News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Qualcomm combines Snapdragon 5G modems and M.2 cards to make connectivity upgrades in next-gen PCs easier

Started by Redaktion, March 01, 2022, 00:25:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Qualcomm has announced that all an OEM looking to make a new 5G-capable laptop needs is a spare M.2 slot in their prototype's design. This is because the company has invented a module with the corresponding form-factor with a Snapdragon X-series modem on-board. It may thus confer high-speed standalone connectivity on the machine in which it is installed.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualcomm-combines-Snapdragon-5G-modems-and-M-2-cards-to-make-connectivity-upgrades-in-next-gen-PCs-easier.605047.0.html

San Frandisco

"all you need is an empty M.2 slot" - a multitude of M.2 slot types are currently in use, like, M-Key slots are for SATA SSDs. Which one was Qualcomm talking about?

Anonym

This is great and all, but computer manufacturers already enforce WWAN whitelists that effectively disable these cards unless the manufacturer profits from its sale... I mean, does validations for "safety" and "compliance"; it's totally for "safety" and "compliance".

Anonym

In all fairness, the press released seems geared towards OEMs and how easy it will be to integrate 5G into their products. It will not work that well for end costumers, for the reasons stated in my prior comment (i.e., the whitelists).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview