News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Ditch Office 365: 3 free Microsoft office alternatives for Windows, Linux and macOS

Started by Redaktion, April 20, 2022, 04:08:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Microsoft offers two flavours of its infamous Office software: Microsoft 365 for US$69.99 per year or US$149.99 for a perpetual licence. If neither of those options sound ideal, you're not alone in thinking that. Fortunately, there is a whole host of free, open-source alternatives to choose from.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Ditch-Office-365-3-free-Microsoft-office-alternatives-for-Windows-Linux-and-macOS.614520.0.html

DAVID JOHNSON

A site that regularly reviews $1K phones and $2K laptops is whining about $70 a year for software? That's pretty rich.

Jab

Onlyoffice is amazing and it is better than Libre Office for opening microsoft files. Though Libre is more feature rich. There really is no real need to buy MS Office today.

Joe Black

Quote from: DAVID JOHNSON on April 20, 2022, 08:32:46
A site that regularly reviews $1K phones and $2K laptops is whining about $70 a year for software? That's pretty rich.
When there are better alternatives than paid software, I see no issue with bringing attention to them

Pooh Sheisty

Never switching to a subscription based Word processor solely on principle. Completely unacceptable that I am leeched for money to write a document or an occasional presentations

a

People really need to stop citing OpenOffice. OpenOffice was abandoned by most of its developers when it got bought out by Apache, and they all moved to LibreOffice.OpenOffice is basically abandonware. LibreOffice is where the open source community is at, and that is why it sees the most development.

L

Seems like the author forgot about the best alternative which is the ms office suite in a standalone version. It can be bought on a sale quite often.

Vikram S

A rusty article on a well-worn topic.
First, Office 365 is NOT expensive if you get the Home License. 5 devices x 5 people= 25 devices for little more than $80 per year. That's dirt cheap.
Second- OpenOffice, Libreoffice and OnlyOffice are flaky in terms of cross-compatibility with Office formats, and are functionality is flaky at best.
The best alternative to Office 365 is Google Docs/ Workspace. One can directly edit Office format files, functionality is evolving must faster than even Office 365 and the Help is as good as that of Apple's. Its free, of course.

Christian Glahn

Completely ditched WPS office. It's an easy to use and compatible productivity program that I have used and recommended for friends and family who did not want or did not want to pay for MS office. It is a great alternative.

MartinSE

Hi,

QuoteCompletely ditched WPS office
yes I've to agree to that plus there is only a very brief mentioning of the google online suite.

QuoteFirst, Office 365 is NOT expensive
Depends on the perspective as $80 can be already two weeks of groceries. But especially with the 1TB (6TB) cloud space it's definitely a good deal.

RobertJasiek

I use OpenOffice because it works. When I last tried LibreOffice, it failed for my needs. I might check again some time but currently have no need to switch.

julian.vdm

Quote from: Pratyush on April 20, 2022, 20:02:40
Why WPS office did not make this list?!

I tried to focus on open-source options in this one. I haven't had the need to use WPS on windows, but I did quite like the Android app.

John Davis

I don't know why the article doesn't mention Pages, Numbers and Keynote. These are Mac only, but they get the job done and are free. And they are much, much easier to use than MS Office or the imitations. And they link seamlessly with iPhones and iPads.

Joan Tilston

Libre Office might be a good alternative if you didn't have to install all of the programs in it and there was an Android version included. I use a paid for suite (SoftMaker Office) but it does only cost £2.49 a month. I didn't need Access so it's perfect for my needs

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview