News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple M2 smashes its way to i9-12900 levels in astonishing PassMark single-thread performance but barely matches an i3-12300 in average CPU Mark

Started by Redaktion, July 12, 2022, 15:28:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The first samples of the Apple M2 have made their way onto the PassMark website, where the new Apple silicon has been lumped into the desktop CPU class. The M2 raced to an incredible score in the single-thread performance chart, smashing its way through a whole block of Alder Lake chips. But it was left a little wanting in the multiple test suite.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-M2-smashes-its-way-to-i9-12900-levels-in-astonishing-PassMark-single-thread-performance-but-barely-matches-an-i3-12300-in-average-CPU-Mark.634504.0.html

PolCPP

Uhhh actually this looks terrible.

9% more extra of single thread performance in exchange of 30% more power consumption?

M1CantDoFloatMath

Mark M.

This is completely ridiculous!  The fact that this article even "sugar coats" and "praises" how ridiculously over priced and under powered the M2 processor is! 

The Core i9-12900 completely crushes the Apple M2, and no one using a Mac will even be taken seriously.

The article should be discussing multi core performance and also discussing GPU performance instead of silly single thread and trying to pretend that the M2 doesn't suck.  The M2 gets beaten by $199 and $299 Walmart laptops and it's ridiculous what Apple is charging for the M2!  Look at that ridiculous extremely poor multithreaded performance and overall performance!  Under powered and Bad GPU cores and Apple is getting crushed by Alder Lake and AMD Ryzen 6000 series.

Clebio

NateHiggers

Quote from: Mark M. on July 13, 2022, 18:16:10This is completely ridiculous!  The fact that this article even "sugar coats" and "praises" how ridiculously over priced and under powered the M2 processor is! 

The Core i9-12900 completely crushes the Apple M2, and no one using a Mac will even be taken seriously.

The article should be discussing multi core performance and also discussing GPU performance instead of silly single thread and trying to pretend that the M2 doesn't suck.  The M2 gets beaten by $199 and $299 Walmart laptops and it's ridiculous what Apple is charging for the M2!  Look at that ridiculous extremely poor multithreaded performance and overall performance!  Under powered and Bad GPU cores and Apple is getting crushed by Alder Lake and AMD Ryzen 6000 series.

Says the guy who sees one benchmark and uses this as his whole arguement.

Bill Henley

I'm a lifelong Windows, Unix and Linux user. Being forced into a medical retirement from a lifetime of automotive powertrain electronics as well as a musician, I decided to go down a new path as my home studio was ready for an upgrade. As 90% of all professional recording studios use Apple based equipment I decided on a 16 inch M1 pro Max and have been anything but disappointed. Single or Multi Thread doesn't come into play in the very demanding music environment so it's an absolute "Don't care" issue to me. The Laptop performs as if I'd just  come out of the stone ages and entered Metropolis. It runs dead quiet which is of pinnacle importance in music production.

For decades Microsoft has ignored the music industry's needs even though the Intel X86 Platform is definately capable of managing such. So my question is what specifically do you do that's so heavily multi-core dependant as it totally eludes me?

Eric

I9 is a high power desktop chip...jeepers.  compare to Intel laptop CPU (with good integrated gpu) which doesn't require a fan...which one is that???

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview