News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Yoga 7 14 G7 review: Multimedia convertible shines with AMD Ryzen 7 6800U

Started by Redaktion, September 03, 2022, 11:52:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the new Yoga 7, Lenovo offers an very exciting 14-inch convertible that uses the latest AMD Ryzen 7 6800U. Performance values are very good, but is the rest of the device also up to scratch? Is the Yoga 7 perhaps even better than the Yoga 9i?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-7-14-G7-review-Multimedia-convertible-shines-with-AMD-Ryzen-7-6800U.645586.0.html

Jose Hidalgo

Too bad it's not available in 16" yet. Why should 16" be reserved only to Intel? WTF Lenovo??...
Also, in France the specs are not the same. For example, 1 TB SSD can't be selected.

NikoB

Again absolutely disgusting tuning of LPDDR5 6400, extremely low data transfer rate for this standard in dual-channel mode (еhis is a strong impact on iGPU(max impact in 2D external monitors in 4k+ and 3d) gpu performance and software like Photoshop). I also want to note that the motherboard is not vibration/impact-resistant, which is clearly visible in the photo (even the cheap Huawei D16 ver.2022 has a board reinforced with port mounts, although without a metall mounting chassis for it as thinkpad series). In fact, this series is a toy that is not even close to the Thinkpad T+ in terms of durability, it not a laptop for frequent travel with it. At the same time, the model will get with its noisy even in an average office load and heavy surfing, if the coolers turn on periodically, and do not spin monotonously at the same speed...

Well, I pay attention to the fact that OLED is a shameful with a native contrast of only 7000: 1 (instead of the "endless" contrast or typical 100,000: 1+ for OLED without dimming schemes promised, but it flicker and increases fatigue.
Unlike ASUS, which at least a with decrease in the dynamic range due to dimming schemes, it was possible to allegedly eliminate flickering with a parallel sharp drop in the native contrast by orders of magnitude, Lenovo engineers could not achieve any of the goals.
The super contrast and zero level of black (only in complete darkness, of course) destroyed, but the flicker is still not eliminated. What is the meaning of such a panel is ��not clear to me. Or OLED super contrast or lack of flickering with low contrast. Or so or so.

I also note that the resolution of the OLED screen, which is clearly visible in the macrophoto, is clearly lower than the stated if the IPS panel with the same declared resolution was installed. Well, the fact that glossy panel adds problems of use in difficult environment with many light sources on the side and in back - all glare for you...

Again, I draw attention to the fact that nothing prevented the developers from installing a compact (folding) version of RJ45/(2.5Gbps+) on the left. It would be worth a penny, bring the port from SoC. All the same, use is comfortable only with an external monitor and a keyboard. But then why do you need an unstable Wi-Fi, instead of a stable cable connection, if it is in the place of use?

RobertJasiek

Quote from: NikoB on September 03, 2022, 13:31:06Again absolutely disgusting tuning of LPDDR5 6400, extremely low data transfer rate for this standard in dual-channel mode

Please explain how we can understand this from the benchmark data!

q

this review is lacking info about temperatures on CPU (and GPU since its integrated) and the level of throttling. One fan only and not that much heatpipes is worrysome

kamarul

Did you enable Rapid Charge (in Lenovo Vantage > Device > Power) before testing the feature?

Still waiting for a 16:10 17" Lenovo in the LG Gram form factor, with Ryzen inside :(

LL

Reflective screen kills it. What is the point of a mobile laptop that can't be used outside?

NikoB

Quote from: RobertJasiek on September 03, 2022, 14:04:45
Quote from: NikoB on September 03, 2022, 13:31:06Again absolutely disgusting tuning of LPDDR5 6400, extremely low data transfer rate for this standard in dual-channel mode
Please explain how we can understand this from the benchmark data!
This is clearly seen from the reviews of laptops with the same memory pumping in the region of 67-68Gb/s. Here everything is very bad, according to the tests.

NikoB

Quote from: RobertJasiek on September 03, 2022, 14:04:45Please explain how we can understand this from the benchmark data!
See newest review  Dell XPS 13 Plus 9320 (notebookcheck.net/All-three-Dell-XPS-13-Plus-9320-SKUs-in-review-Core-i5-1240P-i7-1260P-or-i7-1280P-OLED.644466.0.html)
What do you see there, Robert? Memory is MUCH slower in characteristics than in this yoga - only lpddr5 5200 in Dell XPS! And what do we both see in practice? It smashes lpddr5 6400 in Yoga to smithereens. Lenovo engineers disgraced themselves to the fullest... =)

Dorby

This is probably my favorite laptop in a long while.

- tablet capability
- real HDR screen
- GPU that can handle HDR playback (12th-gen iGPU cannot do this)
- big battery
- portable size & weight
- no cutback on I/O ports
- usable webcam and mic
- big glass touchpad
- good speakers (sounds good to me)
- The keyboard is average but I can live with that, given how excellent the overall quality is

Pretty much what I wanted my 2015 "infinity-edge" Dell XPS 13 to be in 2022, if Dell hadn't dropped the ball.

LL

- GPU that can handle 4K source video playback (12th Gen i7 Iris XE cannot do this)

That is incorrect , it is the 12th Quicksink video that can handle all HEVC versions due to hardware decoding that the AMD do not have,

Dorby

Quote from: LL on September 05, 2022, 05:52:11- GPU that can handle 4K source video playback (12th Gen i7 Iris XE cannot do this)

That is incorrect , it is the 12th Quicksink video that can handle all HEVC versions due to hardware decoding that the AMD do not have,
To be specific I am talking about real time tone-mapping of HDR10 source files. AMD 680M, Apple M2, and Nvidia GPUs can all do this while Intel Iris XE cannot. Also you are incorrect, Radeon iGPU does support both native H265 and AV1 decoding.

You could technically watch a high-bitrate HDR video on an Intel iGPU laptop, but the result would be either very choppy framerates or poor quality mapping.

LL

"Radeon iGPU does support both native H265 and AV1 decoding."

It does not, it can't decode H.265 10bit chroma 4:2:2 neither Nvidias do, but Intel can . I have experience but if you doubt, go to Puget website and search for page with H.265 capabilities.
Several cameras and even smarthphones are outputting that chroma.

You want to deal with video editing you go Intel preferably 12th generation, but 11th also could do that.

NikoB

Quote from: Dorby on September 04, 2022, 21:36:32- real HDR screen
You lie. Static HDR reqired maximum 0.005 nit black level and native (ansi) contrast from 100000:1. "OLED" screen in this laptop only 7000:1.

Forget about HDR support. At the same time, Lenovo did not declare support for Dynamic HDR (HDR10 +) or Dolby Vision (DV) versions (as, for example, in Legion 5 Pro with IPS matrices), but only these versions can work with matrices with low contrast and high black levels. Lenovo engineers were completely embarrassed with the screen of this Yoga, as I already wrote - neither you have a contrast of 1000000: 1, nor the absence of flicker (as in Asus versions with low contrast, but without OLED flicker)

Quote from: LL on September 05, 2022, 05:52:11GPU that can handle 4K source video playback (12th Gen i7 Iris XE cannot do this)
You are talking technical nonsense. Even i5 2018 shows smoothly 4k@60Hz in HDR mode without any problems with conversion via MADVR to Rec.709 from Rec.2020 on the fly.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview