News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen 5 7520U, Ryzen 3 7320U and Athlon Gold 7220U Mendocino processors unveiled for entry-level thin and light laptops

Started by Redaktion, September 20, 2022, 15:02:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD has launched finally unveiled its Mendocino series of laptop processors. It consists of three processors, the AMD Ryzen 5 7520U, Ryzen 3 7320U and Athlon Gold 7220U. All three models have a max TDP of 15 Watts and feature a Radeon 610M iGPU.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-5-7520U-Ryzen-3-7320U-and-Athlon-Gold-7220U-Mendocino-processors-unveiled-for-entry-level-thin-and-light-laptops.654149.0.html

Russel

I was under the impression that amd would actually do something good with the new nomenclature...

But this is back to zen+ laptop chip style...

Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3 have no real difference other than clock speeds.
Even in Ryzen 5 2500u and Ryzen 7 2700u, the number of gpu cores was different though the cpu cores were the same.

This is going to be exploited by OEMs... You'll see a price jump of over £150 for a Ryzen 5 over Ryzen 3 while the customer wouldn't actually gain a benefit of £5...

At high end, they Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 options have always been like that in laptop space. But that's the premium segment, for people who want to squeeze out the absolute best performance out of the silicon. And they are willing to pay the price premium, just like the guys who'd buy a Titan...
But doing something like in the mid range and below is gonna hurt the customer..a lot.

Hardware Geek

Assuming the OEMs don't overprice it (although they probably will) this could make for a great inexpensive x86 tablet.

Xajel

While this is future proof, limiting OEMs on this is hard. Thats why a lot of 2022 models stuck with 5000 series instead of 6000 series just because 6000 doesn't support DDR4.

And, We would love to see a AM4 APU with RDNA2 (with the new enhanced AV engine). But it seems that AMD is targeting DDR5 only for all RDNA2 APUs.

lhl

QuoteBut this is back to zen+ laptop chip style...

I think it's fair to argue that the ordering for the chip "class" vs series should be switched, although I suppose AMD marketing would argue that in certain cases, like Barcelo-R vs Rembrandt-R, the Ryzen 7 would outperform the Ryzen 5, but while it'll definitely be confusing for shoppers, at least its a more consistent numbering system (unlike how arbitrary that odd and even numbers would have either Zen2 or Zen3 cores w/ the 5000, which was complete nonsense).

The current lineup as it stands:
  • 7X20 is Mendocino (Zen2 + RDNA2; N6)
  • 7X30 is Barcelo-R (Zen3 + Vega Enhanced; N7)
  • 7X35 is Rembrandt-R (Zen3+ + RDNA2; N6)
  • 7X40 is Phoenix (Zen4 + RDNA3; N4)
  • 7X45 is Dragon Range (Zen4 + RDNA2; N5)

QuoteAnd, We would love to see a AM4 APU with RDNA2 (with the new enhanced AV engine). But it seems that AMD is targeting DDR5 only for all RDNA2 APUs.

My guess is that the RDNA2 APU-blocks were never designed for DDR4. Even the Steam Deck's Van Gogh APU uses LPDDR5. At this point the difference in DDR4/DDR5 pricing is getting a lot lower (about a $7 difference for an 8GB SODIMM according to DRAMeXchange). While it's not nothing, I don't think it's a dealbreaker even at the lower end. BTW, I think the reason why there were so many 5000 series laptops was because there simply wasn't enough 6000 to go around (a couple smaller OEMs saying they couldn't get any allocation for 6000U for example).

Bareback

Quote from: Hardware Geek on September 20, 2022, 23:48:48Assuming the OEMs don't overprice it (although they probably will) this could make for a great inexpensive x86 tablet.
A "hardware geek" who doesn't understand that a table with 10+ watt/hour consumption is non-feasible. Great...

_MT_

Quote from: Bareback on September 21, 2022, 12:51:53A "hardware geek" who doesn't understand that a table with 10+ watt/hour consumption is non-feasible. Great...
You do realize that watt/ hour doesn't make sense? Well, it does, but I doubt it means what you think it does. Watt is joule/ second (that's why 1 Wh = 3.6 kJ). What does joule/ second/ hour look like? It looks like acceleration.

It is feasible as you don't expect a tablet to run at full tilt the whole time. Even much bigger laptops generally last only around an hour in full swing. The 8 W configuration would fit well in a tablet. The real issue is whether you can optimize idle consumption and low power states well enough. That's what makes or breaks a device like a tablet. BIOS, drivers, background processes.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview