:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

MasterMimi

if customers are paying more for storage, wouldn't Microsoft be "winning"?

Microsoft does need to allow more companies to produce SSDs, or open up for licensing so prices come down. 

mixedfish

This wasn't my experience. The PCIE4 SSDs were cheaper than Microsoft's storage prices from day 1 for me. Samsung Pro 1tb was $180 the day PS5 launched. Also any laptop that upgraded the SSD, the old SSD can go straight into the PS5 so it could be a free upgrade for many people.

Jake with a K

maybe Microsoft storage cards are more expensive upfront but they are also a lot faster than these so-called PCIe4 for this PS5.
and I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly is possible to use these Microsoft¨Series-storage cards for something else and somebody made a hack, and then it will be an even bigger lead to Microsoft.
Nuff said.
now flip me around, as I'm getting dizzy being upside down.

Lee without the Bruce

Quote from: Jake with a K on October 07, 2022, 07:54:48maybe Microsoft storage cards are more expensive upfront but they are also a lot faster than these so-called PCIe4 for this PS5.
and I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly is possible to use these Microsoft¨Series-storage cards for something else and somebody made a hack, and then it will be an even bigger lead to Microsoft.
Nuff said.
now flip me around, as I'm getting dizzy being upside down.

The Series X/S Expansion SSD are not faster than the PCIe Gen4x4 SSDs required for the PS5. Xbox Expansion SSD are only PCiE Gen4x2 with a max of 2.4 GB/s vs a standard PCIe Gen4x4 SSD with 5.5 GB/s to 7 GB/s. The "minimum" required SSD speed on the PS5 is already double the speed of the Xbox Expansion Card.

I have both consoles, and I find the price MS is charging for a lower spec'd SSD to be outrageous. They are expensive simply because ONLY Seagate makes the cards, unlike standard PCIe4 SSDs made by multiple manufacturers which brings the prices down.

Thorgal

Well, i'm not able to just move my M.2 SSD to another console on the fly. So i'm forced to buy one twice. The modular M.2 SSD for my Xbox i can change from every console to another in seconds and without reformating it and loosing my data. If you look at it this way, it's in the end the cheaper way to have it the way MS decided to do it.

It's like with the controllers. I'm using 2 Aa enelops for my Xbox controller. I'm charging it once a week, whilei need to charge my dualsense at last once in a day. What is here the more comfortable solution? I'm still using enelops from my Xbox One and they still work great. My first PS4 controller died years ago and the one from my PS4 Pro is already dead after 2 hours

Ko

I beg of console gamers to plz know what open source means lmfao 😭 letting users use ssds thatvrent branded for ps5 or sold by Sony isn't "open source". The console is a freaking pic with pc standards on it, it's just that they opted to use the standard itself instead of making a weird connector and ppl started doing what ppl do: try and be smart and save some money wherever possible and of course they can'y say s*** bc like... it's a pc

Cooe

Except they aren't feature identical at all... Microsoft's SSD's allow, neigh ENCOURAGE near instantaneous multiple drive hot-swapping either between multiple consoles or different SSD's on the same console. This is a MASSIVE advantage over having to install the drives internally and is worthy of a small price premium (if it was huge, that would be another story, but it's not).

Allen writes a stupid article on this site with little foresight basically every single day nowadays.... -_-

Andis

Except nor M.2 nor PCIe/NVMe is Open Source. It's industry standard, but it's not an open one. M.2 specification is behind PCI-SIG paywall. Not very open.

Aztolens

Aztolens

Quote from: Cooe on October 07, 2022, 23:33:17Except they aren't feature identical at all... Microsoft's SSD's allow, neigh ENCOURAGE near instantaneous multiple drive hot-swapping either between multiple consoles or different SSD's on the same console. This is a MASSIVE advantage over having to install the drives internally and is worthy of a small price premium (if it was huge, that would be another story, but it's not).

Allen writes a stupid article on this site with little foresight basically every single day nowadays.... -_-

Plus 1.

Ponk

Quote from: mixedfish on October 07, 2022, 07:32:24This wasn't my experience. The PCIE4 SSDs were cheaper than Microsoft's storage prices from day 1 for me. Samsung Pro 1tb was $180 the day PS5 launched. Also any laptop that upgraded the SSD, the old SSD can go straight into the PS5 so it could be a free upgrade for many people.

That's not true in any way shape or form.
Stop smoking crack, it's obviously making you mentally deficient

mixedfish

Quote from: Ponk on October 08, 2022, 03:39:05That's not true in any way shape or form.

I don't need to explain anything that happens in my life to some random like you. I know what I know.

Go take some copium it's obvious you'll need it.

Quote from: Cooe on October 07, 2022, 23:33:17Except they aren't feature identical at all... Microsoft's SSD's allow, neigh ENCOURAGE near instantaneous multiple drive hot-swapping either between multiple consoles or different SSD's on the same console. This is a MASSIVE advantage over having to install the drives internally and is worthy of a small price premium (if it was huge, that would be another story, but it's not).

Right, calling something stupid when you can't even see you're describing something unique to Microsoft's console and OS and not actually got to do with anything on memory type.

Nobody cares about hot swapping physical memory, on the small niche conditions you might how often are you even doing this to warranty continual price premiums? Everyone else simply uses cloud storage to sync their games.

Pedro Orleans-Braganza

I'm a fan of the Xbox memory cards due to them being hot-swappable.

Sony's system is misleading as well, seeing as they aren't really "just an M.2" and you still have to work off of a hardware compatibility list.

Aramere

Quote from: mixedfish on October 08, 2022, 06:38:59
Quote from: Ponk on October 08, 2022, 03:39:05That's not true in any way shape or form.

I don't need to explain anything that happens in my life to some random like you. I know what I know.

Go take some copium it's obvious you'll need it.

Right, calling something stupid when you can't even see you're describing something unique to Microsoft's console and OS and not actually got to do with anything on memory type.

Nobody cares about hot swapping physical memory, on the small niche conditions you might how often are you even doing this to warranty continual price premiums? Everyone else simply uses cloud storage to sync their games.
You are absolutely dumb if you can't see the benefit of being able to hot swap the SSD. Microsoft made the Xbox Series X/S consoles comparable to PC as PC can hotswap drives easily. It takes less time that the PS5. Plus say you visit a friend's house and have a game with local coop you want to play but your friend doesn't have it. You can plug in the small drive and immediately play. The risks of using M.2 NVME storage are pretty high especially if you have kids.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview