News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple M2 removes Intel Core i9-12950HX as PassMark's laptop CPU single-thread champion but trails behind Alder Lake-P in multithread benchmarking

Started by Redaktion, July 20, 2022, 23:27:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Apple M2 SoC has scored another benchmark victory by topping PassMark's current laptop CPU chart for single-thread performance. The M2 actually removed none other than the impressively powerful Intel Core i9-12950HX from the top; however, the Apple silicon couldn't outscore chips like the i7-1260P and i7-1280P in multithread testing.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-M2-removes-Intel-Core-i9-12950HX-as-PassMark-s-laptop-CPU-single-thread-champion-but-trails-behind-Alder-Lake-P-in-multithread-benchmarking.635933.0.html

Jan Onderwater

Very likely later this year the M2 pro and max will come out, and beginning of next year the Ultra, or whatever Apple is gonna call them. very likely produced on 3NM process. Pat Gelsinger is not sleeping well.

Joel Pichette

Totally missing the point : power consumption of the chip and whole system for the workload.

I have a 10 years old dual xeon (2x 6 cores 12 threads, total 24 threads) and it requires almost 200 watts to idle and 500 watts to process my google queries in firefox web browser.

That's where the apple chips shine the best.

Scott Wilson

'Tis easy to claim performance victories when not considering wattage.  Comparing Apple silicon to i7 chips, Apple silicon consumes roughly 50% less wattage with only a 25% performance reduction.  When comparing Apple silicon against other chips, it is important to contrast performance gains against wattage increases.

Put another way, base model Apple silicon is designed for light laptop users who prioritize long battery life over hardcore performance.  IMO, light users are far more typical than users who focus on gaming and/or photo/video editing.  Because of this, I think Apple should be lauded for prioritizing performance per watt in their base model chips.  While still allowing for extremely robust performance in their higher-end chip models.

Jszon

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview