News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review: The hotel and WLAN hurdles of the Apple TV with HomePod Mini on the road

Started by Redaktion, June 15, 2022, 15:46:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the latest updates, Apple has finally made both its media player Apple TV and the HomePod Mini suitable for traveling. However, Notebookcheck.com had to visit several hotels until the interaction of Apple and WLAN with Captive Portal worked. Apple was not always to blame.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-The-hotel-and-WLAN-hurdles-of-the-Apple-TV-with-HomePod-Mini-on-the-road.625669.0.html

_MT_

Well, standards evolve. The 29 W charger is probably just too old (and non-compliant to boot). I guess it uses PD 1.0. Back then, they didn't have the four standardized voltages (5, 9, 15, 20). Instead, they had power profiles. Which were largely ignored as far as I know. Which is why I wrote it's non-compliant. I don't think there is a 29 W power profile in the PD 1.0. Which is (probably) exactly why they dropped the concept - nobody used it, perhaps because it wasn't flexible enough. If it was a PD 2.0 charger, it would support 15 V and it would probably be 30 W instead of 29 (2 A @ 15 V for nice round numbers). And yes, it should then support 9 V (and you should always check that it can supply enough current at that voltage). PD 2.0 is compatible with PD 3.0. But beware PD PPS. If you use a non-PPS charger, it might charge slower than expected. Welcome to the wonderful world of USB!

_MT_

So, even if Apple's charger was fully compliant with PD 1.0, it wouldn't be able to do what you want as there was no 9 V support in the PD 1.0. They used 5, 12 and 20. The closest profile is probably 36 W (3 A @ 12 V). Tough luck.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview