News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 5: Lenovo's latest premier multimedia laptop arrives with Intel Alder Lake vPro processors and an optional RTX 3080 Ti

Started by Redaktion, February 28, 2022, 09:01:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo has refreshed the ThinkPad X1 Extreme, its flagship multimedia laptop. Now on its fifth generation, the ThinkPad X1 Extreme includes powerful Intel Alder Lake processors and a choice of four dedicated NVIDIA GPUs. Lenovo continues to equip the ThinkPad X1 Extreme with socketed RAM and storage too.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-Gen-5-Lenovo-s-latest-premier-multimedia-laptop-arrives-with-Intel-Alder-Lake-vPro-processors-and-an-optional-RTX-3080-Ti.604798.0.html

Ednumero

Solid and timely GPU and CPU bump.

I do wonder why there isn't an OLED option yet, or why the 2560x1600 panel isn't high-refresh-rate like the 1920x1200 one is. Still better to have the 1920x1200 that way than none, though.

I'd also prefer an on-cell touch panel over the huge laminated glass layer, but that's on panel OEMs to make available.

thegeforce

Hope they have improved the design to allow 2x M.2 SSD's with any GPU configuration.
The Extreme G4 was so close to being my next laptop, except you could only use 2x M.2 SSD's with the RTX 3050 graphics, upgrading the GPU to a RTX 3060 or higher would only allow you to have 1x M.2 SSD and that was a deal breaker for me.

8K Videographer

Things I'd like to see in Gen6:
- 120W RTX 4080
- Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut liquid metal on both GPU and CPU
- blockier chassis for more cooling
- Similar 3D performance as Asus M16

The closest alternative (faster but less professional looking, worse webcam and no page up/down keys) is the Asus M16 with RTX 3080 Ti (£3500/€3600).

Brad Collins

Quote from: 8K Videographer on March 06, 2022, 16:07:47
Things I'd like to see in Gen6:
- 120W RTX 4080
- Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut liquid metal on both GPU and CPU
- blockier chassis for more cooling
- Similar 3D performance as Asus M16

The closest alternative (faster but less professional looking, worse webcam and no page up/down keys) is the Asus M16 with RTX 3080 Ti (£3500/€3600).

The larger physical size and more powerful cards makes it seem like you're after the P1 which I'm guessing will be refreshed from 15.6" and 17.3" very soon into a new model with Alder Lake. Give it a few months and it'll be out.

Lorry

Quote from: Brad Collins on March 07, 2022, 07:59:29
The larger physical size and more powerful cards makes it seem like you're after the P1 which I'm guessing will be refreshed from 15.6" and 17.3" very soon into a new model with Alder Lake. Give it a few months and it'll be out.

I think you mean P15/17. They use slower Max-Q GPU configurations. Judging by past reviews, their cooling systems are not designed for long periods of high CPU + GPU combined load, unlike gaming laptops.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview