News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen 7 6800U Efficiency Review - Zen3+ beats Intel Alder Lake

Started by Redaktion, May 31, 2022, 19:09:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We had to wait quite a while but we finally got our hands on AMD's latest mobile processors from the Ryzen 6000U generation. We compare the Zen3+ cores of the new Ryzen 7 6800U with Intel's current Alder Lake-P platform as well as Apple's M1 Pro SoCs. Who builds the best chip for compact laptops?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-7-6800U-Efficiency-Review-Zen3-beats-Intel-Alder-Lake.623763.0.html

Rav4

This is bogus.. everyone knows last 5% perf takes 20-30% more power. Power efficiency tests should be done when we have tests doing exactly same work... the faster processor will idle faster and save battery... notebook check needs to send their author to some computer science 101 class

Pleiades

Quote from: Barebooh on May 31, 2022, 20:12:03
Absolutely f**k-ugly unit. Taiwanese skip art classes like Hitler. Ridiculous chip (needs MOAR CORES!!!!1!) ... Scorching wattage. "the power of sun, in the palm of my hand...
somebody please tell me what the hell is going on!

What's going on is you're an imbecile LOL  ;D

Dylan

Who is the genius that decided to compare P (Performance) segment laptops to U (Ultramobile) in efficiency tests? In completely different types of laptops. And then you just brush aside the performance differences to focus on efficiency, despite there being a 20% performance difference between the 6800u and 1260p in ST.

No wonder why notebookcheck is no longer a trusted source and has been replaced by other outlets.

SayQuantum1MoreTime

to Rav4
I'm not sure why maximum performance is relevant in an efficiency comparison, especially since most of the processors mentioned found its way into small notebooks for which efficiency is important. How is that relevant?
It is specified which benchmarks are used and whether they run natively.
Efficiency can be specified as the energy used per output. In this statement, time is not a present unit at all.
Example: car: 5 liters/100 km; Sports car: 10 litres/100 km
Your argument: the sports car is there faster, so it consumes less.
Please actually read the article.

Lorry

Another fantastic article.

"Intel's hybrid architecture with the 10 nm cores is not really suited for very compact systems"

Biggest reason why I can't honestly recommend Intel 12th Gen P-series laptops to anyone - terrible battery life and arbitrary fan noise, just look at Yoga 9i 14. For some reason, unlike on performance laptops OEMs refuse to put cTDP tweaking and fan control software into ultrabooks.

"AMD Ryzen 6000U chips are the best mobile processors for Windows laptops right now"

Problem is 6800U starts at ~$1300 with Asus (ZenBook S) and goes up to $2000+ in premium models from Lenovo (Thinkpad) and HP (EliteBook). Most people won't find that price justifiable when other U-series laptops usually start at $600 price point.

Dorby

Quote from: SayQuantum1MoreTime on June 01, 2022, 01:07:57
to Rav4
I'm not sure why maximum performance is relevant in an efficiency comparison, especially since most of the processors mentioned found its way into small notebooks for which efficiency is important. How is that relevant?
It is specified which benchmarks are used and whether they run natively.
Efficiency can be specified as the energy used per output. In this statement, time is not a present unit at all.
Example: car: 5 liters/100 km; Sports car: 10 litres/100 km
Your argument: the sports car is there faster, so it consumes less.
Please actually read the article.
It's important because someone looking into 6800U is probably a type of person who needs to perform heavy multi-threaded CPU work for long period of time on battery power. When unplugged, chips eventually throttle during sustained load. So measuring how much maximum horsepower the chips can output at a gradually lower wattage than advertised TDP is most relevant to potential consumers.

NikoB

The main problem is that the AMD completely failed the supply of chips in 2021. There were practically no laptops from 5600U/5800U in grade 15.6 (and this is the mainstream of sales). It is enough to introduce 5600U/5800U in Google and you will not find a single ponocent model (with a full -sized keyboard) except HP Probook for all 2021. In fact, AMD in 2021 deceived the expectations of consumers around the world. On the shelves for 1 laptop with Zen3, there were generally 10 models with Intel. It is not clear to me which idiots buy the AMD shares and support their price overplined once every 5. After all, in reality, almost the entire market of mobile chips control Intel and almost all the profit of the world has...

Zrat

Quote from: Dylan on June 01, 2022, 00:17:17
Who is the genius that decided to compare P (Performance) segment laptops to U (Ultramobile) in efficiency tests? In completely different types of laptops. And then you just brush aside the performance differences to focus on efficiency, despite there being a 20% performance difference between the 6800u and 1260p in ST.

No wonder why notebookcheck is no longer a trusted source and has been replaced by other outlets.

Because this is how Intel is selling itsP series in a way?

Almost ALL ultrabooks that used to be equipped with 11th Intel U series have switched to the P series this year. It's also the fault of Intel who marketed the P series as a 28W TDP processor when in reality this processor can only express itself at higher wattage.

The 11th gen U was marketed at 15-28W and a lot of ultrabooks were having the 1165 or 1185 configured at 25-28W so the P series was on paper a good successor.

NikoB

2Zrat:
Most people will still be forced to buy laptops with Intel, for the reasons I have voiced below. AMD does not have its own factories, and TSMC is not available for them in volumes comparable to Intel - they are "second-class people" there compared to Apple, Qualcomm/Mediatek, and now, since 2022 and Intel. All of them are in the first stage for conveyors. AMD, on the other hand, gets what remains of the industry's majors. AMD cannot get out of  narrow lot without own factories and the highest priority on those of others. That is why its prospects are deplorable, and the value of shares is overestimated at times. What has become definitively clear since 2021.

The technological advantage becomes overwhelming when it is possible to supply such chips indefinitely. These are the harsh realities of the real world.

kek

I, for once, want to say that I'm impressed with Apple's numbers. It's day and night of difference.
It's pretty sad they are keeping it locked to their systems.

As for AMD vs Intel, I will just only say that the achilles heel in Intel's cpu is that turbo boost thing: it clocks as high as it can while generating a lot of heat and consuming a lot of energy. At least in my 1185G7, things have been better since I turned it off. Sure, there must have been some performance lost, but I havent noticed, and I prefer to run on stock clocks rather than boosting for everything while on Windows.

I dont know if AMD has an equivalent to this or how do they manage it, but Intel seriously needs to keep that thing in check. It brings more negatives than positives, in laptops at least.

_MT_

Quote from: Rav4 on May 31, 2022, 20:45:50
Power efficiency tests should be done when we have tests doing exactly same work... the faster processor will idle faster and save battery...
While the basic premise is true -- it is the reason why it doesn't pay to be too slow, it's better to get the job done faster and idle longer as idle allows you to shut things down to minimize leakage -- Turbo Boost is beyond diminishing returns. Meaning, the energy you save during idle will never compensate for the extra energy needed to sustain boost. If you're after efficiency, it's best to avoid boost altogether.

_MT_

Quote from: Rav4 on May 31, 2022, 20:45:50
Power efficiency tests should be done when we have tests doing exactly same work... the faster processor will idle faster and save battery...
The biggest fallacy in these articles is the treatment of efficiency as if it's a single number. No, it's a function. You can attain a range of efficiencies and there are trade-offs to be made. The Whisper mode illustrates this rather nicely.

_MT_

The single-threaded section could practically be called worst-case efficiency as the processor is in a "all-you-can-eat buffet mode," it's not even trying to be efficient.

Jose

Hi any chance you could set the 1260p to 28w and do the comparison that way? (I have this processor and do it through trottlestop). Would be an interesting comparison, since the 1265u is not avaible yet .

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview