News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MediaTek announces Filogic 380 and Filogic 880 Wi-Fi 7 platforms, feels Wi-Fi 7 can truly replace wired Ethernet

Started by Redaktion, May 23, 2022, 14:39:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

MediaTek is demonstrating its Wi-Fi 7 platform comprised of the Filogic 380 and Filogic 880 chipsets at Computex 2022. The Filogic 380 is a client Wi-Fi 7 chip that supports up to 5 Gbps speeds per channel, 4096-QAM, 320 MHz channel, and other Wi-Fi 7 technologies. The Filogic 880 is a Wi-Fi 7 access point solution with its own quad-core Cortex-A73 CPU and dedicated NPU that can scale up to 36 Gbps throughput.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MediaTek-announces-Filogic-380-and-Filogic-880-Wi-Fi-7-platforms-feels-Wi-Fi-7-can-truly-replace-wired-Ethernet.621658.0.html

Ssgsdhgzzfhczxvvvc

mediatek is stepping up their game lately. dimensity 9000 and 8100 are fantastic chips. these wifi chips looks enticing also.

_MT_

A "true replacement" where exactly? It won't displace cables in datacentres, that's for sure. And where is a Wi-Fi router going to get a connection to the Internet? Probably not though Wi-Fi. Yes, it's probably enough for a home network as long as its latency is good enough for you.

I like wired Ethernet. It just works, a quality cable will handle much more than I will ever need in most cases, it doesn't needlessly add interference or congestion, you won't intercept it from afar and devices need a cable for power anyway which can be provided via PoE.

vertigo

On top of what _MT_ said, the other reason wireless is a far way from completely replacing wired, if that will ever happen, is stability. It doesn't matter how fast it is, if the signal isn't 100% stable, as it is with a cable, and if the antennae aren't well done on portable devices, it's not going to provide a stable enough connection. My laptop has WiFi 6, I have it connected to an enterprise-grade AC AP with plenty of speed (800/1733 Mbps) that's literally a few feet away on the other side of a wall, yet I have constant issues with the speed going up and down and with latency. I tried two other APs and a USB WiFi adapter in the laptop, and no matter what, I had these issues. In a previous setup, with an enterprise-grade wireless router that has very good range, I wasn't able to stream videos from my desktop to a tablet a couple rooms and about 25' away. Wired is just far superior, period, and while wireless is getting better, it's no replacement.

_MT_

Quote from: vertigo on May 23, 2022, 19:42:34
the other reason wireless is a far way from completely replacing wired, if that will ever happen, is stability... In a previous setup, with an enterprise-grade wireless router that has very good range, I wasn't able to stream videos from my desktop to a tablet a couple rooms and about 25' away.
Broadly speaking, I would put that under latency (it's not just about the average), more specifically jitter and downright packet loss. Walls were always a challenge. I recall Wi-Fi tests PC Magazine did with fondness where they used an office environment with walls and everything. In practice, very important. Arguably more important than peak bandwidth that you get in direct line of sight at a distance of a couple metres. A good wireless network requires multiple APs unless it's a trivial case like a tiny, open plan apartment. An ideal scenario is having dedicated APs in every room you want to cover which sit on a fast wired network. Wireless might be good enough as the "last leg," but wired is simply superior as a backbone. I don't care for meshes with repeaters outside of makeshift solutions that work around the lack of proper cabling.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview