News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Zen 4 "Raphael" CPUs reportedly launching well ahead of Intel's 13th gen "Raptor Lake" chips and taking the efficiency crown

Started by Redaktion, July 25, 2022, 17:01:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

As we move closer to the launch of Intel's 13th gen "Raptor Lake" and AMD Zen 4 "Raphael" CPUs, new leaks keep on surfacing. This time leaker Tom of Moore's Law is Dead has divulged some important details about the release date of Intel Raptor Lake and AMD Zen 4.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Zen-4-Raphael-CPUs-reportedly-launching-well-ahead-of-Intel-s-13th-gen-Raptor-Lake-chips-and-taking-the-efficiency-crown.636519.0.html

NikoB

Intel officially announced 12th Gen Intel Core CPUs on October 27, 2021...but what do we see after 9 months (women give birth during this period) - there are practically no laptops with the U/P series from Intel on the shelves and no AMD laptops with 6600U/6800U at all (цшер new Zen3 + cores, which were publicly announced by AMD in early November 2021, one week after Intel).

For example, let's take the HP G9 455 on 6600U/6800U... - out of stock after 9 months (despite the fact that the AMD G8 series was the only one on the planet in the 15.6" class available to the public with a huge delay, and nothing else at all)! remember. It feels like all the factories of the world's main chipmakers have not been working for these same 9 months. And after all, earlier Intel saved up at least tens of millions of processors and already supplied such batches to laptop manufacturers. Where did all your factories go, Intel? AMD, okay - purely a paper company wholly dependent on TSMC, on which it is a second-class client after Apple/Qualcomm, and now Intel, which still cannot do anything at 7nm....

Keep it up! Keep releasing paper virtual processors, "new" lines. You can announce at least once a month. Give us 3nm processors in September! And what? Just think, let's wait 3 years, just like with DisplayPort 2.0 chips...

Apparently, a memorial service can be declared for the IT industry of the planet. R.I.P.

Shunpiker

While availability is certainly limited, the AMD 6800U systems are available for purchase. I ordered a Lenovo Z13 from their website in the US and received it within one week. Fantastic system with OLED screen, USB4 ports and fast DDR5 memory.

NikoB

Quote from: Shunpiker on July 25, 2022, 23:23:59While availability is certainly limited, the AMD 6800U systems are available for purchase. I ordered a Lenovo Z13 from their website in the US and received it within one week. Fantastic system with OLED screen, USB4 ports and fast DDR5 memory.
12-14" models are considered by me as toys and not as truly working instrument. You can normally work on them only with an external keyboard and monitor and nothing else. It is impossible to effectively do something on them and blindly type (i do) text, and a small screen is a guaranteed damage to vision or a guaranteed lack of a" working area view" on the screen due to the need to turn on unnecessary scaling of the text due to the too small screen. In the "tablet" mode, it is even more impossible to work effectively on it. That is, it is essentially a portable portable system unit and nothing more. the diagonal on which you can still do something effectively starts from 15.6 "with a full-fledged keyboard (although there are no full-fledged ones even on Thinkpad now - the Fx row is deliberately narrowed (as numpad keys), excluding normal blind use by a professional who constantly changes to a full-fledged desktop keyboard). For the most part, what is there (at 12-14") as a screen and keyboard does not make any practical sense for discussion.

But, in addition, today, the OLED screen has a lower resolution than IPS, glare due to the always glossy surface and low-frequency PWM (typically terrible 50-250Hz depending on the brightness level), which harms the eyes and especially the autonomic nervous system (and if there is some kind of "improvement" aka "dc-dimmng", which allows the manufacturer to slightly increase the PWM frequency, then forget about "infinite contrast" (the only powerful advantage of OLED over xVA / IPS today) and real black in the dark, and nothing in the light of OLED not better than IPS, but even worse, because with a light background, it loses in brightness and / or resource in hours very much).

In the working and mainstream class 15.6 "+ (15.6-17.3"), you can only read about the presence of business models on Zen3 + in reviews, but they are nowhere to be found, especially sane models. The same thing began with Intel in 2022 with the "paper", i.e. virtual Alder Lake. Reviews are being made, but buying in Europe and America 15.6 with 1255U/1260P/1280P (the rest is rubbish and uninteresting) is unrealistic - out of stock, it's enough to give an example with the same notorious HP Gx line. What's on Alder Lake, what's on Zen3+ is out of stock everywhere. And they are usually the first among large manufacturers to get access to new batches of processors from both Intel and AMD. In 2021, it was HP that was the only one in the world to sell the G8 455/855 with Zen3 (with a full keyboard and 2 memory slots, which is critical for full-fledged work on a laptop offline and the ability to increase memory up to 32/64GB - which is critical when working with virtual machines for professionals), but even it became available in retail only more than six months after the release of Zen3 in November 2021. Is this normal? Yes, and these lines are frankly unimportant in terms of performance, in fact, there is only one shadow left from Zen3 there ...

It is clearly seen that despite the bravura claims that the IT industry has recovered since 2020, in reality, the deficit is only growing. At the same time, due to the fault of central banks and the banking mafia, stagflation is advancing on the world, which further raises prices for electronics. It is not surprising that sales of laptops have fallen by almost 20% year on year (and it will be possible more) - consumers around the world are trying to get SoCs out of date for almost a year in laptops, and even at sharply increased prices. There are fewer and fewer people who want to buy it, and those who remain forced to do business, lay all these costs into their services or goods. So galloping inflation, through the fault of populist politicians and the banking mafia, which has entangled the entire planet like an octopus, takes root all over the world like a cancerous tumor...

The world and technology are clearly going somewhere wrong (acting more and more for the needs of consumerism, and not for the effectiveness of civilization in confrontation with nature, which is inexorably ruthless to those who decide that they can violate the laws of the universe with impunity) and all this is gradually driving civilization into existential trap.

NikoB

Well, with USB4, you, as the owner of a laptop with AMD, automatically lose the key function of TB3.0-4.0 - the eGPU feature. You cannot connect an external powerful video card through a riser, because AMD laptops today simply do not implement this. But the owner of the Intel version can easily turn his business laptop even into a powerful gaming system with the same GTX3090Ti, and in the future with the 5090, if necessary. What the owners of AMD iron are completely deprived of today, in fact.

Maybe you personally don't need this, but every consumer must know about this difference in order to make the right choice of platform, taking into account the life of the laptop. I personally have an average life of more than 5 years. My last laptop was purchased in 2019 and my 2018 laptop is eGPU ready.

I personally wait until finally this shameful industry is born with the typical Display Port 2.0, which will mark a new milestone in the IT industry, because. for the first time in history, it allows you to connect an 8k monitor (alas, with a frequency of no more than 60-75Hz) with one physical link. 8k matrices have been produced since about 2014, but there was nothing to connect them in everyday life. And the DP2.0 standard was released already 3 years ago, which has never happened before in history, so that it was so delayed with the introduction of a new standard in hardware. That is why I have stopped buying laptops since 2020. I do not see radical improvements in the lines of any vendor, except for Lenovo with L5Pro (but there are a lot of jambs there too - the main one is a noisy cooling system in office workload and surfing due to the fault of the developers)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview