News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Intel Core i7-12800HX is insane: MSI Raider GE67 HX 12UGS laptop review

Started by Redaktion, July 14, 2022, 00:25:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The 110 W Core i7-12800HX CPU isn't pulling any punches. Power consumption is certainly high, but the gains are well worth it especially for the target audience of enthusiasts and performance hunters.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Intel-Core-i7-12800HX-is-insane-MSI-Raider-GE67-HX-12UGS-laptop-review.632780.0.html

DetroitBound71

"However, small demands like web browsing or video streaming will induce a fan noise in the audible 30 to 34 dB(A) range no matter the profile setting."

The 5900HX in my Asus is capable of doing these mundane tasks without the use of its fans while having acceptable cpu package temps when set to its silent profile. Seems odd that a system with so much thermal mass can't do that when set to its most power efficient profile. Are the Alder Lake chips just that warm? I know the Intel chip is leaps and bounds more performative but I was hoping their E-cores would make them much more tame under light loads.

Another one

Another article praising Intel from this author.

Just imagine how much excitement this author will throw in his review, if Intel comes out with a desktop PC and a monitor, glued on a table with wheels, connected with a UPS, using an Intel 240W CPU. It will be the best LAPTOP for enthusiasts ever!!!

All praise Intel.

NikoB

Very slow memory speed for DDR5 4800 (70Gb+ is typical for that).
480Hz PWM and allegedly infinite contrast by review? The reviewer is clearly misleading buyers. The higher the PWM frequency on AMOLED = the lower the native contrast. This is an axiom. No 1,000,000:1 or even 100,000:1 can be achieved with PWM above 300Hz on current versions of AMOLED panels without dc dimming (NR is lower with it feature).

Performance in Ray-Trace 64 in AIDA64 is very  poor, losing vs. old TigerLake-H 11800h and 5800h.

Well, to top it off, the resolution of the AMOLED panel is sharply lower than stated in comparison with the same IPS panel. The only way to somehow compensate for this is to put a 3k-4k panel instead of fhd compared to fhd IPS. But IPS already exists with 4k@120Hz and a response of less than 6ms, i.e. completely replaying all AMOLED panels in practice on key things:
1. Does not flicker, and this is the main thing.
2. The real resolution exactly matches the declared one.
3. The backlight resource is 2 times higher - 15k hours versus 7-8k on all AMOLEDs.

If a person plays, then this panel will probably suit him, although the real resolution in games will be 1.5 times lower than the declared one (see subpixel structure), and black is not completely black. But if a person also uses it for work/surfing (and more often than playing), then there is undoubted harm to the eyes and nervous system. Plus low panel resolution vs same IPS. And it will burn out quickly. In less than 3-3.5 years...

The higher the ppi of the panel, the closer the quality of text and graphics to the quality of printing on a laser printer. Everyone needs it. Therefore, the fhd panel for today is actually for the poor. Really decent panels today start at 4k@120Hz IPS 1200:1+, although those are still rare.

NikoB

And of course, I forgot to mention that all AMOLEDs are with glaring glossy panels. Unlike matte and "anti-glare" IPS.

Let me remind you once again that all buyers should remember one drawback of AMD models that is unpleasant today - they do not have TB3.0-4.0 ports with eGPU support, which all ports certified by Intel as TB3/4 must comply with without fail (but buyers should strictly check eGPU feature TB ports with the manufacturer of the laptop or motherboard, anything can happen ....).

From the point of view of autonomy, it is quite obvious that Intel laptop variants are outperformed by AMD platforms with the same battery. This can be seen in all reviews and even in the official declarations of manufacturers (see new legion 7 series from Lenovо - 6900HX vs 12900, for example with 99.9Wh battery).

Today, it turns out, there is no universal solution in laptops, where the buyer certainly gets all the features of both platforms. Or one or the other, no way together ...

When will IT finally show the world microLED panels with high-frequency PWM and extremely low response, and in a matte finish, starting from 4k?

Two key things that IPS clearly loses in (if you forget about PWM and glare on AMOLED) are viewing angles (although there are rare high-quality IPS with 178/178) and low black levels. In principle, a native (ANSI) contrast ratio of 2000:1 is enough for everyday life so that the black level does not cause strong complaints, but alas, this is only achievable on VA panels, which are not installed in laptops due to high energy consumption. But the latter have two nasty features - color shift and black crush (the second one is rather a plus when reading black text on a white background, because it only enhances the contrast in the text).

Meanwhile, somewhere in the laboratories, experiments with VR glasses and 8k panels are going on. And somewhere in the beautiful distance looms the probability of projecting a high-quality picture, indistinguishable from reality, directly into the brain. And what will happen to humanity then? Such VR will become a public drug for the majority - why a harsh and bloody reality, where are you a pawn in someone's pitiless game, when there is a beautiful virtual reality of wonderful worlds?

Andrew Morris

There's a typo in the display specifications section. It's a 2560 X 1440P 188 PPI AMOLED.

Did y'all test the color gamut with optimus enabled and disabled? There's no way this display only covers 72% of the DCI-P3 gamut as the saturation levels changed dramatically for me with optimus enabled using the sRGB preset under MSI True Color and changing it to I wanna say Adobe mode but it doesn't look like you had that option so it may have been Movie mode made a dramatic difference in the color saturation levels. There's something funky going on with optimus enabled and disabled.

LWT

Are you sure about the display measurements?

Razer is boasting that it covers the entire DCI-P3 gamut.
In-fact, just looked at the MSI US store listing and they are too.

Something seems wrong here.

Ubelai

There are a few discrepancies in the article relative to display this unit actually has, as mentioned above.

It also seems as though some details, such as that of the touchpad, are not verbose as to get a definitive understanding of the experience.

Overboost

A lot of triggered AMD fansboys around here. AMD mobile cpus are pretty s***, get over it. Ya, battery life is better, great, I'm not buying the best gaming laptops regarding performance and worrying about an extra 45min battery life.

BoBear

Quotecrisp QHD OLED with smooth 240 Hz refresh rate

Quote15.60 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel 141 PPI, Samsung ATNA562P02-0, OLED

Is it QHD or not?

rebelstar

Any users with PWM sensitivity? Do you have any migraine? One thing stops me from ordering this laptop is that I don't know how my eyes will react to it. And after I can't return it back because it will be delivered to me by my friend from another country when he comes back. Author says 480hz is okay but... 🙄
Also how come that the same OLED screen used in Blade 15 doesn't have PWM and GE67 HX does?

Galixte

In your test you forgot to mention the fact that the internal OLED screen is natively QHD (2560 x 1440 pixels, indicated wrongly FHD 1920 x 1080 px), and it's also certified VESA DisplayHDR True Black 600.

To activate this feature it's necessary to switch to the mode: "Discrete graphics mode" via the option "GPU switch" available in the category "General settings" from the application "MSI Center".

Capture d'écran 2022-08-28 021209.png
GPU Switch mode options page in MSI Center APP.

Capture d'écran 2022-08-28 022049.png
60 Hz (Deep colors 10 bits) or 240 Hz (8 bits) are available.

Galixte

Quote from: DetroitBound71 on July 14, 2022, 03:45:53"However, small demands like web browsing or video streaming will induce a fan noise in the audible 30 to 34 dB(A) range no matter the profile setting."

The 5900HX in my Asus is capable of doing these mundane tasks without the use of its fans while having acceptable cpu package temps when set to its silent profile. Seems odd that a system with so much thermal mass can't do that when set to its most power efficient profile. Are the Alder Lake chips just that warm? I know the Intel chip is leaps and bounds more performative but I was hoping their E-cores would make them much more tame under light loads.

I didn't encounter any noise issue during Web browsing & streamings sessions with my MSI Raider GE67HX 12UGS-052XFR.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview