News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Core i5 beats Core i7: Alder Lake-P creates problems for manufacturers and customers

Started by Redaktion, May 20, 2022, 17:20:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We reviewed a few new Alder Lake-P CPUs from Intel over the last two weeks and our concerns are supported by the test results. The power consumption is very high, which is a challenge for the cooling solutions. It is also a problem for customers, because a Core i5 can be more powerful than a Core i7 and there can be massive performance differences in general.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Core-i5-beats-Core-i7-Alder-Lake-P-creates-problems-for-manufacturers-and-customers.621251.0.html

Dorby

"Customers do not get any indication of the performance when they buy a new laptop"

This is the most important sentence in the whole article. No indication of battery life either.

LL

So the mess with Nvidias now reach this Intels.

To tell the truth it was already apparent in other AMD and Intel models, just not so big differences.

Logoffon

This inefficiency shenanigans seems to be an increasingly common trend for companies that are not named AMD or Apple.

Roger B

Notebookcheck continues to show its bias'. And why the heck are you guys even using Cinebench R15, the version is from 2013, and has been replaced not once, but twice by R20 and R23.

Watzupken

The results are not surprising. Intel has been pushing the power limit just so that it allows their CPU to boost to a higher clock speed. It just shows that Intel likely made a lot of compromises so that they can get their 10nm out the door. I feel Alder Lake is suited for either desktop or laptops with beefy cooling. In slim laptops, the CPU can only sustain its boost clock for a short period of time, which means if you are running a sustained load, performance is going to tank once it hits the thermal threshold.

daw

Quote from: Dorby on May 20, 2022, 18:20:13
"Customers do not get any indication of the performance when they buy a new laptop"

This is the most important sentence in the whole article. No indication of battery life either.

Personally, I don't really care.  To me, laptops are suited for travel and typical office work, but shouldn't ever be regarded as a proper PC.  So when I buy laptops, I look at the general feature set and price and I'm never terribly disappointed.  My desktop gets much more thought put into it.

Flips 712

If you were buying a 13-14" Thinkpad X, Carbon X, or Yoga model, what specific chips from Intel and AMD are recommended to avoid thermal throttling and will allow a 3 monitor setup? I'm a non-tech remote worker trying to be an educated buyer.  Thanks

Jimothy

this goes back at least as far as 8th gen in my experience and also 11th gen

the i5 mobile chips in lenovo laptops (with terrible cooling systems designed by toddlers) run cooler and faster than the i7 chips because i7 turbo is much more aggressive, and throttling happens almost immediately. Single core the i7 11th gen scores slightly faster than i5, but multi the i5 beats the i7 by a ridiculous 20%

For those commenting that they should have used cinebench r20 or r23 - you're right... but I can also tell you that in my testing the trend continues when doing the test in r23!

many other reviewers have noted this over the years... just search youtube

Jofii

Hi
I look to pay Dell laptop touch screen 15" or up . Under 1200$
Can i get some help please?
Thanks

Drew

Looking at Lenovo's new T14s line with either an i7-1270 or i7-1280 but this article seems to say that it's not worth it and go with cheaper i5 chip -- really? 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview