News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel downplays Alder Lake socket warping reports, warns 3D-printed brackets may void CPU warranty

Started by Redaktion, April 10, 2022, 21:36:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

An Intel spokesperson has responded to reports that the new Alder Lake processors' LGA1700 socket bracket may cause heat spreader warping and operating temperature rise. They warned that the slight 'deflection' isn't bringing the CPU out of specs and any aftermarket solution may void the processor's warranty.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-downplays-Alder-Lake-socket-warping-reports-warns-3D-printed-brackets-may-void-CPU-warranty.613197.0.html

Erik

Overclock already voids your warrant, IIRC Intel has discontinued the program of extended warranty that covered overclocks in 2021, so it doesn't really matter much, if at all.

TechGen

Quote from: Erik on April 11, 2022, 00:15:36
Overclock already voids your warrant, IIRC Intel has discontinued the program of extended warranty that covered overclocks in 2021, so it doesn't really matter much, if at all.

Erik, that is not true. In fact, Intel encourages overclocking and uses it as a marketing tactic. They even created a page for it on their website. Google intel overclocking

Intel only discourages overclocking and voids warranties on locked CPUs.

kek

I know most PC gamers build their own stuff, but they should check out the OEM builds to see how they are tackling this problem.

I can say for certain that Dell has always used their own IHS, which is different from the ones shipped with other motherboard makers.

vertigo

Sounds like another "it's not a defect, it's a featue" fiasco. Whether or not it negatively impacts performance, if it warps, and if that causes and increase in temperature, I'd say that's a flaw, and instead of just blowing it off and saying it's within spec, and even worse telling people they can't fix it themselves even though Intel refuses to do anything about it, they should just admit it's an issue and fix it.

Erik

Quote from: TechGen on April 11, 2022, 00:52:27Erik, that is not true. In fact, Intel encourages overclocking and uses it as a marketing tactic. They even created a page for it on their website. Google intel overclocking

Intel only discourages overclocking and voids warranties on locked CPUs.
I think you are probably wrong, K models are subject to the same 3 years limited warranty of the other boxed processors, you can check it from the intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/134599/intel-core-i912900k-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz/support.html
in the list of what this limited warranty does not cover, it says:
"any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel's publicly available specifications, including where clock frequencies or voltages
have been altered, or where the original identification markings have been removed, altered or obliterated. Intel assumes no responsibility that the
Product, including if used with altered clock frequencies or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose and will not cause any damage or injury."
intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/processors/Limited_Warranty_8.5x11_for_Web_English.pdf

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview