News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Huawei MateBook X Pro 2022 laptop review: MacBook Air competitor scores with top IPS display

Started by Redaktion, September 09, 2022, 18:29:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The MateBook X Pro 2022 sports a new case with a larger display, the latest Alder Lake processor from Intel and a wide range of features. The end result is very good, but the ultrabook also comes with a hefty price tag of around 2,199 Euros (~US$ 2199).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-MateBook-X-Pro-2022-laptop-review-MacBook-Air-competitor-scores-with-top-IPS-display.648887.0.html

NikoB

The newly released MateBook X Pro 2022 is yet to arrive in all regions worldwide, so availability may be sparse.
A laptop with a year old processor, already obsolete...although, taking into account the fact that the new Intel series and the new AMD series will still be virtual (paper announcements), a year will also pass before they hit retail as part of laptops. Looking to glass world...
The most important function - autonomy, the model again successfully screwed up. Although those who buy this probably do not care.
Again, I draw attention to the unsuccessful tuning of RAM in bios - the speed is below the norm for DDR5 5200. lpddr5 6400 should be soldered here, and 32GB of memory would probably not hurt. Although if the main task is to write in blogs on a park bench, then it's probably enough for a long time...

Sid

Quote from: NikoB on September 10, 2022, 21:10:30The newly released MateBook X Pro 2022 is yet to arrive in all regions worldwide, so availability may be sparse.
A laptop with a year old processor, already obsolete...although, taking into account the fact that the new Intel series and the new AMD series will still be virtual (paper announcements), a year will also pass before they hit retail as part of laptops. Looking to glass world...
The most important function - autonomy, the model again successfully screwed up. Although those who buy this probably do not care.
Again, I draw attention to the unsuccessful tuning of RAM in bios - the speed is below the norm for DDR5 5200. lpddr5 6400 should be soldered here, and 32GB of memory would probably not hurt. Although if the main task is to write in blogs on a park bench, then it's probably enough for a long time...

Intel 12th generation processors LITERALLY DON'T SUPPORT LPDDR5 6400. The maximum supported MT/frequency is 5200.[1]
Battery life is a common issue with 12th generation - mainly because the OS task scheduler cannot utilize the performance/efficiency cores coherently. This problem is even made worse by the fact that Intel efficiency cores are pretty weak in IPC per watt to Apple Silicon. So Intel is essentially brute-forcing the PL and end up generating a lot of heat. What they need is a fresh design.
For people who don't know - Intel cores are not exactly x86 - they are RISC with a very complex translator/wrapper. Intel is in a situation to completely rewrite their CPU architecture while retaining backward compatibility, yet they choose to push extensions which are power hungry and near useless on a consumer system.
If AMD decides to resume work on K12, Intel will be in a very difficult position, both in enterprise and consumer market.

[1] - intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/226254/intel-core-i71260p-processor-18m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz/specifications.html

Iiari

As a former 2018 Matebook X Pro owner who loved that device and could routinely get 8-10 hours with light internet usage, I've been saddened to watch each year's machine drop in battery life to the point now, it seems, it's noncompetitive with other new laptops or its 2018 ancestor. 

NikoB

Quote from: Iiari on September 12, 2022, 18:11:08As a former 2018 Matebook X Pro owner who loved that device and could routinely get 8-10 hours with light internet usage, I've been saddened to watch each year's machine drop in battery life to the point now, it seems, it's noncompetitive with other new laptops or its 2018 ancestor. 
I have already clearly described the reasons for this phenomenon - the IT industry is at an impasse. Performance growth (especially for Intel) is achieved solely by increasing SoC consumption. Even AMD is bad in this regard. While TSMC is promise 40-60% more power efficiency for the next level of tech-processes, we are seeing the opposite in the IT sector, which clearly shows reality, not virtual promises.

Back in the day, laptops started at 25-35W TDP, and this TDP was clearly supported fully and on battery, for example, in my old Thinkpad. Now the TDP can exceed 65W in PL2 even in the "15W" series, and the number of battery cells has been halved! This means that batteries can no longer deliver such a powerful current as before, when the norm was from 6 cells to 9. Where can you get a powerful current if there are 3-4 cells at best? Hence the squalor of manufacturers when switching to a battery - now laptops, due to the monstrous consumption from the PSU when battery powered, sharply lose performance for SoC and GPU, especially in boost, where the batteries are physically unable to deliver the required 65W+, or even all 100+.

This is a technological dead end. As I have written many times, there is progress in laptops when performance grows without reducing autonomy at full speed of processors (and video cards) on battery power (especially), or even grows with new generations of SoC's. But silicon has outlived its usefulness...

NikoB

When looking at the progress in laptops one should look at the following features - BETTER performance complete with the same battery life as before from exactly the same battery (capacity and weight) as before.

If these conditions are not met, there is no progress in laptops, and marketers lie to you. However, they always lie. They are professional liars.

The situation is approximately the same with stationary PCs - if performance is achieved by increasing consumption - we definitely observe a regression in the IT industry and a lack of fundamental groundwork in scientific research.

Why do we need a personal computer, which over the past 25 years has begun to consume 5 times more per system unit?

NikoB

The entire planet consumes more and more, but this is a dead end leading to the destruction of the planet's ecology and irreplaceable resources. The only chance for the current civilization to break through this eye of a needle is to reach the stars and colonize other star systems. But this is impossible in the next 200-300 years (and this is the most optimistic forecast), especially given the primitive strife between countries, when uniform standards for the quality of life and observance of people's rights are needed in order for new layers of creative scientists to appear, and not beggars and powerless slaves for self-satisfied cynical masters of life...

NikoB

There should be 10 times fewer people, but the quality of education and the level of knowledge, outlook, and mentality of those who remain should be raised 10 times. There is no choice here, because we (humanity) are competing with the most cruel and terrible enemy - Nature, which knows no mercy.

Mark Taylor

QuoteThere should be 10 times fewer people, but the quality of education and the level of knowledge, outlook, and mentality of those who remain should be raised 10 times. There is no choice here, because we (humanity) are competing with the most cruel and terrible enemy - Nature, which knows no mercy.

Yeah, this forum really is the place for such weird considerations. It boggles the mind what things one can ponder just because laptops are inadequate for one's "scientist" needs :)

NikoB

This is because, dear Mark, everything is interconnected in this already musty world. But of course, it's easier for an ordinary layman not to stick his head out of his shoulders. The less you know and think, you sleep better...

Nikos

Just bought it. Some issues I noticed, when I push it on the back I get a clicking sound from the back of the case. Also even though fans are silent, I think they are vibrating a bit more. Anyone had those issues?

Hunter2020

MateBook X is overpriced.  And Huawei keeps on pushing Intel crap.

Somebody should just make a portable monitor out of the same screen and sell for cheap. That way, us folks on a budget can afford the MateBook X experience without spending a pretty penny!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview