News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkBook 16 G4+ review: Good multimedia laptop with a lot of power

Started by Redaktion, September 20, 2022, 19:03:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo is offering a large 16-inch multimedia notebook in the ThinkBook 16 G4+, which is armed with a lot of power thanks to an Intel Core i7-12700H and a dedicated Nvidia GeForce RTX 2050 as well as a good sRGB screen in 16:10 format.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkBook-16-G4-review-Good-multimedia-laptop-with-a-lot-of-power.654289.0.html

NikoB

QuoteLeft: USB-C 3.2 Gen.2 (10 Gbps, DisplayPort ALT mode 1.4, Power Delivery), USB-A 3.2 Gen.1 (5 Gbps), HDMI 2.1, Thunderbolt 4 (40 Gbps , DisplayPort ALT mode 1.4, Power Delivery 3.0), 3.5mm audio
No. HDMI only 2.0 by psref - max 4k@60Hz (without HDR or 30bit mode). 2.1 - 4k@120Hz _with_ HDR.

Ram tuning not good.

QuoteThis big difference to the WLAN test shows once again that the current Alder Lake CPUs do not work particularly efficiently, even under single-core load (i.e. when surfing the internet).

All browsers are multi-threaded. Moreover, even in FireFox, if you select 1 thread forcibly in previous versions, it became useless, it still opens several processes forcibly, which was not the case before. So the cores have been loaded for a long time and tightly all in surfing, and the more of them, the better. In general, it is already impractical to demonstrate noise in the table when consuming 11W, because websites have long been heavy and load cores lightly by 20-30% at least. It is the noise at an average load of 20-30% with a bunch of loaded software (which, by the way, immediately sends this funny children's version with 16GB under the bulldorzer, at least 32GB is required for a long time) and is the most interesting for potential buyers.

Well, about the typical modern meanness from manufacturers about battery consumption from the PSU, the author finally painted everything himself. Do you need this? Well, the completely idiotic long obsolete 2050 is here like a dog's fifth leg. Set it to at least 3050.

Well, again, the 60Hz screen is completely lousy in terms of response. There is a version with 120Hz, so you have to buy it, especially since Lenova promises calibration from the factory with dE < 1.5.

Thus, the version with AMD is interesting only in one single combination - 32GB of memory and a 120Hz panel.

By the way, Amazon sells the Legion 5 Pro with 64GB of memory. The difference from 32GB is exactly $100. Lenovo, management, explain - why are you so greedy and put miserable 16GB in 2022? Minimum 32GB.

Personally, if I would decide to buy this, I would take a better version with an AMD 6800U without a discreet with a 32GB / 120Hz screen. Of course, provided that in the version without a discreet there will also be 2 coolers and heat pipes, as on this one. Then that version will be much, much quieter, and the 6800U speed will be enough with a margin of 3-4 years for sure.

Daniel Luk

Koca

I was expecting this review. Thank you very much! Is there a particular reason why it failed in the latency tests? And did you have any difficulties in installing drivers? Because we will need to install drivers manually...

NikoB

Quote from: Koca on September 21, 2022, 10:22:24Because we will need to install drivers manually...
personally did an absolute test of automatic driver installation through Lenovo Vantage in the W10 Pro earlier. W10 Pro was downloaded from the M$ site and installed as is. Next, the latest version of Lenovo Vantage was downloaded and launched. After completing the installation of the drivers, AS this utility decided, from the Lenovo website, I found a crooked sound (clicks when starting the sound) and found that the Fn + Fx hotkeys DO NOT work! I had to manually download the special. a package about which there is NOT a word from Lenovo in the drivers, but which is forcibly installed as part of the pre-installed version of the OS. But I did not succeed in defeating the clicks at the start of the sound, without reinstalling the system! Apparently in this way they punish those who do not want to pay for OS in collusion with M$.

With exactly the same driver installation (as I used to, and not as Lenovo suggests), all drivers worked fine and the Fn + Fx hotkeys worked. Conclusion - do not be afraid of manual driver installation - it is the only correct one.

My advice is to always turn off all automatic updates tightly and turn off antiviruses (including Windows Defender) - these are 100% trojans in your system. They will not provide you with any help in case of zero-day attacks (unknown viruses), it has been checked, but they significantly waste CPU and memory resources, especially on laptops. Don't let yourself be fooled.

The only thing that should be hardwired to completely block unauthorized activity is the firewall. REMEMBER that Windows Firewall, BY DEFAULT, allows ANY software to access the Internet, ie. sending reports and queries (but not receiving data). IMMEDIATELY block this lawlessness from M$. At the same time, no protection against disabling Windows FireWall is provided and everything is tied to the hope that the control system with UAC will work.

Quote from: Daniel Luk on September 21, 2022, 08:15:39Do they ship this laptop to USA from Germany? Can have them install the OS?
There are a lot of professional intermediaries. Nothing prevents you from buying in the EU or in Thailand/Singapore (where there is also an English layout) and sending it to the USA if for some reason there are no options needed there. The whole world has been buying this way for a long time, those who want to get exactly what they want, and not what the manufacturer decides with regional restrictions. W10 is set in 5 minutes on its own.

Naturally, all warranty risks are on you. But this must be understood from the outset. Alas, the world has never been equal in terms of access to the same level and quality of goods. There has always been inequality, even if a person is able to buy a product at a price in another country. This is hidden, implicit geopolitics...

NikoB

There is a simple rule from professionals - if everything works as you need, do not touch this configuration and do not look for adventures on your a**.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview