News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

ThinkPad P1 Gen 5: Lenovo updates its thin & light workstation rather quietly to Alder Lake H

Started by Redaktion, April 27, 2022, 21:54:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Lenovo ThinkPad P1 G5 has been announced without a big show. Considering the scope of the update, a more opulent announcement probably was not necessary. since the new model is basically the P1 G4 with updated internals.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-P1-Gen-5-Lenovo-updates-its-thin-light-workstation-rather-quietly-to-Alder-Lake-H.616002.0.html

Anona

Dsiu

I am very glad I bought the G4. Battery life is better on the G4 but it also has AVX512, which I find important for my workload.

Joe

Gary Smith

Quote from: Dsiu on April 28, 2022, 13:14:03I am very glad I bought the G4. Battery life is better on the G4 but it also has AVX512, which I find important for my workload.

As I'm sitting here researching new laptops, I came across your comment and I'm curious about your usage of AVX512 on a laptop.

My understanding of AVX512 is that it's really geared more towards server workloads with some optimizations for AI and machine learning... and that it's also quite power hungry and can generate enough excess heat (especially in the context of a mobile CPU) that the system is forced heavily throttle the CPU to prevent it from cooking it's self.

so, what are doing on a laptop that actually utilizes the instruction set?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview