News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

2023 Tesla Model 3 with longer range and cheaper price may use M3P batteries

Started by Redaktion, August 18, 2022, 13:26:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After CATL revealed that the Model Y will be the first Tesla electric vehicle to have its upgraded lithium phosphate M3P battery installed, it seems that the 2023 Model 3 will be next. CATL's M3P units offer 10% longer range for a price similar or lower than the current LFP packs in the Model 3.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/2023-Tesla-Model-3-with-longer-range-and-cheaper-price-may-use-M3P-batteries.641266.0.html

anan

Didn't the LFP batteries have less capacity than NCM batteries? But they made up for the difference in price and longevity. So the newer M3P battery seems to reach the capacity of the NCM batteries. But what about the longevity? You can stretch LFP life to 10k cycles if you charge between 40% and 60%. As it is the most expensive component of an EV - I would take a battery with longer lifespan than one with 10% more range.

Arun

Lfp batteries should not be charged between 40 and 60. This will lead to reduction in voltage and indeed kilowatt of battery pack. Lfp must be charged to 100 percent more oftentimes

Nihim

Quote from: Arun on August 20, 2022, 05:22:10Lfp batteries should not be charged between 40 and 60. This will lead to reduction in voltage and indeed kilowatt of battery pack. Lfp must be charged to 100 percent more oftentimes

I've been doing a fair bit of research recently on LFP charging profiles, and every study I've seen seems to disagree with this.

TLDR: it's actually best to avoid the bottom and top percentage of charge, i.e. staying within 10%-90%. Generally, the more time spent closer to the 50% mark the better for cell aging, but outside of the polar extremes it doesn't matter much. Higher temperatures >45 celsius are also very bad for cell life.

I think what is misleading you is that, due to the very flat voltage profile over most of an LFP battery's capacity, it's more difficult for battery management system to accurately judge battery state-of-charge (SoC) and account for things like cell aging without more frequently doing full charge cycles to maintain an accurate voltage to capacity lookup table.

Chemistry wise, LFP is more resilient than other lithium chemistries, but is, similarily, still damaged the most from the extreme low and extreme high SoCs (particularily the high state of charge like most similar chemistries).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview