News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

LG Gram 16 and Gram 17 2022 launched in South Korea with Intel Alder Lake processors, a GeForce RTX 2050, 16:10 screen, and more

Started by Redaktion, March 21, 2022, 17:06:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

LG has refreshed the Gram 16 and Gram 17 with the newest Intel Alder Lake processors, a 16:10 screen, LPDDR5 RAM, PCIe Gen 4 storage and an optional Nvidia GeForce RTX 2050 graphics card. They can be pre-ordered in South Korea, starting at KRW 2.29 million (US$1,885) and KRW 2.39 million (US$1,970) for the 16-inch and 17-inch models, respectively

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gram-16-and-Gram-17-2022-launched-in-South-Korea-with-Intel-Alder-Lake-processors-a-GeForce-RTX-2050-16-10-screen-and-more.609280.0.html

NL

Kris

Usually we have glossy or matte displays, and here in the description we see anti-glare, so I wonder now what it is... I bet it's again glossy with some anti-glare coating, so a mirror another time!

RobertJasiek

If a manufacturer says "matte", it is matte. However, many manufacturers prefer to confuse us. "Anti-glare" is a typical PR term invented for the sake of creating confusion. Some manufacturers define their proprietary terms in some fine print, but I do not recall whether LG does so. Most uses of "anti-glare" by manufacturers mean what you indicate: glare but with some coating slightly reducing the worst mirroring. In the best such cases, it amounts to semi-matte, but we cannot know until we see it.

Dorby

"Anti-Glare" applies to Matte, "Anti-Reflection" applies to Glossy.

BOTH matte and glossy coatings can be reflective or non-reflective. It's just that matte displays are more commonly paired with the anti-glare feature. Anti-reflection is much more expensive and OEMs tend to skimp on putting it on glossy panels, which is why glossy displays are commonly reflective with a few exceptions (i.e. Apple).

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Dorby on March 22, 2022, 05:20:09glossy displays are commonly reflective with a few exceptions (i.e. Apple).

What exceptions? Apple's glossy displays are reflective but their coating reduces reflections from 5+% to ca. 2%. They are still mirrors: you see yourself, light through windows, lamps, sky or the sun.

A matte display should at most show some diffuse luster.

Dorby

@RobertJasiek:

Apple's coating lowers reflectivity from 9% to 1.5%.

Matte is limited under direct bright light sources due to light blooming effect, and reduces image contrast and sharpness, which is why I prefer Glossy AR. Matte works fine for office work reading text but you cannot use it outdoors or in a professionally lit indoors environment.

RobertJasiek

The lowest value I recall for iPads was 1.8%. Has there been a recent improvement to 1.5% or is that a value of some monitor?

You are right that matte differs but not every matte display has a significant light blooming effect, which tends to occur for higher pixel densities. Without the effect, matte is also suitable outdoors or in bright rooms.

Dorby

That is true, but high-quality matte is hard to come by, especially on laptops where manufacturers tend to skimp on display add-ons.

Apple's 1.5% reflectivity is from this source. Apple themselves have claimed it as well for the ProDisplay XDR, of which the same AR Glossy coating is used across all their products.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM5fQoI1R5Q

Dorby

Quote from: RobertJasiek on March 22, 2022, 18:03:03
Nice video, but 2% is the smallest number I see in it.
Their other videos have measured 1%-1.5% across ipads and macbooks. And I have yet to see a anti-glare windows laptop that looks better than a MacBook's glossy screen in a bright environment. If you are confident, please share your findings.

RobertJasiek

Choosing matte or glossy is also a matter of preference. Although some glare displays with coating look pretty good for glare displays, the best viewing angle is always the one mirroring oneself (and light sources). I always prefer matte because it is diffuse enough to never see myself besides the displayed contents.

DisplayMate's measurements of reflectance of iPads with coating has resulted in values 1.8 - 2.5% (I have not read any most recent tests yet though), considers two kinds of such values and is done by a physician. When you refer to the other person's values 1 - 1.5%, that must mean that the different value ranges are caused by different measurement tools or qualities of tools and measurements.

mgistr

Rather than adding a dedicated GPU that would probably require more cooling and distort the thermals/quite operation, LG would have been better served by fixing the one weakness the 2021 model had... the speakers.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview