News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Windows 11 taskbar downgrade and 3 other ways Microsoft is making its ubiquitous OS worse

Started by Redaktion, April 19, 2022, 03:53:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Microsoft poised Windows 11 as a huge upgrade to Windows 10, claiming increased performance and improved security. This is partially true, especially if you are using an Intel Alder Lake CPU, but the launch of Windows 11 was marred by substantial amounts of negative user feedback and concerns about some decisions that Microsoft implemented in the update.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-11-taskbar-downgrade-and-3-other-ways-Microsoft-is-making-its-ubiquitous-OS-worse.614368.0.html

kek

They kill "Legacy compatibility" and they can kiss Windows market share good-bye.

Yes, not everyone uses old software, but knowing Microsoft, getting rid of legacy stuff will break something else that will affect new programs, and it will be a pain in the a** to fix.

dpj

These are the same whiny complaints that have been around for 6 months. This really seems like a user forum post.  I expect better from NB Ck. Maybe dive into some of the security changes in Windows 11?

Complaint #4 has some validity, but it's easy enough to just use your Gmail account as your Microsoft account, so it's not a big deal.

Anonym

#1 is a silly complaint and a really bad way to start the discussion. Don't like security and the advantages that TPM brings for today's world, then don't use W11 -- it's that simple. Microsoft wants a more secure OS, you clearly want something else, move on!

#2 is not any better. All major OSes that have been out for more than a decade suffer from this (e.g., macOS, Android, iOS). No need to reinvent the wheel, it already works! All they need is little incremental updates that make the system more usable and up-to-date.

#3 and #4 are very legitimate complaints, but you already wasted all attention and credit by headlining with #1 and #2. Sounds like your real complaints were the silly stuff, and the legitimate ones are just a "by the way".

No bueno

Puppy

I always use Microsoft Account, as it is convenient to share data and settings between devices, but you can install Windows 11 (Pro) without it.

What I can't stand is #3. The Start menu looks like a dumb Android screen, that looks like a Palm OS home screen 25 years ago. No progress at all. I don't want such terrible feature downgrade on my PC. Windows 10 Start menu was perfect and I really like the live tile idea.

LL

All very valid complaints
1. TPM is a control device. Irrelevant.
2. Indeed, lots to improve in Windows interface like easy accessibility to folder inside folders in relevant windows interface. We still navigate windows like if it was in year 2000. Ridiculous.
3. The dumbing down is real and is part of strategy to end diversity of thought.
4. Is the same as 1 and 3 : control(including information)

Windows is not any more the tool for all people, it is increasingly the tool for just some people.

Sparky

It seems that Microsoft still has some managers/executives who thought Windows 8 provided a good user experience.
Windows 11 leadership also recently stated, essentially, that it would be far too difficult to allow people to move/resize the taskbar - even though this has been one of the most basic and essential Windows features since the mainstream adoption of widescreen monitors.
Also, someone on the design team seems to think that slow "pretty" animations are more important than a quick/snappy user interface.

All of these people need an immediate and permanent removal from Microsoft's payroll. These people are the reason that 50% of all Microsoft products flop. These people are the sole reason that Microsoft still can't beat Apple in terms of market cap, despite higher market share and a wider portfolio of products.
Trim the fat, Microsoft.

Daniel Ridenhour

Requiring a microsoft account complicates resale.  I always reset a machine and set up a local account before offering a used machine for sale.  That way whoever im selling to can look over the machine.   Requiring a microsoft account complicates that...  you don't want to leave your microsoft account on a machine you sold... and someone doesn't want to put their microsoft account on a machine they don't own.    So your stuck with showing them a login screen to prove the computer works but they cant look at memory, storage, battery, etc. etc.    Makes it harder for both buyer and seller.

I change out hardware often, reselling old before they get too out of date helps make that less costly.  without resale ill buy new much less frequently.   

Thor11

Quote from: Puppy on April 19, 2022, 10:36:08
I always use Microsoft Account, as it is convenient to share data and settings between devices, but you can install Windows 11 (Pro) without it.

What I can't stand is #3. The Start menu looks like a dumb Android screen, that looks like a Palm OS home screen 25 years ago. No progress at all. I don't want such terrible feature downgrade on my PC. Windows 10 Start menu was perfect and I really like the live tile idea.

JohnPl129

I just can't stand it anymore. I used W11 for months and finally decided there were too many feature and behavior regressions for me to put up with. Bought my first Macbook and couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview