News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 13 Plus with i7-1280P thrashes Apple MacBook Pro 13 with M1 in unfair comparison of premium 13-inch laptops

Started by Redaktion, April 30, 2022, 21:57:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A video review of the new Dell XPS 13 Plus laptop has revealed how much more performance can be expected over the previous-generation XPS 13 and the Apple MacBook Pro 13 from 2020. Pitting the Intel Core i7-1280P against the M1 SoC is clearly an unfair fight, but it is interesting to see Dell take notes from Apple's playbook.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-Plus-with-i7-1280P-thrashes-Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-with-M1-in-unfair-comparison-of-premium-13-inch-laptops.616566.0.html

hhhhhhh

and how is it the reviewer fault that apple in 2022 offers 13" with an 2020 CPU? this arrticle is sad.

Captain Woof

I agree, the comparison is by no means unfair, and the title is click-baity, which is not something I expect from Notebookcheck.
The fact that Dell manages to cram a 28w chip into a chassis that usually only permits 10w is impressive to say the least, and it is not Dell's fault that Apple hasn't updated their model line up. What would be nicer to see is if the comparison would be at an equal-cost if bought today.

Ramsey

It's unfair in the sense that they are not in the same product category.

The XPS 13 Plus is much more in competition with the M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14".

The apple's is even cheaper, starting in 1100.

Intel's processor peaks in 54W.

Haha

Upset apple fanboy, stick to the comments section in YouTube kiddo, tech journalism is not your calling

Eric

I didn't really expect to read about an Intel CPU besting Apple M series CPUs so this article caught my attention. Comparing a brand new Dell to to a 1st gen Apple is fairly BS, but I still have a couple of questions:

1. What do other benchmarks show ? I have no idea how representative Cinebench is to other tasks and workflows.

2. Is the Cinebench benchmark affected by components other than the CPU ?

3. What is the power/benchmark-unit comparison. At least for me, in a notebook computer the power consumption per performance is easily as important as the CPU by itself. If it wasn't, then the Apple CPU could simply be cranked up to a higher frequency.

Eric

Quote from: hhhhhhh on April 30, 2022, 23:34:24
and how is it the reviewer fault that apple in 2022 offers 13" with an 2020 CPU?

Apple also offers faster notebooks ... that were not used for the comparison.

LL

Cinebench is a real life benchmark for rendering by CPU. It represents the former render of Cinema 4D. It is also a bench that do not pushes memory.

It is getting obsolete because now most renders are done by GPU: Blender Cycles, Cinema 4D Redshift (also for other applications), Vray GPU etc., Unreal.

But unfortunately the reviewers are very slow to notice what is going on in the world around them, i am looking at you Notebookcheck!

Eric

Quote from: Ramsey on May 01, 2022, 00:40:23

I found the M1 Max Cinebench r23 benchmark running in a 60 watt Thermal envelope in a notebook: 14970

So Apple has an offering that soundly trounces Dell performance-wise, but with two trade-offs:
1. Price
2. Perhaps an inferior display since the Dell is OLED

xTOMx

It's unfair in the sense that they are not in the same product category.

The apple's is even cheaper, starting in 1100.

Umm would you mind telling me where I can buy the 14 inch MacBook Pro for 1100?

xTOMx

Quote from: Eric on May 01, 2022, 02:58:00
Quote from: hhhhhhh on April 30, 2022, 23:34:24
and how is it the reviewer fault that apple in 2022 offers 13" with an 2020 CPU?

Apple also offers faster notebooks ... that were not used for the comparison.

And don't forget, almost double the price. The most expensive xps 13 plus is only slightly more expensive than the base 14 inch MacBook pro

xTOMx

Quote from: Eric on May 01, 2022, 03:11:08

I found the M1 Max Cinebench r23 benchmark running in a 60 watt Thermal envelope in a notebook: 14970

So Apple has an offering that soundly trounces Dell performance-wise, but with two trade-offs:
1. Price
2. Perhaps an inferior display since the Dell is OLED

Yep the MacBook is almost twice as expensive, so it belongs to a completely different category. Though the Mini-led display in the MacBook is likely gonna be better choice for most people since it is so much brighter and you don't have to worry about burn-in

Jawad

Benchmarking is one thing and real life user experience is another. I hated Apple Macbook but after I used it it just flies man. Never going back to intel as M1 is many times more faster for me. You can only know if you use it for daily work. No benchmark can prove a real-life scenario.

johnnie

This is rubbish.  I'm expecting more from NBC.  Perhaps you should do the benchmarking yourself against Macbook Pro 14 inch and write an article about it.

I've watched the YT clip.  Dave is correct in his assessment, this is a comparison between 13 inch laptop vs another 13 inch laptop.  Not his fault if Apple hasn't released an updated MBP 13" yet in 2022.  However, the double processing power than XPS13 in a similar form factor is encouraging, and good for customers.  More competition, more innovation, everyone benefits.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview