News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Tesla able to slash the Model Y price significantly with 4680 battery pack cost savings

Started by Redaktion, September 07, 2022, 11:23:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The battery pack is by and large the most important and expensive single component of an electric vehicle and Tesla may be able to cut the 4680 cell pack costs in the Model Y by half. So far, it has managed to save by better volume utilization but a dry-coating process mastery is on the way, too.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla-able-to-slash-the-Model-Y-price-significantly-with-4680-battery-pack-cost-savings.647715.0.html

Joe

Lol and you think Tesla will actually lower prices? I want whatever your taking. Proof is in the pudding Tesla will keep raising prices keeping it out of reach for the masses. I used to want a Tesla a few years ago had a preorder for a model y and a CT. Canceled both after price increases... Now they are just like any other company,profit first.

Rlopin

Wait times are already 6 to 8 months and climbing. Every lowering of price creates an exponential increase in demand, not a linear increase. So what good would lowering the price do? It would mean wait times of more than a year. No thank you. Tesla needs to keep the prices high until supply catches up with demand.

Chet

Quote from: Joe on September 07, 2022, 21:07:45Lol and you think Tesla will actually lower prices? I want whatever your taking. Proof is in the pudding Tesla will keep raising prices keeping it out of reach for the masses. I used to want a Tesla a few years ago had a preorder for a model y and a CT. Canceled both after price increases... Now they are just like any other company,profit first.

Why did you cancel, your price would be fixed.

Glencho

Buying a tesla is free in todays Biden's world. I have a Y and my gasoline saving pay my car.I used a prius comparison!

Dmun1982

How exactly do you think they will double energy density? The cells are already less efficient when moving to lifepo4 chemistry, changing the form factor does very little.

Capt.Tom

Rory

Quote from: Joe on September 07, 2022, 21:07:45Lol and you think Tesla will actually lower prices? I want whatever your taking. Proof is in the pudding Tesla will keep raising prices keeping it out of reach for the masses. I used to want a Tesla a few years ago had a preorder for a model y and a CT. Canceled both after price increases... Now they are just like any other company,profit first.
Lol if you look past your butt-hurtedness for a minute you would understand that overwhelming demand for existing models combined with global supply chain issues and insane inflation drove price increases across ALL brands and also delayed CT along with the $25k car.

Keeping the prices low would have caused multi-year wait-list for M3 and MY.  So... get over yourself princess.

_MT_

"Not only does it need 5x less cells hence 10x less welding points[...]"
That's some interesting math right there. :D

Brett

Changing the form factor does a lot, lessen the weight of the battery metal can, increases the energy storage ability due to using thicker electrode material. Less heat generated during charging and discharge= longer life.
Can't wait till Tesla crack the lithium sulphur problems which will increase (3-5x) the energy density over the "current" tech.

DukeB

Quote from: Capt.Tom on September 09, 2022, 11:45:04A battery that can't be serviced, repaired or replaced? Dispoable car?
Not on a bet.

I think they mean individual cells can't be serviced. But the entire pack will be able to be replaced cheaper.

DukeB

The price of Tesla cars is determined by supply and demand. The amazing thing that this article fails to understand is Tesla could reduce the price by $20k and still make money on each car. So as soon as they can mass produced millions and supply outstrips demand, they have a lot of room to lower the price and still sell as many as they can produce. Selling at these high prices is great because it makes Tesla stronger and they can invest in new factories which makes them more efficient and will eventually lower the cost to produce even further.

GbShaun

Tesla has a long waiting list of customers. It makes absolute sense to set the price accordingly. Do you think they are a charity or something?
Be thankful for all those 1,000,000+ a year who are buying Teslas at high profit as they are finding the development to make this all possible and that will one day result in a better automobile that's cheaper than its ICE equivalent

Gbshaun

I would share this the writing wasn't so poor.

"Not only does it need 5x less cells hence 10x less welding points"

1) It's not "less" it's "FEWER".

2) How can one get 5x less[fewer]?
1* fewer means you have zero left.
I think you mean 80% fewer.

3) why "hence"? I hope that's not because there are two welds per cell because that does NOT result in "10x less [90% fewer]" welds.
"Hence" is only applicable if the connection is obvious, ..which it isn't.

I'm glad Tesla has better engineers than this publication has writers.

Sasha

Price is a function of supply vs. demand. It has almost nothing to do with the manufacturing cost.

Keep woke economics away from the real world where they fail miserably.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview