News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus Zenbook S 13 OLED laptop review: Subnotebook impresses with fast AMD Ryzen 7 6800U

Started by Redaktion, July 07, 2022, 18:10:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Asus' new Zenbook S 13 is an extremely compact notebook weighing just over 1 kg that does not cut back on a whole lot of performance thanks to the new AMD Ryzen 7 6800U. The OLED screen ensures good image quality that is free of PWM thanks to a software solution.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zenbook-S-13-OLED-laptop-review-Subnotebook-impresses-with-fast-AMD-Ryzen-7-6800U.633487.0.html

NikoB

It's kind of a shame, Asus! The contrast is only 16000:1, not at least 100000:1 (or as they often promise on OLED 1000000:1) and at the same time 240Hz PWM. How did you manage to slap something like this - there is no real black color and at the same time the screen is harmful to the eyes! It would be better if it was 5000:1 (which is still cooler than even VA with glossy) and with DC Dimming without low-frequency PWM... Although it is unlikely that someone will sit at a 13.3" undersize for more than 15-20 minutes, rather connect an external monitor, but still ...

Again, it is modestly silent about the fact that the resource (brightness drop by 2 times) on AMOLED screens is at least 2 times worse than that of IPS (7-8k hours vs. 15k). I don't know how it all looks in the modern world of consumerism, but my laptops usually work for at least 12k hours (on the screen) and, accordingly, a laptop with AMOLED will quickly require its replacement, because. or the brightness will drop or there will be a strong color imbalance.

I am writing this to the fact that manufacturers, obviously not giving a damn about people's health, apparently intend to soon install these damned AMOLED panels in all laptops (and always with a vile gloss, not matte - all your glare). And soon it will become almost impossible to buy a laptop (and then apparently a monitor :=( ) with IPS/VA in practice, as now it is almost impossible to buy a smartphone with a good flicker-free IPS panel and the necessary set of characteristics (hello Xiaomi! And to hell with Samsung and Apple ), such, for example,  as video recording at 4k@60fps+OIS.

Lorry

This looks like one of the best ultrabooks of 2022 so far, after Lenovo Yoga 7 14 (Gen7 AMD).

I'm surprised Asus didn't make this Ryzen version into a 2-in-1 convertible with new MPP stylus and 120Hz refresh rate like their other laptops.

_MT_

Quote from: NikoB on July 07, 2022, 23:04:21Although it is unlikely that someone will sit at a 13.3" undersize for more than 15-20 minutes, rather connect an external monitor, but still ...
When travelling, you might sit in front of it for hours. That's the point of such small machines - easy to carry and can be used in cramped quarters like on trains and aeroplanes.

_MT_

I have already seen the PCIe tunnelling work. It required beta drivers/ BIOS but it did work. A pleasant surprise given AMD's lack of clarity over what exactly are they going to support. Also, while PCIe tunnelling is optional in the USB4 specification, it seems that Microsoft demands it as part of their testing. They argue that people will expect it to work which is probably true. Which might explain why there are no USB4 ports on these newest machines. AMD wasn't ready and without it, they wouldn't pass and couldn't claim to be compatible with Windows 11. So instead, they downgrade the ports to USB 3.2 which has no such requirement.

pR

Quote from: Lorry on July 08, 2022, 08:17:25This looks like one of the best ultrabooks of 2022 so far, after Lenovo Yoga 7 14 (Gen7 AMD).
Best in the countries where they are available. I'm in a EU country that doesn't have them – so what's the point? But I know Apple will be available in a week or two, so that's how you sometimes have to make a decision

Jam65

Wonderful piece of hardware!

I agree with the ones asking for a IPS or non glossy alternative due to the high outdoor reflection problem.

Any info on the expected release date?

Thanks

Lorry

Quote from: pR on July 08, 2022, 13:47:48Best in the countries where they are available. I'm in a EU country that doesn't have them – so what's the point? But I know Apple will be available in a week or two, so that's how you sometimes have to make a decision
Lenovo Yoga 7 14 with same display, battery size and CPU is only available in the EU. Asus ZenBook 14 UM3402 was also first released in Europe in March.

https://geizhals.eu/asus-zenbook-14-oled-um3402ya-km067w-jade-black-90nb0w95-m005n0-a2709398.html

_MT_

Quote from: Lorry on July 09, 2022, 06:49:45Lenovo Yoga 7 14 with same display, battery size and CPU is only available in the EU. Asus ZenBook 14 UM3402 was also first released in Europe in March.
It's not that simple. E.g. many German stores refuse to ship outside of Germany.

Lorry

Quote from: _MT_ on July 09, 2022, 09:56:24It's not that simple. E.g. many German stores refuse to ship outside of Germany.
That is where package forwarding and many other import services come in. Lots of good products are exclusive to certain region or heavily price discriminated to control the supply and demand. They're all available. You just have to learn how get around these corrupt retail barriers set in place.

pR

Quote from: Lorry on July 09, 2022, 10:54:07That is where package forwarding and many other import services come in. Lots of good products are exclusive to certain region or heavily price discriminated to control the supply and demand. They're all available. You just have to learn how get around these corrupt retail barriers set in place.
It's still not that simple. You can't reduce VAT if you buy as a company. And what's even worse – from Germany you will get laptop with DE keyboard layout. No, thank you. I know that in EU the only way to get EN layout in Microsoft devices is only when buying from Poland and Netherlands.

JamesV2

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview