News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

First AMD Ryzen 7 6800U benchmarks: Minor multi-core gains over Core i7-1260P, Radeon 680M impresses in synthetics but lags in gaming

Started by Redaktion, May 19, 2022, 17:33:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We have with us the first benchmarks of AMD's latest Ryzen 6800U APU from an Asus ZenBook S 13 OLED laptop. We see that the Ryzen 6800U offers decent improvements in multi-core over a Ryzen 7 5800U but loses out to the Core i7-1260P in single-core. The biggest advantage, however, is with the Radeon 680M iGPU that can ably compete with the likes of a GTX 1650 Max-Q in some tests, though it might require some upscaling impetus in gaming.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/First-AMD-Ryzen-7-6800U-benchmarks-Minor-multi-core-gains-over-Core-i7-1260P-Radeon-680M-impresses-in-synthetics-but-lags-in-gaming.620875.0.html

Lorry

Finally, a decent evaluation drawn from analysis that compares the right things and measures the relevant factors. Thank you.

vertigo

Two things to keep in mind here. The first, as mentioned in the article, is that this is being accomplished at a much lower wattage than Alder Lake, so if battery life is important, AMD, as usual, is going to give much better performance per watt based on these results. The second is that this is a single sample, so nobody should be drawing any conclusions yet, and we need to wait for other computers to be released and tested, and possibly for drivers to mature a bit, before fulling judging them. After all, Intel chips have struggled to impress, especially with the iGPUs, when initially released only to improve after some fine-tuning. TGL was like this.

Rob Stan

Quote from: Lorry on May 19, 2022, 18:21:40
Finally, a decent evaluation drawn from analysis that compares the right things and measures the relevant factors. Thank you.

Decent early review (the data itself), but I'm not really sure about "compares the right things", going by the most important criteria, the power rating (advertised and real world) Rembrandt-U (15W+) isn't really meant to be compared to Alder Lake-P (28+), but Alder Lake-U (such as i7-1260U, 15W+). The P series are more like competitors for AMD's HS series (35W+)

That being said I know partly why they compared these, it's likely because there are no Alder Lake-U chips out yet to compare against (they have really anemic specs TBH).

Same story with Alderi Lake-H (45W+), AMD hasn't yet released Rembrandt-HX parts (45W+), hence you only see reviewers compare them against AMD's 6000HS (35W+). IDK if we'll see 6980HS or 6980HX too soon, but 6900HX laptops should be out any week now.

These mismatches are pretty understandable, but they're also somewhat misleading and I don't see too many reviewers point this out/make this distinction to watchers/readers.

Anyway, glad to see Ryzen 6000U chips finally out.

Anonymousgg

More benchmarks needed, maybe more updates from AMD. But it looks like Rembrandt will be the first APU to deliver a competent 1080p60 experience, which can be perfected by Phoenix or Strix Point.

Another big change from Cezanne is the I/O support which is significantly better. PCIe 4.0 in particular is nice to have, especially when these reach the desktop.

Anonymousgg

Quote from: Rob Stan on May 19, 2022, 22:29:28
Decent early review (the data itself), but I'm not really sure about "compares the right things", going by the most important criteria, the power rating (advertised and real world) Rembrandt-U (15W+) isn't really meant to be compared to Alder Lake-P (28+), but Alder Lake-U (such as i7-1260U, 15W+). The P series are more like competitors for AMD's HS series (35W+)

I was just rereading some earlier articles, and I think this is useful to note:

anandtech.com/show/17276/amd-ryzen-9-6900hs-rembrandt-benchmark-zen3-plus-scaling

Quote15W vs 28W

Overall, we're getting to a point in the laptop space where the vendors are now competing against each other on actual power consumption. Historically we would talk about U-series mobile processors at 15-28 watts, and then H-series at 45-65+ watts. In 2022, Intel has introduced P-series at 28 watts instead, and both companies are stating that due to improvements in design, the chassis that used to fit a 15-watt processor can now enable a 28-watt version.

As a result, we're seeing some really awkward comparisons if you go by official numbers. Both AMD and Intel are comparing last-generation 15-watt solutions to current-generation 28-watt solutions, or comparing 28 watt systems today against equivalent designs that housed other processors before. Be careful when reading those first-party data points. That being said, both companies also want to exhibit their notebook processors at their best, so we end up with the higher-powered H series anyway in some nice chonky designs. It won't be until reviewers can get their hands on the regular, run-of-the-mill U/P series hardware that they'll be able test like-for-like in the same way.

Lorry

Yes I know Rob, but this is much needed progress as far as NBC articles go. He at least mentioned the H35 Ryzen chips unlike some other writers here.

Dorby

For me, the most important part is battery life. I don't need long hours, just want enough to get me through my day.

ultrabookreview.com/55569-asus-zenbook-14-review-2022/

According to this source, a P-series laptop draws 15 Watts browsing. This means, most of popular 2022 ultrabook lineups that chose Intel P/H-series will see less than 5 hours runtime as the battery is way smaller than the laptop in this review.

e.g.
- Lenovo Thinkpad X1, T series
- Lenovo Ideapad / Yoga 7, 9
- Asus ZenBook X, Flip
- Asus VivoBook S
- Dell XPS 13
- Acer Swift

Long battery life is the No.1 reason why people purchase Ultrabook over Performance Laptop. Since the 12th Gen P-series completely negates this point in pursuit of raw performance nobody will actually use to full potential, it is a terrible buy.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: Rob Stan on May 19, 2022, 22:29:28

IDK if we'll see 6980HS or 6980HX too soon, but 6900HX laptops should be out any week now.

We have published a Razer Blade 14 with a 6900HX review recently. Two more Asus reviews with a 6900HX are on the way. :)

RobertJasiek

Ryzen 6000:

- Announced in January 2022.
- First review samples in May 2022.
- First availability somewhere in the world in July 2022?
- General availability around October or November 2022?

Ryzen 7000 Desktop:

- Available in summer 2022?

Ryzen 7000 Mobile:

- Available in summer 2022 or autumn 2023...?!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview